Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Toad Brake - Based on Usage

There are many threads about tow bars, brakes, and the like, but I couldn't find one that addressed the subject from this viewpoint.

The wife and I have a 2014 ACE 27.1, and plan to pull our Equinox with it. The Equinox is my regular vehicle - I drive it about 20K miles per year. We plan to use the MH approximately 5-7 times per year, and seldom will we put over 600 miles on it one way in any trip. Most trips will be 200 miles (one way), or less.

Considering the fact that we won't tow with it often, and that my Equinox gets used daily, can anyone recommend the brand of braking system I should use, or recommend we NOT use a particular system? I have some reservations about spending $1200 on a technical, integrated system for something we will use only a few times a year (of course, I could be coming at this from the wrong view).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx,
T_Van

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

You're going to hear 100 different suggestions, but I bought a Brake Buddy off Ebay for about $300 and have been using it for years. It's easy to install and when you remove it doesn't leave a trace. Other's will tell you that you're gonna need a blah blah blah, or one that's permanently mounted is the way to go, but mine works, it was cheap, and I like it.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I concur with topdownman... I am using the essentially the same thing (but I paid a lot more for mine new). Mine is called the "Patriot," sold by BlueOx. It is literally a box that sits on the Driver's side floor of the TOAD with an arm that connects easily to your brake pedal, and a 12v plug. It works by inertia--when it feels a quick stop, it applies the brakes. The harder the stop, the harder the brake. It does nothing if properly set up and a gentle gliding stop. Takes a little getting used to to achieve a proper setup, but after a few trips you'll have it all figured out. Easy-peesy.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

X2, Bought used Brake Buddy off Craigslist. Works for me.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X3 on the Brake Buddy. I have a 2013 Equinox, check the plug in the back. Mine is hot all the time. If you get a BB you can use that for your 12 v source. I just cut the plug and added some wire .
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
RVI Brake System and its only 8 pounds and simple to use!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

And, it's only $1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroethke View Post
RVI Brake System and its only 8 pounds and simple to use!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #8

topdownman,

Only $1250, my thoughts exactly. Of course that's not to take away from the quality of the product, but for as many times as I'll be towing the Equinox, I'm not sure this is a good use of my resources.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #9

I cringed at laying out the money for my Brake Buddy, but because my dinghy is over 3000 lbs, it requires an independent braking system to be legal. My other concern was liability in a collision if the dinghy was not properly equipped. It works fine and I can feel it braking. Only concern is it is a power hog and can drain a car battery very quickly. You need an auxillary power line from the coach to trickle charge your dinghy battery when being towed.
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

I've towed with a Brake Buddy for many thousands of miles and have never had it run the battery down on my Jeep. These include many days of "death march" where I start out early in the morning and drive until well after-dark. After stopping, I always run the Jeep for a few minutes just to recharge if needed, but it's never been an issue. I do not have a charging line from the MH to the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARollingHome View Post
I cringed at laying out the money for my Brake Buddy, but because my dinghy is over 3000 lbs, it requires an independent braking system to be legal. My other concern was liability in a collision if the dinghy was not properly equipped. It works fine and I can feel it braking. Only concern is it is a power hog and can drain a car battery very quickly. You need an auxillary power line from the coach to trickle charge your dinghy battery when being towed.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the Ready Brake system and for my money I think it is the best bang for the buck...but just remember, it's not how often you go or how many miles you travel, it's that one time you need to come to a quick emergent stop that you'll be glad you have a supplemental braking system regardless of cost....and besides it's the law...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
My towed is also a daily driver. The problem I have is, the brakes on the towed are not vacuum, and due to it's weight I am close to what a Ready Brake is rated for. I was able to find an EvenBrake here on the iRV2 classifieds.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #13

As mentioned above, I'd keep a close watch on Craigslist or ebay until you find a good price on a "brake in a box" set up. I use a Blue Ox Patriot that was used less than a year that I found on Craigslist for half price of a new one.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not like systems like the Brake Buddy, Even Brake, et-al (Box in driver's seat) because there is too much temptation on a short drive to say "Forget it" and there is always the chance of a mistake when you install it.. I much prefer installed systems.. Of which there are many.

Surge brakes are what I plan on putting on my towed... but I would not recommend them for you either.. REASON.. They need regular use and you wont' be doing that.

That leaves many other systems;...

IF ACE has air brakes and the slave module fits,, M&G

Air force one

Any RV
Iinvisi brake
US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator
SMI Stay and play

And a long list of other electric or self contained systems.

Tags
brake, toad