Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #15

I have been using the Ready/Brake on two different toads and 4 MH's and it still works great. Currently with a Jeep Liberty. Has never seized up. I have a new Jeep Wrangler and I am also looking for something different and simple. Ready/Brake is a little harder to install and the Wrangler seems tight under the hood.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
No one has mentioned the RVi Brake. Been using this for 2 years and very happy. There is no installation required, plug into the cig lighter, drop it in place and press the button to set up. Easy-peasy and works very well. Great people to work with too.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm towing a Hummer H3 which is about 4800 lbs. with a Readybrute Elite on the back of a 2003 Discovery. The issue I have is that the hummer's brakes don't bleed off the vacuum even when the car is off. The mechanical braking of the Readybrake is a little tricky when making sudden stops. The other issue is making sure with the hitch, drop hitch, and receiver that there is a lot of slop... Which makes braking even more difficult. To solve that issue, I purchased 2 hitch tighteners. As mentioned in an earlier post, you should keep the cable as free from rust or dirt as possible.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
I vote for the Blue Ox Aventa and SMI Stay in Play Duo. You are new to
this forum and perhaps to the reality of towing. There will be a day,
I guarantee you, that something unforeseen will occur, and you will need
every foot of braking distance to save lives (yours) or prevent a terrible
accident, at that moment you will be filled with regret or worse.
Here is a link to the best explanation I've ever seen on the issue

Supplemental Braking: The Moment Of Truth

You are towing too heavy a vehicle for you MH, and you've been lucky
so far, but don't ignore the advice in other posts or this one.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
By the way almost all states require a "breakaway brake system" for
the weight you are towing. This is to stop the towed vehicle if it
breaks away from the tow vehicle. The only practical way to comply
is with an auxiliary breaking system on the toad.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
By the way almost all states require a "breakaway brake system" for
the weight you are towing. This is to stop the towed vehicle if it
breaks away from the tow vehicle. The only practical way to comply
is with an auxiliary breaking system on the toad.
A breakaway system and auxiliary brake system are two different braking systems that operate under very different circumstances. The auxiliary brake system operates the toad brakes when in tow under normal slowing and stopping conditions. The breakaway system is an emergency brake that engages the toad's brakes only when the connection between the mh and toad are broken. In this case, the toad's brake pedal will be completely depressed and will not be released until manually released. It seems that people are using the terms interchangeably when they should not be. I know an auxiliary brake system is required for toads over 1500 lbs. I'm not sure if a breakaway system is legally required as well. I'm also not sure if safety chains or cables can be considered a breakaway system, since they will keep the toad with the mh. The breakaway (vs. the safety cable) is certainly the safer and better way to go...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I have been using the Ready/Brake on two different toads and 4 MH's and it still works great. Currently with a Jeep Liberty. Has never seized up. I have a new Jeep Wrangler and I am also looking for something different and simple. Ready/Brake is a little harder to install and the Wrangler seems tight under the hood.
My vote, hands down, is the Ready Brake for any toad and in combo with the tow bars or added separately to ones existing setup. This goes for the OP as well.
Don't see how you could install anything simpler, more dependable or cost effective and especially on a wrangler and had no problem installing it on mine, including the Ready Stop for break away. This coupled with a COOLTECH wiring harness, makes for an unbeatable combination in the Wrangler IMO.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Blue Ox Patriot Brake Assist Device/Brake Away Cable, Blue Ox Base Plate, , Blue Ox Electrical brake wiring harness, Blue Ox Acclaim Tow Bar and Carco Safety Cables for my Saturn Vue. What is interesting is that a brake assist manufacturer states that you need a brake away cable in almost every state while AAA says that you don't. I do not believe that the state of VA requires one but I do have one:

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
I recommend that you get your truck and coach weighed.
excellent suggestion.

we use a roadmaster falcon all-terrain towbar and invisibrake. we chose that one based on user feedback -- i particularly like that the invisibrake is pretty much hands-off once it is installed -- but price was a primary consideration, too. We just got a great deal on the package.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #24

Talking Stay and play

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IMO, the best two brake systems are the US Gear "unified tow brake", which is all electric and therefore ideal for coaches without chassis air, and the M & G system, which requires an air supply. I believe the M & G system is less "complicated", but you have to add a small air compressor and reserve tank to a gasser. There are also excellent products made by SMI called "Air Force one" and "stay & play" or something like that......
I'm sure you can find lots of info and the manufacturer's website with a simple Google search.
I'm installing a stay and play brake system in my toad. I like the idea of stopping toad with its power brakes.

inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad