Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Toad charging options or not

I tow a 2011 Honda CR-V, and have not had trouble keeping the toad battery charged if I started it every 3 or 4 hours and let it run while we ate lunch. I was just wondering if anybody has thought about just removing the steering wheel lock to allow the wheels to turn with out the key being on? It sounds good in theory, but what problems might arise? The doors could be locked, the key off and removed. Anybody have any thoughts????

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
2011 Honda CR-V

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't usually have any problem with battery drain in the toad unless I have a lot of downhill driving to do. Brake lights seems to run the battery down in 6-8 hours of towing with my surge brake tow bar. There is a very small electrical draw when the key is in accessory position, but as long as I make sure the radio and a/c fan is turned off I haven't had a problem. I made a removable charging system harness that I use for when I know there will be lots of hills.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't modify the steering wheel lock, but may cause a concern with regards to your warranty.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

Because you have an 'immobilizer" system with the key sensor near the steering lock, it could be a problem if you remove it.

If the vehicle gets stolen, an insurance company could refuse your claim. After all, it's what they do best.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I will stop by the Honda dealer and ask a mechanic what could happen..

Thanks
Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

I never had a problem with my Subarus but the Edge worried me so I installed a Toad Charger. Never have a problem. Probably wouldn't have had a problem even without the Toad Charger but it was easy enough to do and the price was right.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Toad Charger by LSL products. Works great easy to install.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

2 thoughts. The first would be to track down any draw found with the key turned where you need it - and install a switch on that circuit?

2nd, install a charge line from the battery of the MH. Pretty simple, just fuse it (!) and run the wire through an extra terminal in the plugs your light harness uses. The wire then leads to another fuse on the toad side, then to the toad battery.

Our '03 hasn't had a problem yet - as long as I can remember to start and run it for a while once a day. It won't go a second day. Found that out the hard way...

BTW, we now carry a battery charger and extension cord with us for just such occasions. Then all we have to do is fire up the gen and charge the toad using the battery charger.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use a charge line from the motorhome to keep the jeep's battery charged.
When I didn't, the lights and toad brake system would run the batteries down after a few days towing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several issues: First; Did you need to modify the vehicle, perhaps by the addition of a LUBE PUMP.. This eats electricity?

Do you use a towed braking system like Brake Buddy, or Even Brake (one of the brake systems you install in the driver's seat every time you tow, or rather in front of the seat, that eats electricity and pushes on the pedal?)

These devices eat electricity (as noted) and the battery is the only source.. Now a new battery may have the capacity but as the battery ages.. It gets older and weaker.

The solution: TOWED CHARGE.. Basically it's one more wire.. This one hooks to either the Motor Home's chassis battery or to an isolator and feeds charging current to the towed.

On my towed I put the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. It includes this feature, When I pulled out of my lot long about 2am on Jan-2 (What are the odds of finding an RV technician at that hour) And did the walk around I found no tail lights on the towed, No power on the tail light lead coming out of the coch.. I pushed the PARKING LIGHT button on the towed and when I got to Las Vegas, some days later, still had plunty of battery to crank it up.. Got the broken tail light wire fixed under warranty a few days later.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger

I'm installing one of these next week----your battery should last longer under tow--mine can go three days then poop out (I seldom tow for that long w/o running the tow)--------might be time to have it checked even though new---my CR-V battery was replaced by the dealer when I went in for an oil change when it was quite new---I did not even ask---they just said it was bad and did it under warranty (maybe a racket but who knows).
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #11

I have a 2007 Honda CR-V and several of my friends tow 2007-2010 CR-Vs which is the same as yours. We never drain the battery while towing. Honda recommends removing a fuse, but you only need to remove that fuse if you have a factory installed navigation system. If your battery is draining you either have a defective battery or an elecrtic load that shouldn't be there.

Oh, I have a Brake Buddy as do two of my CR-V friends. And never a drained battery.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
I have a 2007 Honda CR-V and several of my friends tow 2007-2010 CR-Vs which is the same as yours. We never drain the battery while towing. Honda recommends removing a fuse, but you only need to remove that fuse if you have a factory installed navigation system. If your battery is draining you either have a defective battery or an elecrtic load that shouldn't be there.

Oh, I have a Brake Buddy as do two of my CR-V friends. And never a drained battery.
We tow an 07 CRV w/NAV. Never pull a fuse. Have never had a depleted battery in 4 years of towing.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone, the Towd charger sounds like my best bet. I will order one soon

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
2011 Honda CR-V
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

If you are going to run wiring from the MH to the toad to power a Toad Charger why not run the wiring to the toad battery instead ?? I have never understood the need for a Toad Charge. Just one of those things, if you make it and put it on the shelf people will buy it.

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, toad