Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
I'll stay out of this one, execpt to say make sure you comply with the laws in your home state. Otherwise in the event of an accident problems will arise. Just me but I'll take all the brakes I can get
For equipment issues, you need to comply with the laws of the state you're driving in. There is no reciprocity for equipment requirements. Just license and registration.

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
Just wondering. - I know what the dealers say but do you really need additional breaking system for a car or jeep toad? I have been reading lots of stories of people who dont use them or have had problems with various systems and others who say they wouldnt leave home without their brake buddy. Question - If 10 rigs are going down the road, how many would have a breaking sytem on their flat tow toads?

John
Mine does. If the other nine don't, I hope they're in front of me.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I guess that I need to decide between a Brake Buddy or a Blue Ox Patriot or a Ready Brake? Any advice which is best ? The Patiort and the Brake Buddy seem very similar but the Ready Brake seems quite different. Hard to choose?
I seems that you have made the right decision, and that is to put brakes on the toad. I chose the Brakemaster and have been satisfied with the performance. There is little doubt there are others that will work as well. I want to reinforce your decision by telling you about the reasoning behind my decision to add brakes. I have been driving for over 50 years! Many of those years were as a professional driver. I have well beyond a million miles behind a wheel. Every time before I left the safety of the drive way it was only after I checked to be sure I had working brakes. Brakes may be the one thing provided to the driver for his safety that should never be ignored. If they are that important, then having the best that you can get makes good sense. Leaving the drive with out brakes on the toad means you are not providing the best!
In all the miles that I have driven I can report that the vehicles that I drove have been hit on all four sides (From behind,head on and both sides) Every time it was because the driver failed to apply the brakes properly. I had been at a complete stop every time. My years at the wheel were considered accident free. Not because I was I was not involved but because I was at a stop! Having the proper brakes is a must, yet you "must" still use them!
Good luck on your choice and remember; There are a lot of fools out there driving, don't you be one of them!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #32

As usual when ever the subject comes up of brake requirements for supplementary brakes on vehicles with all four wheels on the ground there are a lot of posts that are totally blatantly WRONG!

In all 50 states a towed motor vehicle is NOT a trailer. The rules for towed motor vehicles are different and do NOT include a requirement that they be equipped with tow brakes. There are several states that have a requirement that the combination of motorhome and toad must be able to stop from a specified speed in a specified distance. California is one of those. When was the last time you read a Forum post of someone personally being cited for not having tow brakes on their toad-Huh!

The source of most of the misleading information comes from-you guessed it-the internet. And on the internet it is businesses that sell products related to tow brakes. They try to blur the line between the rules for trailers and those for towed motor vehicles. The rules are not the same. The only place I am fairly sure that has a tow brake rule is the Province of British Columbia Canada. There they require tow brakes on a motor vehicle being towed four down IF it weights 2000KG or 4400 pounds or more. Don't let anyone try to sell you the idea that the rules for trailers and towed motor vehicles are the same.

Would I tow a motor vehicle four down without tow brakes -- HECK NO! Do I recommend others do it-not a chance! The 2-3 feet quicker you can stop with tow brakes could save a life.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went the Brake Buddy Vantage. It had good recommendations from other on the forum and it's portable. It can be easily moved from one vehicle to another. I have a bad habit with new cars every couple of years???

I'm pleased with my purchase. It works great and as my previous post states, it saved my butt once already!

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John Stott said:

Question - If 10 rigs are going down the road, how many would have a breaking sytem on their flat tow toads?

Depends on what time the train left the station and which direction the wind was blowing.

Your question reminds me of high school logic tests.

I don't have a clue what the answer would be.

I do count and keep track of 4 down versus dolly toads occasionally but working braking systems is hard to guess.

That said I use U.S. Gear always. I only need them in panic stops and when those occur, which is very rarely, I'm glad I spent the dough.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #35

Toad braking systems - What to buy or what to stay away from

I need to buy a suplimental braking system for my toad (2005 Jeep Liberty)for my 2005 34 foot gas RV. I see ads for Brake Buddy; Blue Ox Patriot: US Gear; Toad Stop and Ready Brake (this one seems different) All say that they are the best and I dont know what to get. Can anyone please give me some advice what to get and what to stay away from.

Thanks in advance.

John
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
As usual when ever the subject comes up of brake requirements for supplementary brakes on vehicles with all four wheels on the ground there are a lot of posts that are totally blatantly WRONG!

In all 50 states a towed motor vehicle is NOT a trailer. The rules for towed motor vehicles are different and do NOT include a requirement that they be equipped with tow brakes. There are several states that have a requirement that the combination of motorhome and toad must be able to stop from a specified speed in a specified distance. California is one of those. When was the last time you read a Forum post of someone personally being cited for not having tow brakes on their toad-Huh!

The source of most of the misleading information comes from-you guessed it-the internet. And on the internet it is businesses that sell products related to tow brakes. They try to blur the line between the rules for trailers and those for towed motor vehicles. The rules are not the same. The only place I am fairly sure that has a tow brake rule is the Province of British Columbia Canada. There they require tow brakes on a motor vehicle being towed four down IF it weights 2000KG or 4400 pounds or more. Don't let anyone try to sell you the idea that the rules for trailers and towed motor vehicles are the same.

Would I tow a motor vehicle four down without tow brakes -- HECK NO! Do I recommend others do it-not a chance! The 2-3 feet quicker you can stop with tow brakes could save a life.

Jim
Since I'm seeing this information posted on the Internet, I guess it's got just as much chance of being correct as everything else I read.

joe
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy John. I am no authority on supplemental braking systems and have been researching the different options for our Jeep Wrangler. I believe we are going with the "ReadyBrute" tow bar/brake combo for simplicity's sake. (And because I have not found any negative posts about those at all.)

You might check out the TOAD section of the forum for lots of good info. Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums
Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
There have been several threads on this forum related to toad breaking systems. Do a search on the forum and you will find some helpful discussions.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #39

Toad braking system

Hi.
I had to put a braking system on my Honda CRV, that I tow behind my Thor Ace. Camping World recommended Add-A-Brake, which is a pain to put in, in tight spaces, and, also has had a tendency to slide-up on the leather seat of the car, so I have to check it.
I have seen ads for InvisiBrake, and, from the fact that you just have it installed, permanently, and hook it up, when needed? I'd definitely go that route. Yes, it's a bit more pricey, but, for the convenience? I'd say it's well worth it.
mountainlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked out m&g ind. ? I installed one on my 2011 wrangler.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #41

It never occured to me that there might be state requirements for toads to have braking systems. I never even looked at any of the state laws or did any research on the subject. It just was not necessary. Given the opportunity, for some small investment, to be able to stop the combination MH/Toad in about the same distance as the MH alone, it just made no sense to not use a braking system.

I can imagine the thought that would be going through my mind as I skidded through the red light.... Geee, it sure would have been nice to have put some brakes on that big hunk of steel I am dragging behind this MH.

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParker View Post
It never occured to me that there might be state requirements for toads to have braking systems. I never even looked at any of the state laws or did any research on the subject. It just was not necessary. Given the opportunity, for some small investment, to be able to stop the combination MH/Toad in about the same distance as the MH alone, it just made no sense to not use a braking system.

I can imagine the thought that would be going through my mind as I skidded through the red light.... Geee, it sure would have been nice to have put some brakes on that big hunk of steel I am dragging behind this MH.
That's funny. For me, change your first sentence to: "It never occured to me that there might NOT be state requirements for toads to have braking systems." The rest is exactly the same.

joe

Tags
toad, brakes