Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Toad Braking system failure

We all know that its highly recommended that if you tow 4 wheels down that you need a braking system for the Toad. There are a lot of different brands and setups available from Brake Buddy, InvisiBarke to Air force One by SMI and others. They all seem to work and do the job. But what about when they fail and for some reason they apply the brakes on the toad while you are driving 65 MPH down the highway and you don't know about it. I am not talking about "break way". I am talking about pulling your Toad at 65 MPH with their brakes locked. Even if you you have a warning system that the brakes have been applied by the time you get to the side of the road and stop your Toad tires are in flames and who knows what other damage. I have read a few threads about this but was wondering is this a real problem with the better know breaking systems?

Thanks

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Hmmmmmm,,, Food for thought.

With my Patriot, first off, I would get an immediate beep from the Dash Monitor telling me there is a failure. Second, my Co-Pilot would certainly see smoke rising from the toad through the Camera and bring that to my Immediate Attention for sure.

Then, I would make my way off to the side of the road and get the brake disconnected and drag the toad to the nearest safe spot.

Then, hope we have cell phone coverage to call Good Sam Roadside Assistance and my Insurance Company, go to the fridge, get a beer and wait for the Cavalry to arrive.

This would still beat having No Brake and seeing the Toad taking off on its own to a place I cannot control. Such as On Coming Traffic.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Hmmmmmm,,, Food for thought.

With my Patriot, first off, I would get an immediate beep from the Dash Monitor telling me there is a failure. Second, my Co-Pilot would certainly see smoke rising from the toad through the Camera and bring that to my Immediate Attention for sure.

Then, I would make my way off to the side of the road and get the brake disconnected and drag the toad to the nearest safe spot.

Then, hope we have cell phone coverage to call Good Sam Roadside Assistance and my Insurance Company, go to the fridge, get a beer and wait for the Cavalry to arrive.

This would still beat having No Brake and seeing the Toad taking off on its own to a place I cannot control. Such as On Coming Traffic.
Yes as you see if there is a failure that locks the Toad brakes while still connected even with instant notice there is no way to get off of the road and stop before serious damage is done. What if your breakaway cable gets hung up during a turn and pulls the pin, same thing. When they installed my Air Force one with the indicator light to the dash I can tell when I apply the brakes. The light comes on. They told if it comes on and stays on then probably the break away cable got tangled and pulled the plug and to pull off of the road ASAP. I said that's good advise, but the damage has been done. They assured me that was the only way the Air Force one would ever apply the brakes other than me applying brakes in the coach. Lets hope I never see the red light stay on.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure about a breakaway situation, but with a normal service situation, the InvisiBrake only brakes for 15 seconds, then it quits. With no additional brake signal, such as letting off your motorhome brake pedal and reapplying, it just won't brake again.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

you can what if any mechanical device. Is there a point here. Tires blow out , parachutes dont open, planes crash, gun safety's fail, people rob people, politicians lie and steal ; oops that one slipped out.
The point is you can worry yourself sick or let the insurance co worry about it which is what you pay them for.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Good gosh.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The exact thing happened to us on our way home last year. There was no indication of any kind from our handheld unit in the coach that something was going on with the brake system. Had it not been for the torrential rain we were driving thru we would not have our toad today. $1100 later and we had a complete new brake system on the car. I first noticed the problem when we stopped for gas and was checking the toad over. Noticed the driver side front hubcap looked to be coming off. Gave it a bump with my hand only to discover NO it's not coming off it's melting. Sure eough looked in the car and the brake pedal was pegged to the floor. Well needless to say I disconnected the brake system and we continued the 1000 miles we still had to go without any incident. Contacted the brake system company but to no avail. Enough said.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok to run down some of the systems

What if they fail.> I had the US-Gear on my last towed, The install was done improperly cost me a brake job rotors included (OUCH). not too happy about that.. But it was not US-Gear's fault, it was the installer's.

Next one I will install.. Other failure mode is no operation.

Brake system in a box,, As I call 'em, Patroit, Even brake, Brake buddy,, SOME OF THESE (not all) are noted for false application, yet another reason to not like them.. but not my primary one.

M&G, basically can not fail in either of these manners, nor can any other system which uses Motor Home air to operate it.

Other systems I have not had expirence with.. I plan on a surge brake system with current towed.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Brake Buddy. 13 years. 2 toads. Over 70K miles.
I dont dwell on the nearly impossible odds. I just love the darn thing.

Almost all failures are because guys dont read the dang directions.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Now on my third toad with M&G. Perfect system with zero problems.

Tags
toad