Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

My Acura will discharge the toad battery while towing if I don't pull fuse #9 on the passenger side. Even then, it still discharges especially since I start the engine and run through the gears every 4 hours or so to keep the tranny lubed. That little run time only drains the battery further.

I decided I wanted to avoid any battery problems at all so I bought and installed a Toad-Charge charger. It works great and keeps my toad battery fully charged as I drive the MH.

Installation took a couple of hours...mostly attaching the MH wire under the coach from just under the passenger side (where the MH/Cab battery charging solenoid is located) to the rear bumper. The car portion was much faster.

The unit will regulate the charge to the toad battery to either charge it or just maintain a trickle charge while the MH engine is running. All I have to do is connect the MH pigtail to the toad wire and I am done. I considered attaching the charger wire to the regular wiring harness from the MH to the toad (still might) to avoid one more thing to connect/disconnect when towing.

It was not that much more than a good isolator or charging diode and I am happy with it so far.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #2

My Acura will discharge the toad battery while towing if I don't pull fuse #9 on the passenger side. Even then, it still discharges especially since I start the engine and run through the gears every 4 hours or so to keep the tranny lubed. That little run time only drains the battery further.

I decided I wanted to avoid any battery problems at all so I bought and installed a Toad-Charge charger. It works great and keeps my toad battery fully charged as I drive the MH.

Installation took a couple of hours...mostly attaching the MH wire under the coach from just under the passenger side (where the MH/Cab battery charging solenoid is located) to the rear bumper. The car portion was much faster.

The unit will regulate the charge to the toad battery to either charge it or just maintain a trickle charge while the MH engine is running. All I have to do is connect the MH pigtail to the toad wire and I am done. I considered attaching the charger wire to the regular wiring harness from the MH to the toad (still might) to avoid one more thing to connect/disconnect when towing.

It was not that much more than a good isolator or charging diode and I am happy with it so far.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

I installed a switch with a inline fuse for about a buck..Sounds like You should have also saves a lot of work and never a batt.woe in over 6,000 miles so far...Bushman Oh it toke Me less than 1/2 hour!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

I chose the Toad Charge to make sure the battery did not overcharge or undercharge. It has a charge regulator as well as dual breakers to reduce fire risk. I looked at using diodes or an isolator but saw this as my best choice give the amount of time I had available to cobble something similar together.

But thanks for the advice; I will file it away for future use.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A potential drawback with the Toad Charge is that it provides only 5 amps. My car draws more than that with the key on accessory (all the many dash lights are on as well has some of the electronic systems) and if I tow long enough without starting the engine it still can run the battery down. I found out the hard way - with the battery dead I couldn't even turn the key Off because the steering column lock is electronic too!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #6

We installed a 5 amp toad chrge and they replaced it with a 10 amp for no charge when the 5 amp did not charge our Durango enough. We also found that it helps to turn off the auto climate control. Our steering wheel unlocks without all the dash idiot lights being activated. Try the 10 amp version of the Toad Charge.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #7

Thanks for the input. We have only towed twice with the Toad Charge and for 9 hours each on four days. I also restart the car about every 4 hours to run through the gears to keep them lubricated; but that would not be near enough to recharge the battery. I turn off the monitor and all other system; radio, climate control and GPS system so the draw should be pretty small.

If the 5 amp does not work I know I have another option.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #8

I tow a sebring and have had the car go dead as I drove through the nigh and with the lighs on just the parking lights on the tow were on. I have one thing im using it is a small solor charge that I use in the day light and I try to be off the road by dark or pull into a reat area and run the tow a while
Jim
Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
JimQ
Having the lights on shouldn't run the toad battery down -if the wiring is done properly as the toad lights are to be powered from the MH.