Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Toad brake pedal is hard to push

I am new to towing w/ 4 down, as a matter of fact I haven't bought anything yet, just doing the research.
I want to tow my Silverado Z71 so the other day I was playing with the transfer case and did figure out how to make it go into neutral....no problem.
I let it roll in the driveway just to check out the neutral and I discovered two things. 1. it is very hard to turn the steering wheel and 2. the brake is hard as a rock to push.
All that being said my question is, do these brake systems like the surge type, (Blue Ox, auto stop and ReadyBrute Elite) and the Patriot "box in the floor" work all that good since the pedal is so hard to push? Not to mention how hard the steering wheel is to turn without the motor running.

Upstate South Carolina
2002 Discovery 37U
330 CAT power
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Any time the engine isn't running, the brake is going to be tough to push. We pull a 2011 Silverado and have about 50,000 tow miles on it. We take it to Alaska every 2 years and to Arizona every winter. You might want to consider a different brake system if you're the least bit handy and will be removing and installing the "brake in a box" a lot. We use an air system called Air Force One. We've had the setup on 3 different class A's and just love it. True proportional system, it meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, can't tell it's permanently mounted in the truck all the time so no install and remove at each stop, and takes about 10 seconds to hook up when it's time to leave. Only drawback is that you have to pick one position for the brake and gas pedal. Can't use the pedal adjust switch as the pedal activator is attached to the fire wall. If we ever have to replace the present system, we'd get this one again.

2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your silverado has one of two brake boost systems. Vacuum boost which needs to have the engine running or another vacuum source to work, And Hydro boost which needs the power steering pump (Attached to and powered by the enigne) or another source to work.

Llikely vacuum

Ready Brake, And Apolo auto stop should compensate

Some pedal pushers (most box in the driver's seat) require you to blead off the vacuum (Pump 'em a few tmes before installing the box when you tow)

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelarator either provides a vacuum pump or a way to turn on your aux brake hudraulic (hydro bost) pump) So do some other systems.

Alas, I've just listed the ones I know about here.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
You've received some good answers so far. But, just for your info, the primary reason you felt such a hard pedal and, very difficult steering is, because you're working AGAINST the components that do the "Powering" of power brakes and power steering. In essence, you're "fighting" them.

The Ready Brake system, also can coupled with the "Ready Brute" tow bar system, is advertised as working just fine when the "power" (or vacuum I should say) is depleted. I've used the Ready Brake system for quite a while now and it works flawless without having the "Power assist" of the engine vacuum to aid it's operation. You can of course, purchase a separate vacuum pump if you desire, but, it's not needed and, Ready Brake can confirm that since they're the ones doing all the testing.

We tow a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab and, the Ready Brake works flawless in that unit. As for the power steering, the exerted turning force on that front end (of the toad) is way more than enough to "force" the front wheels to turn in the direction needed to complete a turn and follow the coach without issue.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Brake Buddy is designed to work with no boost for the brakes. It has a Bleed button that pumps the brake pedal 3 or 4 times to bleed off any vacuum boost that is in the system. It exerts enough force on the pedal to brake effectively without any boost. In fact, one time I accidentally left they keys in Ignition instead of Accessory so the boost pump was running. The first time I braked the MH there was a loud squeal and the toad practically stood on its nose when the Brake Buddy kicked in.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, toad