Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

The brake system installed on my toad is started when I touch the brakes on the coach and the brake lights on the coach are lite. Works great, all is well. I recently changed coaches and now have a Fleet Revalution with a 400 CAT. I am learning that when I turn on the engine brake and it is activated by removing my foot from the acceleerator, the brake lights are activated on the coach. The reasoning I understand, BUT this also starts the braking process on my toad which I don't want. Does anyone know how I can change this so the brake lights are not activated with the activation of the engine brake??
Mike 07 Rev 40V
michaelgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #2

The brake system installed on my toad is started when I touch the brakes on the coach and the brake lights on the coach are lite. Works great, all is well. I recently changed coaches and now have a Fleet Revalution with a 400 CAT. I am learning that when I turn on the engine brake and it is activated by removing my foot from the acceleerator, the brake lights are activated on the coach. The reasoning I understand, BUT this also starts the braking process on my toad which I don't want. Does anyone know how I can change this so the brake lights are not activated with the activation of the engine brake??
Mike 07 Rev 40V
Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
Welcome to iRV2. What toad breaking system do you have installed?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:20 AM   #4

We have a ToadStop System. The system works fine, it is the ability to de=activate the brake lights on the coach by the engine brake I am trying to stop.
Thank you Mike
Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I am not familar with the ToadStop system, sorry.

Gut feel says you need to eliminate the engine brake from turning on the brake lights. Or trash the Toad Stop and get a braking system that is activated differently.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem with my Jacobs exhaust brake. I had my Roadmaster Evenbrake system wired by a "professional" so I knew it was right. I discovered too late when I activated the exhaust brake it also applied the toad brakes which in turn caused them to overheat on long grades. The light on the brake controller that illuminates when the toad brakes are applied never did come on except when I used the service brakes. This ruined the rotors and pads on a new truck and they had to be replaced. The techs never could determine what was wrong so I trashed the Roadmaster system and installed an M&G air brake system. Now I can hook up my toad brake and know it's right in about 5 seconds. I might add it's worked flawlessly for a year a half. Good luck with your problem.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Michael,

This may take a little work with the chassis wiring diagram, but you could add a relay such that the coil is activated by the exhaust brake circuit. Use a normally closed contact on the relay in series with the line going to the toad's brake light circuit. When the exhaust brake is activated, the relay will turn off the toad's brake lights and keep the toad's brakes from engaging. When the service brakes are activated, the toad's brakes will work.

If both are activated, the relay will keep the toad's brakes from working. If that is not OK, a second relay can be added to interrupt the exhaust brake relay coil circuit and over ride its function. That way, whenever the service brakes are used, the toad's brakes will work. When only the exhaust brake is activated, the toad's brakes will not activate.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to find the cold side of the brake light switch so that when the coach brake pedal is applied that will activate rather than the brake lights coming on. If the is no brake light switch on the pedal, you may need to figure out how to add one.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #9

I hsd that problem with my unified tow brake system and they installed a filter or something like that. Now when the jake brake comes on it does not activate the toad brakes, they only activate when the brake pedal is pushed. The coach lights still come on when the jake brake is used.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #10

I guess I am on the other side with this one. The guy behind you does not know which method you ar using to slow down, i.e. service brakes or exhaust brake. However, I think he needs to be so warned. My own thinking is to ease up on the sensitivity setting on your auxillary brake. If you ever get into a panic stop situation you just might want to have all 3 systems in full activation
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I agree with Ken, I want the vehicle behind me to know that some sort of braking is going on. Our Endeavor turns on the brake lights when the PacBrake is activated but since the M&G operates off of the coach air brakes the toad brakes are not activated until the coach air brakes are applied. Got to believe Toad Stop has been approached by this issue and should have a solution. If they don't you might be able to add an air activated switch to the air brake system to only activate the Toad Stop only when the brakes are actually applied.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #12

I don't know if this would work for you or not. There is a device called "brake switch" which I have installed on my MH which does not engage the exhaust brake until I put my foot on the brake pedal. This also keeps the brake lights from coming on until I press on the brakes. When I hit the "gas" again (I have a diesel pusher), the exhaust brake is disengaged and the brake lights go off. Also, I never dis-engage the exhaust brake -- it stays activated all the time so it is there whenever I press the brake pedal. You can call the man who sells them and he will tell you if it is practicle for your MH.

The contact information is:

BrakeSwitch
Mooresville, NC 28117
Phone 888-349-5414 | Fax 704-696-0125 | Email: hhawks@msn.com

I don't have any investment in the company or receive any other compensation for the recommendation but, I do have and use his product and have been very satisfied with it.

You might check it out.