Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Isn't that going to cause a shorter life. Not the toad's,,yours!
No. It is simpler than that. You would be called the first (or previous) husband.

To the OP, you will get a ton of opinions, but must make your own decision. Seeing the products and looking at online reviews may help. Did for me.

I have the best set up, but it is not relevant here.

Happy shopping!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Once I narrowed the playing field down to M&G or Air Force One, looking at the installation of both made it clear that M&G is the quickest & easiest installation. That being said, it does depend on the vehicle. I did my own installation but did get quotes and was shocked by the labor rates charged by the Mesa, AZ shop. I figure I paid myself about $200 per hour.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #31

I have had three different braking systems on various toads. M&G, BreakMaster and a readybrake.

Best of the 3 IMHO was the M&G. Had that on a Jeep. Was going to put one on my Malibu but I had difficulty fitting it in front of the master cylindar so I put the Brakemaster in. Still have that system & that toad, but then bought a second toad, a Smart Car, and while legally in most places a brake is not required for such a light vehicle, I bought a ReadyBrake just for additional safety and when shifting down I do not mind a little help stopping. The ReadyBrake works fine and is a simple installation, albeit it does extend the length of the towbar so if there are any hitch clearance issues the longer tow bar will exacerbate the situation. (no problem for me)

I once borrowed a brake in a box system but it was a PITA for me to install each time I wanted to hookup and unhook and it took up storage space when not in use but it did work.

Hope my comments help in brake selection.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
RViBrake2 - enough said!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
RViBrake2 - enough said!
I hope they have worked out the bugs from the early RViBrake models.

To answer the OP's questions. There is no right answer. The features of the various brake models vary with the price and vice versa. I used a Brake Buddy for over 7 years on two different motorhomes and 3 different toads. It was simple and easy. I now have a SMI Stay N Play. I love the ease of the current one - all I do is plug in the wire and flip a switch and I am ready to go. Either type will help stop the toad however. It is personal preference what type of brake you get. Just remember that there are different options for motorhomes that are diesel vs gas powered.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I hope they have worked out the bugs from the early RViBrake models..
I'm not at all clear what "bugs" you're referring to. They had some delivery delays when the company first started production.

I've been running an RVi system for almost two years without incident. It works well. Its lightweight, easy and quick to set up (about 30-40 seconds), and easy to store.

I would recommend it, and I would buy another, should the need arise.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad