Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #1

Toad Charge Wiring Cherokee Trailhawk w/EPS

We just returned from our first trip with the EPS TSB completed on our 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. In addition we are running an Rvi2 brake. Even with stops along the way to run the toad for battery charging, we had a DEAD battery upon arrival (500 miles). We had to buy a new one at our location as the old one wouldn't even accept a charge from being connected to a charger overnight. Looking for ideas and opinion on the best way to power this up.

Our RV has a 7 pin connector at the rear, but only has the 4 light wires run to it. I didn't want to splice into this Jeep (after trouble with the last) so we use a quality set of magnetic tow lights and a 7 to 4 pin adapter plugged into RV.

Option 1 - Run 2 wires all the way from the battery of the RV and power up a RVI Charger or similar.

Option 2 - Direct wire with fuses and maybe diodes.

Both require more wiring between RV and toad, so I am open to options and opinions. Thanks in advance!

(PS - We towed all the way home without the EPS powered up and just ran our Rvi2 brake.) No wobble, and no dead battery. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep and RV.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	123559  
JJPP17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

I'm also running the RVI brake system along with their battery charger. My Lexi had a factory 7 pin wiring harness, so I basically use the 7 pin plug...4 wires for the lights, and the switched power line for the battety charger.
If you don't have a 7 wire harness, easiest would be to simply run some 10 guage wire from battery (pos and neg) in motor home engine compartment back to rear and connect it to your 7 pin plug. Do away with your 7 to 4 adapter and get a 7 pin plug for toad and just connect the charger to plug. What your ending up with is a 6 wire set up...4 wires for lights and 2 wires for charger.
I have a 7 pin car end on rear of Lexi and front of toad. Made up an 8 foot length wire harness with wiring and have a trailer 7 pin plug on each end. I simply plug harness into connectors and ready to go.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

JPP17-

What are the year, make and model of your coach?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
JPP17-

What are the year, make and model of your coach?
2003 Four Winds Chateau 31c on E-450.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #5

2003 E-450 Trailer Wiring

JJPP17-

Here's the link to the 2003 E-series trailer tow wiring diagram on the Ford Body Builders Layout Book page. If your coach is built on a 2002 chassis, here's the link for that page. The information should be the same.

In the 2003 and earlier chassis, Ford provided only two connectors. The coach builder (Thor) used these for both trailer and coach lights (i.e., turn/stop, parking and backup). What that means is that in those year coaches you must assume that the trailer wiring does not go directly from the connectors to the trailer hitch plug, and modifying the trailer hitch wiring involves some rewiring on the coach side, as they have a common source.

If the 2004 and later chassis, Ford provided the same two connectors, plus a third connector dedicated to coach lighting functions.

If all you want to do is to add a charge line, you can run a 10 AWG wire from the coach battery to the toad battery. I suggest you run it through the umbilical between the two, as it's cleaner than a separate cable. Put a 15A fuse or circuit breaker at each end, close to the batteries, to protect against fires should the charge line short somewhere between the batteries.

If you want to go the "full-tilt" route, you can use the charge wire Ford supplies through the two connectors mentioned above. While you're at it, connect all the wires that Thor did not run to the 7-pin connector, not just the charge line. That way you'll be ready to add a trailer electric brake controller at a later time, should you or a future owner want to tow a trailer instead of a toad.

Below, I've laid out three options for rewiring using the two connectors. On your coach, they probably are inside the left frame rail, about six feet from the rear. The connectors may be hard to get to. They are also old, so any attempt to take them apart may break the plastic locking tabs off (happened to me).

1) The wires you want are dead-ended in the harness just aft of the connectors. Unwrap the tape and crimp on wires to the unterminated stubs. Run to your 7-pin connector. Rewrap the wires (and add some loom). Attach clips as needed to support the loom.

2) Ford sells a harness (PART # F7UB−14A678−C) that has the two connectors you need, and a 7-pin round receptacle. The wire between said parts is too short for the receptacle to reach the rear of the coach. Cut off the Ford 7-pin receptacle and discard. Crimp wires to the two connectors long enough to reach your existing 7-pin receptacle location. Wrap the wires in loom. Unlock the existing connectors (here's where you break the tabs by accident) and remove them and their wiring. Attach new connectors and wiring. Hang wiring in loom with clips as needed. Terminate on 7-pin receptacle.

3) A variation on 2: Ford sells the two connectors and pigtails as part of an RV kit (would come with the coach from Ford to the coach builder). These come up on eBay every now and then.

I did option 3 on our 1997 Lazy Daze 27-foot mid-bath. I replaced the factory-supplied 4-pin connector with an "RV ProPlug" mounted on the rear bumper.

I have pictures of the rewiring project- way too many. If you're interested in those kind of details, it'd probably be better if you sent me a private message that includes your e-mail address and outline the information you'd like to know/see.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #6

Great information! Mine is on the 2002 chassis. I will be crawling under to find those wires very shortly. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

If you change the plug on the Cherokee to a 6-way round you will have the extra wire position to run the switched power lead back to the Jeep. You don't need to run 2 wires, as the white wire of the 4-way flat is the ground from the coach. The RVI Toad Charge has 3 connection wires. + and - to the battery and the + line from the coach.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
If you change the plug on the Cherokee to a 6-way round you will have the extra wire position to run the switched power lead back to the Jeep. You don't need to run 2 wires, as the white wire of the 4-way flat is the ground from the coach. The RVI Toad Charge has 3 connection wires. + and - to the battery and the + line from the coach.
I am currently not tied into any wiring on the jeep due to magnetic tow lights. I am considering a permanent section of wiring and a 6 way connector but still maintain the magnetic lights. Will I need to break the white to a chassis ground on the toad, or just run a separate ground for the charger?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPP17 View Post
I am currently not tied into any wiring on the jeep due to magnetic tow lights. I am considering a permanent section of wiring and a 6 way connector but still maintain the magnetic lights. Will I need to break the white to a chassis ground on the toad, or just run a separate ground for the charger?
So, you have a 4 flat that just runs back to the magnetic lights? I have a 7-way coming off the MH, back to a 6-way. Coming out of the 6-way, the 4-flat is connected for my jeep lights, as well as a ground wire connected with the White Ground wire on the 4 flat. The 5th wire coming out of the 6-way is the + to the Toad Charge. Just need to figure it out in your mind, how you want to make the connections, and still maintain the Mag Lights.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring