Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #15

We chose the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 for our Winnebago Adventurer and Jeep Wrangler. The main reasons were the ease of installation in the jeep, and the small space it takes up when being stored.

It's about the same price as most other systems and the initial installation can be done in a day. The nice things about it are that unlike a surge system the brakes are on the towed vehicle are activated when stopped on an incline, they are only activated when the operator steps on the brake pedal in the tow vehicle, and they continue to hold until the operator takes their foot off the tow vehicle brake pedal. There is no brake activation in the towed vehicle when the transmission in the tow vehicle shifts down on long down hill grades.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I were buying new, it would be a draw between the Air Force 1 and the M-G Engineering. If I could not get either of those, my next choice would be Invisibrake.
I discounted the Readybrake for 2 reason, it is limited in weight, less than my tow bar and I want the braking system to equal or exceed the tow bar, and you need to run 2 cables to the inside, 1 for the Readybrake itself, and a second for the Breakaway cable. I have noticed for some reason most of the Readybrakes I have seen do not have a breakaway installed on them, not sure why.
Until I decide what TOAD we are going to buy in 2 years, we opted for a new to us EvenBrake we were able to find for about 1/3 what a new one costs. While there is some extra work taking it in and out, we can use it until we replace the TOAD and sell it to the next person looking for one.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
AHH COOL, I'm right near athens, and I think I'm gonna drive up there and have that M&G installed.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We chose the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 for our Winnebago Adventurer and Jeep Wrangler. The main reasons were the ease of installation in the jeep, and the small space it takes up when being stored.

It's about the same price as most other systems and the initial installation can be done in a day. The nice things about it are that unlike a surge system the brakes are on the towed vehicle are activated when stopped on an incline, they are only activated when the operator steps on the brake pedal in the tow vehicle, and they continue to hold until the operator takes their foot off the tow vehicle brake pedal. There is no brake activation in the towed vehicle when the transmission in the tow vehicle shifts down on long down hill grades.
With all due respect, most everything you've said here is false in comparison to the READYBRAKE surge system and am most positive that you didn't own and operate with the READYBRAKE before switching to what you have now.
Prices aren't the same and a lot more, for other systems and it certainly doesn't take a whole day for installation. There's nothing to take in and out for storage with READYBRAKE. This nice thing, you mention for going down hill will and as opposed, sometimes will activate the READYBRAKE, if it indeed catches up with the coach and as far as you know, may be trying to, with your system. Thing is and if and when it does happen, it's only for a short, cuz the toad slows down quickly and releases it's brakes, so not much different than any other car going down a steep mountain, with tapping it's brakes and yes it must be pretty steep for this to even happen, along with the coach being in low gear. In fact I had the opportunity to observe and experience this when descending the east slope of Donner's Pass, this past summer and welcomed the help that our toad gave us.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Air Force One. Fast setup when ready to travel....

Joe
US Air Force (Ret)
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of excellent systems out there I spose but I have the M&G system and love the breaking affect and the ease of hookup. I really like a system that's proportional and has no electronics to go south, been there. Hooks up in 5 seconds or less and is pretty much foolproof. JMHO.
BigSkyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
With all due respect, most everything you've said here is false in comparison to the READYBRAKE surge system and am most positive that you didn't own and operate with the READYBRAKE before switching to what you have now.
Prices aren't the same and a lot more, for other systems and it certainly doesn't take a whole day for installation. There's nothing to take in and out for storage with READYBRAKE. This nice thing, you mention for going down hill will and as opposed, sometimes will activate the READYBRAKE, if it indeed catches up with the coach and as far as you know, may be trying to, with your system. Thing is and if and when it does happen, it's only for a short, cuz the toad slows down quickly and releases it's brakes, so not much different than any other car going down a steep mountain, with tapping it's brakes and yes it must be pretty steep for this to even happen, along with the coach being in low gear. In fact I had the opportunity to observe and experience this when descending the east slope of Donner's Pass, this past summer and welcomed the help that our toad gave us.
The OP was not asking for a comparison of ReadyBrake to all other braking systems. They were asking the reliability and cost of braking systems in general. While the ReadyBrake system may be less expensive than some, the Roadmaster system I described is certainly competitively priced with many other systems on the market.

As for surge brakes in general, I know all to well how they work. I've had several trailers with them over the years. They weren't the optimum systems for the situations I needed to use them. If you like them, and they fit the bill for you that's great. ReadyBrake is just 1 of many systems to consider. It is not the end all or be all for everyone.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The OP was not asking for a comparison of ReadyBrake to all other braking systems. They were asking the reliability and cost of braking systems in general. While the ReadyBrake system may be less expensive than some, the Roadmaster system I described is certainly competitively priced with many other systems on the market.

As for surge brakes in general, I know all to well how they work. I've had several trailers with them over the years. They weren't the optimum systems for the situations I needed to use them. If you like them, and they fit the bill for you that's great. ReadyBrake is just 1 of many systems to consider. It is not the end all or be all for everyone.
OK, but will have to say further that if you're comparing a boat trailer or like, being pulled behind a car or PU truck for having experience with surge brake systems, then I must tell you that there is no comparison and just so the OP doesn't get mislead into thinking that they are.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #23

I use an M&G, had it on an 06 Wrangler, and now on a 2012 Wrangler. Never had a any issues once it is installed, the unit only has one moving part. Just plug it in and go works great.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just had my m&g installed the other day. Easy system to operate
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #25

I have the Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with the integral Blue Ox AutoStop surge braking system and a Blue Ox breakaway system. Works well and was relatively inexpensive.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #26

Because our toaddy have an hydermatic transmission, we let the engine of the towed car idle as we are towing it.

My Dear Wife rides in the car and when she sees the RV break lights came on, she applies the breakes of the car.

She really doesn't complane much unless we travel much over 5-6 hours.

We started doing this on April 1 and this breaking system has worked for us for yeers. The kids dont ride with her any more.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Because our toaddy have an hydermatic transmission, we let the engine of the towed car idle as we are towing it.

My Dear Wife rides in the car and when she sees the RV break lights came on, she applies the breakes of the car.

We started doing this on April 1 and this breaking system has worked for us for yeers. The kids dont ride with her any more.
LOL
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post

Isn't that going to cause a shorter life. Not the toad's,,yours!

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad