Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Toad Brake lockup while not being towed. Blue Ox and Brake Buddy

Today my daughter was driving our 2007 Saturn Vue and the brakes all of a sudden locked up for no apparent reason. I left the car in California for my daughter to drive and the lockup incident happened a couple of hours ago right before a railroad track and she barely made it across the track. She said it happened all of a sudden and she "gunned it" to get past the tracks. A man happened by and looked "under the hood" and somehow got them released and went on his way. She did not know what he did but she drove it to a nearby Goodyear store where we had a complete brake job done two days ago.

I made a stupid error last week and left the emergency brake on when towing. This fried the brakes and I had to replace drums, shoes, calipers, cylinder, fluid etc. This work was done Tuesday. I am wondering if this brake work could have somehow bothered the brake buddy or Blue Ox system and caused the malfunction. The brakes were done by the Goodyear store and I spoke to the guys there a while ago but they knew nothing about the toad braking system.

We have a new Brake Buddy system installed with a Blue Ox tow bar system and tow the Vue behind our 2007 Holiday Rambler that we recently purchased. We have driven it about 3,000 miles and have not had any problems while towing with the system activated with no problems.

I have not had a chance to talk to the installing dealer who is here in Michigan. I will call them tomorrow. I know very little about this since I am a new RV owner. Is this a common problem that can occur? Strange that it happened when the Vue was not being towed. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
cgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgerhardt View Post
I made a stupid error last week and left the emergency brake on when towing. .
Welcome to iRV2 and I can guarantee you with certainty that you are not the first person to do that.

Unless I'm missing something, I would be more inclined to think the malfunction had to do with the recent brake work than with anything in your towing and toad braking system. What model Brake Buddy is it?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad