Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Toad braking

Which is a better braking system stay in play duo or unified tow brake

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

I have heard good thing of the UTB, but fwiw, I would go with SMI.

No electronic boards to fail with SMI.
The UTB looks twice as hard to install as the stay in play.
The customer service at SMI is as good as it gets, imo

I bet you'll be satisfied either way

Happy trails

Old 04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #3

No electronics in the SMI? Isn't there something in the intertial sensor that goes by the drivers feet?

That said I just put a stay-in-play in our 2004 Element toad and it's a slick install, took about 4 hours, but I paid a lot of attention to clean routing and hiding things trying to make it as clean as possible, I also routed the braking LED to the coach dashboard and added a 12v charge line from the coach to the toad.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

Does anybody prefer airforce one to stay in play duo for a coach with air brakes. I already have stay in play on my Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

Well, thats true. The inertia switch is electronic.
It is pretty solid IMHO.

The problem with a Duo on a DP is that if you use the exhaust brake to control speed down a steep decline, the brakes may activate. Going down that decline will allow the inertia switch to be activated when normally set and the exhaust brakes MAY apply the brake lights. that is both signals needed to activate the system.
When you have a Duo on a DP, It is important to know if your exhaust brake illuminates your brake lights. If it does, you'll need to raise the setting on the inertia switch to compensate while going down a steep hill
Old 04-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdamon View Post
Does anybody prefer airforce one to stay in play duo for a coach with air brakes. I already have stay in play on my Toad
I use a Brake Buddy as I have two toads and it is easy to use it on both. If I were to go to a single toad I'd definitely go with the SMI Air Force One. It would run on my air brakes, and hook up is a snap.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdamon View Post
My toad was originally set up with the stay in play from previous coach. Went to a DP with air brakes and still use the Duo. No problem!

If I were installing new and I had air brakes, I'd probably opt for the AF1 because it is a better system for air braked coaches, although the Duo works perfectly well.

2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad