Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #1

Toad brake

Good morning all
We just bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport as our toad. Question: which braking system do you all like/think/feel is best. I have done alittle research on line I like the Blue Ox system [no wires] if I read correctly. The hitch also seems like it is strong as well. We had a Blue Ox hook up on a trailer and liked it. Any and all comments and advice is helpful. Thank you Steve Lambert

slamberte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #2

I went with the complete Blue Ox system on my MH/Wrangler....Put the base plate on myself, no problems......I went with the Patriot braking system, works well.....

I think any of the major brands are fine and able to do the job....

sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

I have the Patriot and it works well. Easy set set. Only Con is having to put it in and take it out each time and storing it someplace when not in use.
There are others on the market that have a permanent set up but I cannot vouch for the Porportional Braking capabilities and Standard Breakaway System that the Patriot has.
I think if I were going to spend the money again, I would be looking at some of the other systems available.
Now I got you really confused.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have a ' 13 Wrangler 4 door auto and use the Brake Buddy. Not my choice, but the dealer selling the Air Force 1 wanted nearly as much to install the system as it would have cost me. The problem I have encountered is the cigar lighter is not 'hot' when I turn the switch off. Have to run a wire from the battery to an added 12 volt plug to power the BB. I then added a charge line from the MH battery system to the Jeep battery to keep it charged on long hauls
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Force One
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an RVI Brake and used it with my Jeep wen the Jeep was totaled (not being toaded) I was able to move my RVI to the new vehicle . Have used it driving 14,000 miles with no problems. as to tow bar Blue Ox is the best, But Demco also works good
seadragonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragonfla View Post
I have an RVI Brake and used it with my Jeep wen the Jeep was totaled (not being toaded) I was able to move my RVI to the new vehicle . Have used it driving 14,000 miles with no problems. as to tow bar Blue Ox is the best, But Demco also works good
Have you ever used a Roadmaster tow bar? If not, then how do you know the Blue Ox is the best? And even if you have, isn't this just your opinion and should be stated as such.

To the OP, you might look into the Ready Brake System. Have heard good things about it.

We use the US Gear Unified system, but it requires a pretty extensive installation procedure. However, it is totally invisible and requires no other input from the user...no wires or cables to hook up or disconnect.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Have you ever used a Roadmaster tow bar? If not, then how do you know the Blue Ox is the best? And even if you have, isn't this just your opinion and should be stated as such. :bang head:...
Ron...bless your heart but isn't most of what is posted based on IRV2 (or any similar web site) opinion? Besides, perhaps the use of "best" was just a case of hyperbole? Just saying'...
Old 08-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also use the Blue Ox tow bar and their Patriot braking system. LOVE their tow bar... and the braking system is solid.

My only gripe is that their wireless remote control for the Patriot unit struggles to maintain connection to the box itself in my 40'DP. We didn't have as much trouble in our previous 35' gas A, though even then it would sometimes loose connection.

Note that the braking system does not require the remote control, so you're still o.k. to drive. But I like seeing when the brakes are engaging/not, and having the ability to adjust the sensitivity. I always try the remote, but after it starts returning the dreaded "C" on screen, accompanied by the error beep, I usually unplug it and carry on without it.

Blue Ox suggested that I somehow mount the remote on my Driver's side window. I'm not willing to do that, as it would restrict my ability to use that window...and it'd look plain silly there. I wish that BO would make a RF repeater for that remote, like many of the RF TPMS manufacturers have.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

I use the Ready Brute Elite that is a tow bar and braking system combined. Has worked well for me towing my Jeep Wrangler. I think this system is the cheapest to purchase. Installed the Blue Ox base plate. I picked the Blue Ox over other base plates only because online instructions looked like it was easier to install than the others, and they are a quality company as the others are. I was able to install the above brake system and base plate in one day.

Recently changed from CoolTech wiring harness to Mopar harness. Did this after learning from others on this forum that the harness may cause an electrical feed back to the Jeep electrical system. CoolTech harness also has a conflict between the blinker and brake light. This info was provided by CoolTech owner. Mopar harness instructions look like it can be a PITA to install but I did not find that to be true.

Full disclosure I will be installing the M&G air braking system next month but will continue to use the Ready Brute tow bar. Making the change because I now have coach with air brakes and want proportional braking.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We have a ' 13 Wrangler 4 door auto and use the Brake Buddy. Not my choice, but the dealer selling the Air Force 1 wanted nearly as much to install the system as it would have cost me. The problem I have encountered is the cigar lighter is not 'hot' when I turn the switch off. Have to run a wire from the battery to an added 12 volt plug to power the BB. I then added a charge line from the MH battery system to the Jeep battery to keep it charged on long hauls
I realize it's too late as you have already installed a 12V outlet, but you have a 12V outlet in the center console that is always hot as it is connected directly to the battery.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #12

Slamberte5.....congrats on the Wrangler. Great choice. My signature tells it all.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use the Brake Buddy classic with Roadmaster Falcon 2 hitch. It does the job.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad