Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoJim View Post
Gripper

If you are still following this thread I can report that pulling the IGN fuse saves my battery. I have already got the material I need to put a switch in the line so I don't have to bother with the fuse. Thanks for the info, you have been a great help. I am still curious about why there is no mention of this in my manual.

Jim
Yes, I am following the thread. I couldn't find the info in my manual either. I can't remember how I got the information, probably, from the dealer, when I bought the car. I wanted to be "very certain" that the car could be towed, so I may have pressed the dealer, for proof. Glad that you found the way to stop killing your battery and I'm glad to be of help. This site has been so helpful to me, many times.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious if you start and run the engine every 200 miles and run it through the gears?
Hi Arch. I don't know if you are addressing me or AvoJim, but I do not do that. I usually don't drive over 300 miles a day, to the next stop, so I just wait until I get there and then unhook/start the car. I don't start the car or "run" thru the gears, when I stop for fuel either. Never had any problems.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoJim View Post
Gripper

If you are still following this thread I can report that pulling the IGN fuse saves my battery. I have already got the material I need to put a switch in the line so I don't have to bother with the fuse. Thanks for the info, you have been a great help. I am still curious about why there is no mention of this in my manual.

Jim
We tow an 08 Vue also and it doesn't say anything in the manual about the fuse either, the dealership knew we were going to tow it and added addition to the manual on regular paper about towing and pulling the fuse. We also added a switch so we don't have to pull the fuse.
Also if we are traveling and are spending the night with the car still attached I unplug the electrical cord from the car until morning.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Section 4-42 and 4-43 of our 2008 Saturn Vue reference the procedure for towing and mentions pulling the IGN fuse with its location referencing section 5-97. We also have been towing ours for (3) yrs with 0 problems and also use the rocker switch mentioned by gripper. When we get t a cg, the first thing we do is turn the rocker switch on and start the car, letting it run until we are set up. The "only" time we have had any trouble was when I forgot to use the rocker switch to kill the power to the fuse. Trust me, the battery will be down/dead when you arrive at your destination. Another thing you may/may not encounter is when you first drive the Vue after towing, you might notice the smell of burnt rubber inside. This is only from minute tire particles, etc picked up from the road and usually picked uo through the radiatior and deposited on the engine/exhaust manifold. Will eventually burn off so turn the inside car vent on recirculate until then.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
For what it's worth, to others reading this, I remember now, how I learned which fuse to pull. Camping World did my complete installation of the base plate, tow bar and electrical. When the mechanic took me over the hookup procedures, he showed me, which one to pull. "Kudos to Camping World"!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Hi Arch. I don't know if you are addressing me or AvoJim, but I do not do that. I usually don't drive over 300 miles a day, to the next stop, so I just wait until I get there and then unhook/start the car. I don't start the car or "run" thru the gears, when I stop for fuel either. Never had any problems.
Was asking AvoJim but everybody is included in my questions. It seems to me if you did that perhaps the dead battery problem would be solved.

I've towed a Suzuki, Miata and a Lexus and never had a problem but I think certain cars tend to draw more power in the accessory position.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad