Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the best? The US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator is proportional, (you can adjust how hard it brakes relative to the tow vehicle) it is progressive (the harder you brake the two vehicle, the harder it brakes) with one foot note, and it has full manual control from the cockpit as well.. Only system that meets all those requirements that I know of. Only one problem.. IF, for some reasons the brakes on the motor home are not effective (IE: wet leaves on road or light rain lifting oils off the road) the towed brakes will NOT engage since it reads the acceleraton (negative in this case) of the towing vehicle. (unless you hit the manual lever)

There is a new system, Invisi-or Invisible brake. save for the manual remote control this system has most of the advantages of the above.

Both of these systems are electric/hydraulic (that is the eat battery power) and both have a way of getting battery power FROM the motor home to the towed to keep towed battery charged. 2,000 miles with the parking lights on on the towed and it started right up (I had a wireing fault on the motor home)

M&G.. This has the advantage of the brake pedal in the motor home actually operates the brakes on the towed. Directly.. No inertial sensor used at all, so in the wet road case I cited above..... Towed brakes still come on.

Will not fit all towed, likes it if the motor home uses air brakes but NOT a requirement. hard to "Adjust" the ratio of towed to motor home braking however.

all of these systems are "invisible" to the driver of the towed, "hook up" involves

Hooking up or plugging in the break-away cable. Plus

US-Gear: one 2- wire connector
M&G An air line
Invisible brake: The tow light harness (And turning on parking lights on motor home)

Air force one: See M&G save will fit all, plus you have to hook up the pedal pusher every time you tow and bleed off towed car booster vacuum.

Most other systems, are sensitive only to slowing of the consist (Vehicles hooked together) if you slow down (or go down a steep enough grade) they apply the brakes on the towed. I can see "issues" with this kind of system.

In addition the "Box" systems like Brake Buddy, Even Brake, and so on need to be INSTALLED every time you tow and removed every time you drive.. Two concerns here.

1: The US gear system I had was not properly installed and cost me a brake job.

2: "Oh, it's only a few miles.. That )@#* Thing is just too much trouble for such a short tri.... CRASH, Dang I wish I'd installed it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
US Gear Unified Braking System!!!!

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Very happy M&G brake system user. But ... the one you have is the best, obviously.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #18

very happy Ready Break on my 34 Daybreak Wrangler combo...
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #19

I have the SMI airforce one and find it works as described "IF". The if applies to all of the brake systems. If they are installed properly. For that reason I avoided doing the job myself and had a professional? do it. I am fortunate that I had a testing period before I took it out on a long trip. Talk about a small world, I bumped into 2 other folks who bought their rig and brake system from the same place I did and they all had the same problems. The problems were fixed eventually but if the company does not train their so called professionals in the field to do the job right the first time you could have a problem with any brand. JMO. The Air force one works fine now.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky

About how much was the install cost on the InvisaBrake? Could a reasonably competent DIYer do their own install? Will it work on any moho and toad? I'm trying to compare total costs and features on this and the ReadyBrake.

Thanks!
I paid around $300 at Camping World in Winchester, VA. It took the tech about 3-4 hours to complete the install; granted I was the first install they had done. I am happy with it as now it is just plug it in and roll... No adjustments...
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4

I paid around $300 at Camping World in Winchester, VA. It took the tech about 3-4 hours to complete the install; granted I was the first install they had done. I am happy with it as now it is just plug it in and roll... No adjustments...
I have one that is different than all the others. It's called a Toad Stop, and it is truly proportional breaking, w/electric vacuum pump mounted under toad hood with a cable that hooks to the toad brakes, and actuated by its own sensors if the toad us "pushing" or if brakes are applied. I really like this as all I do is plug in the electric cable. I check it's operation occasionally with a trigger grip that's installed under drivers seat.

This thing is the best.......www.toadstop.com.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Air force one: See M&G save will fit all, plus you have to hook up the pedal pusher every time you tow and bleed off towed car booster vacuum.
No, and no. I think this is the second time you've posted this erroneous information in the last week or two. You don't need to hook up a petal pusher each time (it's actually a puller piston that's permanently installed). And you don't need to bleed off the vacuum. The AFO maintains the system vacuum and uses the vehicle power brakes.

joe
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #23

[QUOTE=Hipshot;963593]"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for
dinner. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Benjamin Franklin-/QUOTE]

Love your Ben Franklin quote. :>) Never heard that one before. Think I'm going to borrow that for my e-mail signature.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready Brake here. Simple, easy to install and a great value. Been using it with the 07 Wrangler for 3 years, no issues
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to update: I got a quote from a local Hitch & Tow to install the Invisbrake. Just for this part it's: $899 plus $340 for labor. I'm not interested in doing it myself, but I haven't had them install it yet. I'm less than a month away now.

Jack
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had great results with the rvibrake.com It's only ten pounds and easy to setup. Simple instal of breakaway cable and away ya go! Some minor issues with lost wireless signal for the in cab monitor. Otherwise it works very nice with the proportional braking of the toad.
2003 Damon DAYBREAK Model# 3275 // 2002 P32 Workhorse Custom Chassis, 8.1L Vortec 8100,180 Thermostat, .045 SP Gap, SuperSteer Rear Track Bar, Roadmaster Front Spreader Bar, SuperSteer Bell Cranks, Koni FSD ,,,
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the US Gear Unified Braking System for 3 years and it has worked perfectly.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the ReadyBrake myself and works fine for the little Honda Fit.

Tags
toad