Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
OK - I don't have a braking system for my 2001 Ford Escape. It weighs so little - driving from Northern California to Colorado, up and down hills - had no problems. Reading some of these posts I guess I do need to get one though? What is the best kind? And what's a good source for used braking systems?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

OK - I don't have a braking system for my 2001 Ford Escape. It weighs so little - driving from Northern California to Colorado, up and down hills - had no problems. Reading some of these posts I guess I do need to get one though? What is the best kind? And what's a good source for used braking systems?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
What is the best kind? And what's a good source for used braking systems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>GraciesMom, I run the SMI Stay-and-Play DUO. It installs under the hood of your car and you really never get to see it again unless you want to.

So it works when you need it to otherwise it's out of sight and out of mind.

About used braking systems - I don't believe there is a market for those. You should consider buying a new unit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">up and down hills - had no problems </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of us have never had a problem, and supplemental braking systems are like insurance, a waste of money until you need it, then it's priceless.

Hills are not the only issue, as sooner or later, someone in front of you is going to slam on their brakes, and you will want to stop in time.

I use the Brake Buddy, and it's ease of installation and use works well for me.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #5

I agree with Dirk. If you're involved in one accident, the first question the opposing lawyer will ask is "What sort of supplemental braking system do you use?"

I've had the same Brake Buddy since '99. First it helped my gas coach pulling a Honda Accord, then a Saturn SC2. In '03 the BB went to work in my present diesel coach and helps my Saturn Vue V6.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like you havent used a toad brake in the past and have had no problems, yet! I have had a few "close calls" and am now going to one. I have settled on the ready brake system mainly for its cost and ease of installation. That and the fact that I dont need to take anything in and out of the vehicle. There are some used "brake buddy" boxes that are available on ebay, but there no telling if they work or not.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
OK - I don't have a braking system for my 2001 Ford Escape. It weighs so little ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>GraciesMom, Don't confuse the weight of the car with the forces that it will impact on your motorhome. You can quickly exceed your Combined Weight Rating "GCWR" by a vehicle that is not equipped with an auxiliary brake. Exceeding this weight rating imposes a load on your vehicle brakes that it was not designed to deal with.

Physics demonstrates that M=FA where Mass = Force x Acceleration.

In this case Mass is the resultant weight of your vehicle "F" being stopped at highway speeds "A". When you try to stop your 3000 pound car from 60 MPH the force applied to the back of your motorhome is = 18,000 pounds.

The difference between getting into a wreck and not is 1".

Perhaps now you can see what is involved in stopping a towed vehicle.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
High GraciesMom,
I use the USGear towing system. Go here to see their web site.

Consider changing how you shop for a braking system. First go to several dealers and have them demonstrate the braking systems they sell. You try the tasks the sales person just demonstrated. When you find a couple of braking systems where the tasks to be done and your willingness/ability to do them are a match, come back to iRV2 and ask about those specific systems.

I see RVer's who own a breaking system but do not use it because "it is too much trouble".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #9

GraciesMom, let me tell you what happened to me that made me get a braking system. When coming out of Grand Canyon was going a little fast, it's at a slight decline for a lot of miles, when the car in front of me, towing a trailer, decided to make a left turn and hit his brakes hard. I was driving at a safe distant but not in a car, I'm in a 30,000 lb motorhome towing a 3500 lb car. I could not stop. I was standing on the brakes and it just wanted to keep going. Wife was helping me brake from her seat also LOL. By the grace of God the road had a very wide and level shoulder. At first chance we pulled over and made appt. to have an M&G braking system installed. I think
this is the best system. It installs permantly on your toad and is applied at same rate your motorhome brakes are applied. I will never tow without a braking system again. For those of you who don't have one or don't use it please think again.

Alcoa Dura Bright rims
Steve & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,
Good to hear you made it out of that situation! I have the M&G system and I agree it's great. Easy to hook up. Be sure and get the light that indicates when your toad brakes are activated. Mine was leaking some air and the toad brakes were dragging. Ended up replacing the brakes, and taking the system back to M&G to replace the valve. Now all works as it should.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a Roadmaster EvenBrake for 2 plus years. It developed a problem in Washington last month and (a long story) I had the SMI Stay-In-Play Duo system installed in Oregon. I really like the ease of use with the SMI Stay-In-Play system. Hook up the Toad lights to the MH and turn on a switch. It couldn't be any easier.

After I got home, Roadmaster replaced the EvenBrake even though it was out of warranty. I was very impressed with that.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice plate!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanx! Not a lot of UFO plate combinations left in California.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #14

Driver - WOW - I have never had it explained that way before . . . that is scary! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply!!