Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #15

I utilize the Brake Buddy with my '02 F150 Super Crew "Toad". It does a good job and has definitely made itself known in a couple of "panic" stops where someone has cut me off or stopped in front of me. Once you have put it in a couple of times, it is a breeze. Just as a note: I've have heard of complaints that it tends to shorten the life of the "toad brakes". No experience on my part. Good luck!

retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #16

Call Blue Ox I have the apollo complete system and love it.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #17
Arv

Thanks for all the input everyone. Has anyone tried the BrakePro? I will be installing it on a 95' GMC Sonoma pickup.

2006 Vectra 40FD
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the RoadMaster-Breakmaster 9000 Braking System. It works well and is easy to connect.
It requires a Compressor unit (on Gas Units)-installed in the RV and connected to the Brake line. This activates a selinoid, attached to the Toad brake pedal by a sprilg loaded clamp.
An air hose connects from the RV to the front of the Toad, along with the Brake away, lights, etc.
easy quick connection.
Check with Camping World, and you can see what is involved with each system.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Our problem lies in there is not enought room under the tow hood to have it installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious, what is the obstacle to installing the M&G? What vehicle are you towing?
I have a Jeep Cherokee, and there is only an 'inch' between the master cylinder and the air intake box. Solution: I'm going to change the air-box to a smaller one. I would think that most vehicles only have stuff that could be 'moved', if you're a little innovative. If you post your vehicle type, you might find someone who's 'been there, done that'. Good luck. Paul

Future Alpine owner
MajDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #20

You need to look at the Blue Ox braking systems for Air Brakes. I have used the brakesafe system and It was easy to set up and worked great.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 AM   #21

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I've done my research and ordered M&G. Will install this weekend.

One concern was what would happen to coach brakes if the air line broke and there was a leak. I learned this was not an issue because:

1) Air only flows when you push on the brakes.
2) I had a leaking airbag several weeks ago. It had a hole the size of a pencil. This caused no loss of pressure. The compressor was easily able to keep front and rear above 100 psi.

I feel the M&G is superior because it allows braking with exhaust brake with no application of service brakes or toad brakes. With inertia based systems, the toad device cannot distinguish between exhaust braking and service brakes. This puts a lot of unncecessary wear on toad brakes.

The Freightliner warning is put there by the lawyers. In order for it to bite you, you must have either a warranty issue or a major accident with resulting lawsuit. They would have to prove that the mod had faulty design.

Even if the worst possible catastrophy happened and you lost all air from all tanks, air brake chassis have spring actuated emergency brakes.

Add it all up and it is a no brainer.... if you have an air brake chassis.

Walt
Old 05-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #22

Like Xeroid I use the SMI Stay-in-Play system. Easy to install yourself and it stays in the car all the time. I have a full-size pickup for a toad and I put the control box under the rear seat. It is easy to install, is out of sight all the time, and uses vacuum assist to activate the toads power brakes. It needs two sources of activation (inertia and the MH brakes must be on) which reduces false braking and burned up brakes, and it has a wireless "Brakes On" indicator lamp in the MH. It also has an emergency breakaway switch.
A very nice system and works as advertised.

Happy trails,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #23

I fully endorse the M&G brake but did have a bad experience with mine when the breakaway tripped while underway. I dragged it 30 miles with its brakes set. So after a long cry and much trial and error, I came up with a device that lets you know when the toad's brakes are set. I have sold quite a few and not had one complaint.
Dave D.

I'm really sorry to tell you we can't allow the URL to be posted to your commercial website

P.S. I'm retired and not really in the business of selling these things. I'd starve if I were. I'm just trying to get my brake job paid for.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #24

Kiwi: I was concerned about the M & G because of the need to tie into the air system.
Is the air attachment a splice with hose clamps, use a crimping tool a bolt-on at the source supply line? Thank you for discussing concerns about air leaks and warranty issues etc.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #25

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
Kiwi: I was concerned about the M & G because of the need to tie into the air system.
Is the air attachment a splice with hose clamps, use a crimping tool a bolt-on at the source supply line? Thank you for discussing concerns about air leaks and warranty issues etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tie in used on the coach is a machined block with threaded holes and fittings. It is of equal or better quality to the original equipment. That is absolutely no worry.

I have my brakes now and they are superior to any other towing scheme I have ever used. I have towed horse trailers, Popup and two fifth wheels. I have used a variety of brake controllers from total manual (worse) to the Prodigy (best for an electric system).

The M&G system needs no setup and no tuning. The braking is there, but you never feel even slighly that the car brakes apply just slighly ahead of the coach brakes.

Once installed, it is so extremely simple to hook-up. I purchased the break away system. You can however choose not to hook it up (don't connect the pull cable) or choose to totally disable it (remove fuse at battery). Hooking up the main air line is one connection at the back of the motor home. No equipment to store, no adjustments to make. No proceedure (step 1, step 2 to follow).

The unit has a life of the car guarantee. It is extremely well machined and so simple.

Driving it was super... I felt like I always had more stopping power than I needed (not always true with no toad brakes). I skipped buying other toad units, but I talked to dozens of owners and got some really candid answers. Bottom line, most owners of other units said, "It works fine but...." It was the long list of buts that got me.
Hard to adjust,
Hard to store,
A pain to set up,
Takes many steps,
Runs my battery down,
Won't work well with adjustable pedals,
Brakes when only using exhaust brake,
Brakes too much,
Brakes too little,
A real hassle to put into car each time,
Takes up space,

After installing and driving a few hundred miles with the system, there are no "buts" with me.

If you have air brakes, you should have M&G at the top of your very short list.

Walt