Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Here we go again Steve,

It's the US Gear Unified Tow Brake, by popular opinion
By the way, great first name Steve.

Steve Bernard
Gasser/ Ford

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Hardy (Del) is always right

Once the US Gear Unified Tow Brake is installed you (almost) never have to give it another thought. Should I ever have to install a toad brake I would install this again - no if's and no but's.
I pay DW to tell me that all the time

Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for M&G. Great setup, shortens overall braking distance.

Bud
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning all:
Thanks for all the great input.
I'm leaning on the M&G system (really like the idea of using the air), but will look a lot harder at the mods required to the Jeep before I bite. M&G emailed me the list of mods required to make the system fit. When they talk of things like moving and cutting fuse boxes, shortening vacume booster studs, and taking a hammer or a grinder to the fender, it makes me wonder what my wife will say when she sees what I'm doing to her baby.
If none of this pans out, I'll go with the UTB.
Thanks again.
Stay safe.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
then how about one of the drop-in lunch box brakes, since hacking up the toad is not exactly what you want to do? "Best" means more than just the absolute mostest biggest baddest priciest most like a professional trucker, and something like a Brake Buddy requires virtually no vehicle mods and won't cost you an arm, leg, and first born child. Of course, you have to "install" it each time you use it, but that takes all of a minute. Total vehicle modifications consist of running the break-away wire from the front bumper to the box. Thousands of people seem to be satisfied with this kind of system, and it appears to meet legal requirements.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just got the AirForce 1 from SMI...very pleased..relatively easy install...proportional braking...would like a better indicator then an LED on the hood of the Toad but...will work on that. Towing an MKS
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks mscully:
I was going to ask if anyone had any reccomendations on the SMI Air Force One product. After all, they do help sponsor the site. I spent some time under the hood of the Jeep yesterday and determined the M&G would fit, but it would be a "hack" job to get it in. Not my style, so I've abondoned the M&G. Still like the idea of using the coach air to ingage the toad brake and the SMI looks like it may do the job. Also liked the Brakemaster, but I want a plug and go option without hanving to put something in and take it out everytime I tow.
Any other thoughts on the AFO are appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #22

2006 wrangler M&G bought it used 5 years ago installed it myself. It Requires no adjustment just hook it up and go. If you have a gas coach they make a small compressor you put in one of your storage bays route a hyd brake line through it 12 volts, I helped a install one in a class C the systems just work like they are supposed to only way to go
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have the SMI plug and play..for gas. We have only pulled the toad home recently from install. We leave on the 17th for first actual trip pulling the toad. I will say it really seems simple, sensitivity adjustable, no boxes, just plug in and un plug..that simple. As far as how well it actually brakes...I'am still a rookie so I will update later..
Good Luck and Happy adventures,
Barney
Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Well..I ended up installing the Air Force One today. It was a very easy install. Everything was in the kit from SMI. The hardest part was crawling around, in, out, and under the coach, and under the dash of the Jeep. Thank God for Advil. Seems to work well, but the road test will have to wait until next week.
I'm also installing trailer brakes for my tow trailer, but I can't find the termination plug under the dash. I did find a four plug mini plug with three wies and a blue wire loose, but they seem too small for the trailer brake. It was located near the headlight switch. For those who have experience with the UTB install, do you have any reccomendations where to look for the prewire hookp on an 08 Camelot?
Thanks for all your input.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a US gear when I had a towed and likely will when I next get a towed,, Great system I highly recommend it.

The M&G should not need that much modification.. With a jeep and a DP, that's kind of what they designed it for.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepkam
What's the best system if you don't have a DP and therefore no air pressure? Getting ready to buy a Honda-CRV as a toad.
We just had the US Gear (Unified) system installed on our CR-V. Wouldn't know it's there and I liked the trickle charge to the toad battery. Shouldn't have to mess with removal of the radio fuse recommended by Honda for "extended" towing.

Jim
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #27

US Gear, by a mile, works best! I have had all three & UTB is just fantastic. I have one in my Cherokee & love it.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may want to look at the "readybrake" system. I use it on our Wrangler and so far it's trouble free. No boxes, no electricity, and no tapping in to your braking system. I'm very happy with mine.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote