Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad braking systems that don't come on when the tail lights come on.

I am looking at a brake system for my toad. I have read a lot about systems that use inertia for a trigger or systems that use brake lights for a trigger. However, I don't want my brakes to be on when my Jake brake is activated. I assume the Jake brake on my coach activates the inertia trigger and I know that the Jake brake activates the brake lights. But the Jake brake is an assist and not the main brake system.

I don't want to have the brakes on the toad to come on under these circumstances.

It seems like a complete waste money and brake pads on the toad to have the brakes applied when the Jake brake is on.

I would like to have a system that only applies the brakes when I push the pedal. Roadmaster has a system and I would like to know if there are any others. Any advice?

And yes, I know a Jake brake is not necessarily the technical term for the brakes on the MH.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

Have you looked at the SMI Air Force One? I don't believe it is based off either of those...I believe it works off the coaches air system for "truly" proportional braking....
Old 03-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Yep, AF1. I had it on a 2008 Bus and on the current 2013 Bus. An outstanding system. We've got 140,000 miles on the system. I just move it from Bus to Bus.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #4

Or,
Since the OP does have a diesel, another great option is the M & G braking system. That system leave or utilizes NOTHING INSIDE the cab of the toad. The actuator for it is in between the master cylinder and the power brake unit. Therefore, no activation of the toads brakes when the Jake is activated. And, that also means no activation of the toads BRAKE LIGHTS TOO. That really comes in handy if the toad's tail lights are used as tow lights.
It's really nice to have nothing on the inside of the toad.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another option is the RVI3 braking system. It uses inertia for proportional braking and does not activate with the brake light. You control the sensitivity and the amount of braking for the size of your toad. I have used the RVI2 for over two years with excellent results. It is very quick and easy to set up taking less than a minute each time, is very light weight and does not push against the seal like some portable units.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I am looking at a brake system for my toad. I have read a lot about systems that use inertia for a trigger or systems that use brake lights for a trigger. However, I don't want my brakes to be on when my Jake brake is activated. I assume the Jake brake on my coach activates the inertia trigger and I know that the Jake brake activates the brake lights. But the Jake brake is an assist and not the main brake system.

I don't want to have the brakes on the toad to come on under these circumstances.

It seems like a complete waste money and brake pads on the toad to have the brakes applied when the Jake brake is on.

I would like to have a system that only applies the brakes when I push the pedal. Roadmaster has a system and I would like to know if there are any others. Any advice?

And yes, I know a Jake brake is not necessarily the technical term for the brakes on the MH.
I've had mine Roadmaster Brakemaster system on my Journey for 14 years and 206,000 miles without any problems. Does not activate with exhaust brake activation.

Hope this helps with your decision.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a US Gear system on my Grand Cherokee and it does not activate when the engine brake comes on.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I have my SMI Stay-in play Duo adjusted so it does not
engage with the engine brake, but does activate with
"harder" braking.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SMI Air Force One, works great for us.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SMI Air Force One works as you are requesting.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Another for the SMI Air Force One. I've been using the SMI system for over 10 years, two coaches and five different vehicles.

The M&G would be my second choice, but it won't fit on some vehicles because there isn't enough room to add it onto the brake cylinder on many vehicles. If you change vehicles, you can return the old unit and trade it in, IF your new vehicle will accept one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

I have been satisfied with the inertia based Brake Buddy. I've used the same system on my previous gas and my current DP coach with no problems.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

I've had an invisibrake. Works great for 6 years now.

Tags
ems, light, lights, toad