Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Toad Brakes or no brakes?

Just wondering. - I know what the dealers say but do you really need additional breaking system for a car or jeep toad? I have been reading lots of stories of people who dont use them or have had problems with various systems and others who say they wouldnt leave home without their brake buddy. Question - If 10 rigs are going down the road, how many would have a breaking sytem on their flat tow toads?

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott
Just wondering. - I know what the dealers say but do you really need additional breaking system for a car or jeep toad? I have been reading lots of stories of people who dont use them or have had problems with various systems and others who say they wouldnt leave home without their brake buddy. Question - If 10 rigs are going down the road, how many would have a breaking sytem on their flat tow toads?

John
I think a high majority of toads have them as a large ( if not all ) majority of States have laws requiring them depending on weight.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BTW its brake:

Only use them if you want to be safe making panic stops on the road.

If safety don't matter to you, then don't.

There is a lot of systems out there, some better than others. Different drivers prefer certain ones. I'm sure someone has had problems with each one. I had EvenBrake and had problems, now use ReadyBrake, no problems yet.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

People will advise you based on whether or not they have them already or not - trying to justify their decision. Also based on weight of your toad and capacity of your RV. Ask an RV service center about how many they sell. I was told by one they don't even stock them anymore since they don't sell them. Of course if your state law requires them, it is probably best to have them.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #5

When someone pulls out or decides to stop in front of you while crusing through town at 45 MPH you will want all the brakes you can get.
Everyone I know has a brake system in their toad.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most states actually don't require brakes on a toad even if they require them on trailers. If your coach combined gross vehicle weight is within range with the weight of the toad, you will be OK in most states, that said however, the real issue comes if you have an accident and the lawyers become involved with accident fault and liability. Personally, I think toad brakes are cheap insurance. Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess if you feel confident without them, then that's going to be your decision. How many out of 10? Never walked around and checked or asked. Maybe I should take a walk thru the park and find out. I'll bet one thing the majority that might not have the auxilary braking will be the DP's. If you have a gas coach I would strongly suggest you have it.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have towed without them but now with my new toad i installed a smi braking system and now after seeing and feeling the difference i would not ever tow without a braking system again sure feels good to know i have the extra braking helping to stop
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kind of a no-brainer I think. It would be difficult to explain to a court why you killed some one if an accident could have been prevented by having a brake system on your Toad. I would not want to be in a situation like that.
Mine has saved me several times even tho I allow more than enough space between me and the guy in front
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Most states do not require the toad to have additional brakes, but 19 states REQUIRE them. I wouldn't won't to travel trying to avoid the states that do. Also, would not want to be in a accident and be blamed for not stopping soon enough regardless of laws!

See http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm look at the column "Brake Laws Towed Cars"

And... http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can buy a ReadyBrake system for $410 or less

ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products

Installation and hook-up is quick and easy. It could be lifesaving or prevent a costly ticket. For another $100 add the breakaway cable. A friend's parents were killed by a boat that broke away from the tow vechile, crossed the median and smashed into them head on at hiway speeds.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here it is for $354.95 shipped

ReadyBrake Towed Vehicle Supplemental Brake System INCLUDING SHIPPING
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Most states actually don't require brakes on a toad even if they require them on trailers.....
Actually, the point of contention with the brake/no-brake choice is that states typically do NOT make a distinction (clear, ambiguous, or otherwise) between "trailer" and "toad." Hence, folks allow their personal RV religion to make the choice by answering for themselves the question is a "toad" a "trailer"?

Aside from all the death postings for not having toad brakes, a point often overlooked is that toads are simply NOT designed to be braked from the bumper/frame-horn/crumple-zone mounting of the base plates. Hence, in the UN-likely scenario where you panic stop the RV, the resulting panic stop of the toad via these "not-designed-for-panic-stopping" base plate mounting locations CAN result in damage to the toad frame.

There are thousand of stories that "my toad survived" and my moho can stop plenty more than itself and a lowly toad out back. Fact is, a toad braking system 1) WILL REDUCE the overall stopping distance/time, 2) WILL REDUCE braking induced toad damage, and 3) WILL REDUCE toad ejection damage (if the hitch fails).

Call it like YOU see it... It's YOUR religion...

My religion is to do the right thing (for me AND those on the road near me) and use a toad brake system.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

There are many sides to this. If you have a Motor Home chassis that weighs on the High side might it not be argued that you should increase the Braking Performance that you already have? Perhaps go to a Brembo system, Ventilated oversize rotors anti-lock if you don't have them? You could go on and on. If your Gross weight is OK with a 5000lbs Toad what is the difference if you have 5000lbs of Stuff in the Motor Home and still be under the GCWR?
My Dynasty with a 43,000lbs GCWR and with a GVWR of 33,000lbs that we had weighed at a Iowa State Highway scale with all tanks full and our belongings it weighed under 33k. If we were to add a 5000lbs vehicle we would still be 5000lbs below the GCWR. We plan to Tow with a braking system. It just gets me a little annoyed that people get so up in arms if someone says they are Towing without a supplemental braking system and people jump all over them. If it were a Law fine but if not??
I believe if the Lawyer on the other side were to state that the Motor Home was well within the correct load capacity lack of a supplemental braking system would not be a valid argument as long as it were below the posted GCWR. Of course this is if the Tow Bar, Hitch, Mounting Brackets were all installed correctly and used properly and if the MH was in good operating condition.
Robert

Tags
toad, brakes