Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Toad Braking Systems

I have a patriot Break system and it has not worked well at all. In spite of the fact that I move my seat as close as it allows, when my motorhome comes to a short stop, the patriot moves. The final straw was when it locke my toad break and burned out my brake pads. I am looking for a toad break system that utilizes the toad break itself. I would appreciate all recommendations or warnings of systems not to look at.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Take a look at the SMI Air Force One. It has worked great for us and the only connection is an air hose.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I wouldn't want a "breaking" system. If it's broken you have to fix them.
We use a RaodMaster braking system on our Honda Odyssey if I tow it four down, otherwise it's on a dolly with surge brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

I've been a strong supporter of the Patriot system because it worked what I thought was perfectly for the first few trips (new 2-2011) but the last two trips it will not reset - appears to set up properly but as soon as I touch the brake to start out, it errors with "braking timeout" and absolutely will not reset .. Agree getting the "positioning" of the unit was lousy in our Jeep but I ended up using a storage crate that fit well and secured it somewhat stable position... thought it was good solution but now this electronics issue....
Taking it back to dealers to have it checked out / repaired / replaced....I won't crow about it unless it comes back and works perfectly for the next several months / trips.....
Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
M&G is working for me. I have a issues with the "brake in a box" along with the fact you have to find someplace to store it when not in use...kinda like I had to store my tow dolly. I still wish I had it back sometimes.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We just replaced our Even Brake system with Air Force One. Ohhhh what a difference. We tow a Jeep Wrangler and the Even Brake was so difficult to put in and get set up and then take out and store. Air Force One we plug in one air cable to the coach, plug the light switch to the mirror of the toad, connect the break away and we are done! We chose AF One over M&G because we can remove it if we replace the toad (a 2005) with no problem. After 6 years of fighting the Even Brake, we are now free people!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #7

I use Air Force one and love it! Installed it ourselves, had a question, called them on a sunday and the called us right back, emailed them some pictures, question resolved!! Excellent customer service! I travel solo alot, easy hookup!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use SMI's plug n play. flip the switch on, connect the breakaway cable. done.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our Roadmaster Brakemaster system in 2004 and it has worked great ever since. It uses a 1/4" airline from the DP to drive a piston on on the toad's brake pedal. There is no chance that the toad brake will shift or activate by itself.

I put the toad part of the system on a '94 Saturn sedan and later moved it to our current '05 Vue. It was a fairly easy installation and doing it myself helped me understand exactly how it works.

I like a brake system that brakes the toad on when I step on the MH brake pedal and then only has hard as I push down on that pedal. It has a breakaway feature (that I periodically test). I check the connection to the MH brake system periodically but never have had a problem.

Other than the extra wiring off the toad battery for the emergency canister and the seat bracket where the the back end of the piston gets mounted, there is no modification to the toad with the Brakemaster system.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used the Ready Brute tow bar/braking system for 5 years and 50,000 miles. It's bullet proof, goof proof, and costs less than all the rest of them. Here is the link. Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
I use Air Force one and love it! Installed it ourselves, had a question, called them on a sunday and the called us right back, emailed them some pictures, question resolved!! Excellent customer service! I travel solo alot, easy hookup!!!!
I too, have a Jeep GC whaere did you mount the box and tank? BP
Rockitfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitfj40
I too, have a Jeep GC whaere did you mount the box and tank? BP
We mounted the box between the grill and radiator. We have had it for two years with no problems. I am on the road right now, but I will try to take some pics of both box and tank. We too had ?? About tank placement and that is what we took pictures under the coach and sent to SMI and they helped us determine the placement. Super customer service!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

U.S. Gear's Unified Tow Brake a.k.a. "D-Celerator"
Been using that system since 2005. I have had them professionally installed/moved from vehicle to vehicle, but I am sure "handy" folks could install it themselves.
Once installed it's a no brainer to connect and use, excellent performance and reliability.

Here's a link:

http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready Brake
US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator
Roadmaster Invisible Brake
If your tow vehicle has air brakes then:
Air force one and
if it will fit your towed M&G

Now personally.. I like the US gear best but you can't beat Ready Brake for KISS. (keep it super simple)

The systems such as you have which claim "No installation required" I do not like, For one thing they lie, you do have to install them EVERY TIME YOU TOW. which is a lot of installations and un-installations. And it's easy to just say "to heck with it" for a short trip.. The ones I listed above,, Well one of them you do absolutly NOTHING to hook it up and unhook it.. The rest are very easy and fast.

Tags
toad