Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #1

Toad brake light question

I have a Canyon set up to flat tow and have a question on the brake light wiring. It is wired and works through the motor home plug in. There are diodes in the tail lights from the motor home.
If I use a auxiliary brake set up that pushes on the pedal, will there be a conflict in lighting the brake lights. Both motor home and toad will be sending current to light the lights.

Thanks for input
Will
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

Not an expert but I think if the polarity is the same there should be no problem.twelve volts positive is still twelve volts positive no matter where it comes from.If somehow the polarity got reversed it could be a different situation.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wish I could draw a schematic on here but will try to explain the purpose of the diode. Your diode has a positive connection for both the RV system and the Toad system which feeds the light bulb. If current is flowing from the RV THEN the diode side from the toad is powered up at the same time the first one to power up will feed the bulb. To answer the question there will not be any conflict between the 2 systems.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

The answer is "It depends."

The folks at etrailer.com have a decent write-up explaining when there may be a conflict between RV turn/brake and toad independent brake signals, at this URL:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Brak.../RM-88400.html

The section "Is a Relay Required?" is especially helpful. In my installation, my answers were "yes," "yes," "no," "yes" and "yes," so I didn't need the relay. (I used a TowDaddy harness)

You may also want to look at this URL:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiri...92-118158.html

for an explanation about how six-diode systems work.

Finally, look at the diagrams on page 4 (last page) of the attached Adobe PDF file.

I hope this helps!

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-1722-11.pdf (613.9 KB, 43 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If I understand the problem correctly the potential for conflict is not one that will harm the electrical systems if wired properly (presumably with diodes as you have stated). It seems the potential for conflict comes in on some installations when you put your turn signal on in the motorhome and the toad turn signal starts to flash with it. Good so far. But, as you brake in the motorhome with the turn signal on, if the auxiliary braking system also applies the brake pedal in the toad, the power from the toads electrical system will illuminate the toads brake lights and in some cases where the brake light bulb is the same as the turn signal bulb the toad tail light will appear as a solid non-blinking light since it is getting continuous power from the toads battery. The result.....the motorhome's blinker keeps giving a blinking signal but the toad seems to stop blinking and illuminates the brake lights.
There is a modification for this if it happens in your installation. We were concerned about it at first but so far have done nothing about changing our system. Our theory is that since the auxiliary brake is only applying itself for a few seconds and since the motorhome's blinker keeps working throughout the process, there really isn't much of a problem....if any. Cars behind should still see your intention to turn and the toad, while momentarily not blinking, will show a brake light.
This may or may not happen on your installation. You' ll have to check it out. But if it does and if you decide to do something about it the etrailer relay product may be your answer. You have to make the final decision as to what is safest for you and gives you peace of mind. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
On both my toads I bought the Roadmaster brake light relay and installed it. Took me maybe 30 minutes, and most of that time was figuring out which wire, and how to get to where I wanted to mount it. It is around $30, but no more brake lights overriding the turn signals. http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-884.../dp/B003VASGIO
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will there be a conflict in the brake light setup: NO. there will not.

There WILL however be sort of a conflict in the turn signals.

When the towed's brakes are engaged the turn signal on the TOWED will not flash.. The one on the motor home will continue to work normally but the one on the TOWED will not.

Brake systems for the twoed come in basicay 3 or 4 classes
Surge brakes.. As you come up to the corner and apply brakes to slow the towed brakes engage, thus preventing flashing of the towed turn signal, as you come to a stop at the stop sign/red light. the brakes releaSe

Electric controlled: See above

Electric NOT controlled (ON/OFF) Have not seen such a system in longer than I can recall (See The Long Long Traier with Lucy and Desi)

Air/hydraulid powered by Motor home air brakes.. M&G does not push pedal. Pedal push/pullers will follow the brake pedal in the MH.

NOTE: this can be fixed but frankly it is not a problem.. If they can not see the turn signal on the motor home they are not going to pay attention to the one on the towed and the only time it REALLY matters (over stop) is when lane changing.. and in that case you are not using the brakes (At an intersection the brake lights are more important) .
Old 09-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

Thumbs up

THANKS to all replies
I get it now
Sometimes it just takes a certain way told to make something click.
This is why I read this website daily.
Thanks again
Will
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, toad