Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
SMI Air Force 1 was the way to go for me, Would not tow with out it.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #114

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sometimes wonder why questions about having towed brakes even comes up? In all my years of RV'ing I've never heard someone say: "Gee I wish I didn't have such good brakes, I keep stopping too soon to avoid the vehicles in front of me."
I have heard them say: "Gee, I wish I'd have stopped sooner so I didn't rearend that truck/car/van"!
Just because you can tow without supplemental braking doesn't mean you should.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #115

Sadly the reason many tow without tow brakes is because they can.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
My first rv was a vista with a gas engine, so I decided to use SMI 's stay and play because it is self contained and vacuum assisted to power the brakes only need the std trailer 7 pin wiring from the rv. Now I have a DP but the same toad breaking system works flawlessly with the new RV needs nothing new to work with any vehicle.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #117

I have had 2 40' DPs with air brakes and I used the air activated master brake system that enabled proportional braking for the toad. In this configuration I was able to stop in a shorter distance than my RV alone would without the toad. More mass but more rubber on the road hence more breaking power.

I now drive a B+ (GVWR 12800') and tow a Smart Car that weighs about 1850 lbs. Legally no brakes required for this light toad. I tested stopping distances with no toad brakes and then with Ready Brake engaged, It exceeded all performance requirements without the Toad brakes but the stopping distance was less with the toad brakes engaged. Ready Brake is not proportional breaking but it did shorten my stopping distance and will likely increase the life of my RV brake pads had I not installed a toad brake activation system.

Now this is just me being as safe as I can, regardless of rules, and I cannot understand why anyone would one elect not to enhance safety for themselves and others by just spending a few $$.

While thinking of safety enhancements, (I hope this is a good Segue) I also use multiple rear view cameras with one trained specifically on my towbar setup and toad windshield to enable myself and my navigator check the toad status.

Rather than running a wire back to the RV dash to let me know when the Toad brakes are applied, I put bright LED lights that can be readily seen on the camera through the windshield of the toad. I have one light that only comes on when the toad brake is applied, another light tells me when the toad brake lights come when activated by my RV lights. The other lights let me know the toad tail and signal light circuits are working. These color coded and phyically separated lights can be seen even in bright sunlight. Most of us check our light connection during hookup, but unless we have some feedback system that can be seen while driving we don't know if that connection is maintained. My monitoring system is one way of checking that connection while in motion. It does not tell me if the toad bulbs are ok but I am working on that.

My white tie on the steering wheel can be seen on the camera also so I know whem the toad wheels are being turned OK.

I hope this extra info/triva based on my experience and Gizmo additions spark ideas and discussions for others but I am a 72 year old Gizmo Guy that does not have much else to do but tinker around and try things out. Love to see and hear how other RVers have addressed or even muse about such innovations.

Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #118

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Written laws vary, One state if your trailer is over say 1,000 pounds you have to have brakes on it, another it's 4,000 pounds and most of them.. Somewhere in between.

Now I said Trailer.. You are towing a car, not a trailer right? WRONG! you are towing a trailer, a 4 wheel trailer. (At least that's the law in Michigan) if it "Trails behind you" it is a trailer (Greatly simplified)

Look up defination of Trailer.

That said. the laws of physics as someone pointed out up thread are very clear.

The O/P asked If 10 rigs are towing, how many have brakes on the towed? (slightly re-worded)

I don't knwo.. but if they are one behind the other I can answer the question when the front rig makes a panic stop.

All the ones with smashed towed's Had brakes

All the ones paying for smashing those toweds, and perhaps additional fees for Reckless Endangerment,,,, Did not.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Libero, I fully agree would rather have and not need than need and not have. I looked into the box type brake in front of driver seat in toad. But some friends said they did not put them in if just going for a short trip. My simi is always ready to go.

I put the, included with brake system, row of red led toad brake indicator lights behind the front grill of my jeep where my camera can see day or night. But now will tie a white sheet to the wheel. Thanks for that idea.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #120

Libero,

Ready Brake IS proportional.

Jim
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #121

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate the dialogue.

As I understand the physics of this, Ready brake activation is based on the degree of momentem retard by the tow vehicle (G force applied). The retard can be caused by engine brakes or downshifting and is not necessarily related to the application of the brake on the RV. So in relation to applied G force, Ready Brake is proportional but not necessarily directly proportional to the application of RV Brakes.

When I refer to proportional, I interpret this as directly proportional to application of the RV brake as Air Brake extended systems employ and I welcome comments on this.

There is also a latency in any G force activated system, so there is a time lag after the application of the RV brake before the G force applies the toad brake. I notice this all the time by watching my light sequence, (I can see the RV brake light activated light and also see Ready Brake activation through my monitor system noted in my previous post) furthermore I notice the Ready brake is still applied for a short duration after I release my RV brake and sometimes I need to take corrective action if the Toad activated brake light remains on for more time than expected.

Please don't interpret this to me not being happy with the Ready Brake, it works great and is the most simple to connect but I guess we have a different interpretation of "proportional"

Good discussion point.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #122

Libero,

How often do you remove your Ready Brake from the receiver and lubricate it. I do mine every Spring with chassis grease.

Jim
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #123

Thanks Jim

Only used ready brake for 18 mo and have lubricated twice. Driven about 12K mi in clean enviroment with it. Never had a problem and I like how easy it is to connect and disconnect.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #124

Ive had mine for 8 years and love it. How often is it you find the product that works the best is also the least expensive and easiest to use?

Jim

Tags
toad, brakes