Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post Toad brake for active brake system.

I would like to hear any review of add on brakes for Toads, that will work with an active brake system. I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, and the Even Brake system that I have, will not work because of the active brake. I have heard that some systems that claim to work with a pressure reducer add on do not work well either.

JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post
I would like to hear any review of add on brakes for Toads, that will work with an active brake system. I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, and the Even Brake system that I have, will not work because of the active brake. I have heard that some systems that claim to work with a pressure reducer add on do not work well either.
Jim,
Call US Gear and speak with them. Your Winnibago is pre-wired for there brake system. I also installed the Unified Tow brake and it works great and my Monaco was also pre-wired for it.

Here is the link and it mentions Hybrid's.

Unified Tow Brake by U.S. Gear

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If "active brake" is anything like the GM Hydro-boost system, then yes there are toad brakes that work with it. Roadmaster's Brakemaster system has a pressure reducer for use with Hydro-boost and I think I've read of others as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Jim,
Call US Gear and speak with them. Your Winnibago is pre-wired for there brake system. I also installed the Unified Tow brake and it works great and my Monaco was also pre-wired for it.

Here is the link and it mentions Hybrid's.

Unified Tow Brake by U.S. Gear

2nd.. US Gear :::: Unified Brake System (The BEST)
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:

Jim,

SMI's braking systems work on any car and are by far the best I have run across. I have the Air Force One and it is a pleasure to use. Check out SMI's website. Also you can go to Discount Towing Supply for some great prices.http://www.discounttowingsupply.org
Old 02-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have the same toad and put over 6K miles a year towing the unit. I use the BrakeMaster system, I've had it in two MH's and would not be without it. The Brakemaster is a very good system with Hybrid toads. My buddy uses the same system with his 2006 Hybrid.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After new Instalation. (SMI Dual)

This was a unnecessarily long research process. I was going to get the Unified Tow Brake System, but every installer I called had a different story and out of 10 calls, none could answer questions about working with Hybrid toads. On top of the that the prices were all over the board, from $1,100.00 to $1,600.00. I lost confidence. Other systems were similar, but not as bad. The SMI system, was much more clear and after contacting four installers, they all had the same answers and appeared to understand how and if it would work on a hybrid. The price was within $50.00 for each installer. I ended up spending just under $1,500.00, and I had a wire already installed from the front to the rear of the coach for the brake use light.

Strangely enough just after I left them and drove the coach and toad back to the storage building a driver about 5 cars in front of me decided to be a good Samaritan and stop to allow someone to turn in front of them rather than wait any longer. This was obviously a last minute decision. I had what I considered plenty of room, but everyone squealed to a stop and I had to apply my brakes more than normal. I could feel the toad help and I stopped without turning my knuckles white.

What I don't like is the box that houses the switch and inertia device is right where we step in the car. They said it had to go there because of the emergency brake pedal taking all the space up forward. They said it had to go on that side. We have already kicked it accidentally and turned the switch on inadvertently. I think they should provide an option for a unit that can be used on the other side. Also it looks like a box made 20 years ago in someones garage. The other thing is the breakaway box sticks out too far and is an invitation for someone to vandalize it. I am going to move that to a more appropriate place. It looks fine when the tow bar assembly is on but take that off and it sticks out from the bumper at least two inches. If I would have known we were going to have the control box where it is I would have declined this system. Oh well, at least it works wonderfully!
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

Anybody like to comment on the surge brake. I had one on a boat trailer once & it worked extremly well.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

I use D-Brake's Professional Tow brake. I don't use it on a hybrid, but I know they do work for hybrids.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Questions concerning US Gear braking system for Hybrids are probably best handled by US Gear themselves. Good question. Please let us know if you find out anything
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I use a Roadmaster system on my 2005 escape hybrid. It required a pressure regulator to keep the electric brakes from braking too hard. I bought an inexpensive air brush controller and it works fine.

Hey! this is my first post. I just joined 5min ago.

Tags
brrake, hybrid, toad