Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Toad Decision: F-150 4x4 or Jeep Wrangler 4x4 - Suggestions Appreciated!

Greetings from Lake Conroe, Texas! My wife and I returned about a week ago from a wonderful three week Colorado adventure that started in Durango, moved to Pagosa Springs, and concluded in Creede. We love both hiking and exploring the mountains. While there it seemed everyone had a four wheel drive vehicle and it appeared that many RVers chose to tow a Jeep. I have thoroughly researched both Ford.com and Jeep.com and believe I like the idea of a truck more than a Jeep only due to its ability to haul and tow, plus I like its interior spaciousness. We currently use a tow dolly to pull a RX330 front wheel drive SUV, yet want to get a 4x4 so we can explore the forest and other back roads. Without any 4x4 experience I cannot decide and wonder if the F150 4x4 would be able to handle all the trails that a Jeep Wrangler could handle in mountains of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, etc. For what it is worth, the only hauling/towing I would really do would be Home Depot supplies, etc (nothing on a regular basis) Perhaps I am thinking tooooo practical in that I want the truck for its "potential utility" vs. getting a Wrangler and just having fun. Whatever I do chose, will also have to be my daily driver, mostly within 20 miles of home. THANK YOU in advance for sharing your experiences! Jeff...
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm obviously prejudiced but it's hard to compare the two for off-roading activities. However, if your priority if to tow and haul, the 150 is much better. You just won't have the kind of fun in the PU that you will with a Wrangler. As far as being a DD, the Wrangler (at least my '12) will get about 20 mpg on the road, about 17 in town. Since your hauling and towing needs really aren't that great, I'd go with the Wrangler.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

My vote is for the Jeep...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'd go with the pickup.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

I would vote for the Jeep if there were some need for extreme capabilities, but as the owner of quads (2wd and 4x4) for the last forever, I wonder how often that need occurs?

I vote for the PU for it's extra utility and comfort - IF weight isn't important.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

I have a Rubicon and it is great for off-roading. It really depends on how hard-core you want to go; if just dirt roads, the F150 would sure ride nicer, but it is bigger and will not go every where the Jeep will. I am considering the F150 myself , but it would be in addition to my Jeep. I would set it up to tow also when that would be better than my Jeep. By the way, I have the two door, but the four door is nice also and better riding with the longer wheel base.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #7

I have a four door Jeep Wrangler JKU 2012 as a Toad and my DD. I think it's great.
The Cargo capacity is good with the rear seat folded, although nowhere near the Ford the interior shape is high. The 4 door Jeep does have a 3500lbs cargo capacity and 350lbs tongue weight. My 2012 rides much smoother and quieter than my sons 2010.
If you are ordering order with the 3.73 axle ratio, Limited Slip and the Hitch from the factory, that provides higher weight springs and shocks. The new for 2012 3.6 engine is more powerful than the older 3.8 and will serve as a better Tow vehicle.
By the way this is my 5th Jeep but first Wrangler and so far my favorite.
Robert
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had multiple 4x4, and do off-roading. First 4x4 was a pickup truck, thinking it would do the double-duty of hauling and off-roading. Quickly learned it's limitations and why most who really off-road have a Jeep. Then got my first Jeep...

So I keep an old truck around I paid $2k for - a 1992 F150 2wd full size with long bed. Great for hauling and weekend Home Depot project runs.

My current Jeep is 05' Rubicon - locked at both ends, moderate lift, and 33" tires. Excellent for light to moderately serious off-roading, and a great toad.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

You would be very happy with a Jeep. We just purchased our fourth Jeep, a new Liberty. Previously a 82 CJ7 and an 01 Wrangler. Currently an '00 Wrangler and the Liberty. In process right now setting up liberty to tow. I'm sure the p'up would be a good solid vehicle but it just doesn't have the pizazz or the fun factor of the Jeep. And of course there is the factor that Jeeps are probably the easiest vehicles to tow and no limitations on speed or mileage and no difficult procedures to follow. Basically just put transfer case in neutral and go. Anxious to hear your decision.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #10

Depends on usage. I happened to see 2 towing pickups going north on I81 this morning.... they had golf carts in the back. My parents have a Liberty (behind a Allegro). Shorter, lighter (not a lot), better off road..... its a choice of usages.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
If you want to run the trails out here some can be done with a full size truck but you will be very limited.

Wranglers in the '97-'06 range have become very reasonable in price and ours did pickup truck duty back in San Diego for a while towing a 5'x8' trailer. Then I got a hold of it and ruined it for towing

Personally I tow a '98 Cherokee on 33" tires, light, very reliable and has room to spare. Stock they'll do 90% of the trails up here, the only downside is they're not convertible, you're stuck in a box on the nice days.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Be sure the F150 is towable 4 down. Some are not.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Most of the Fords are not towable four down. They may be in 2012 or 2013....haven't looked lately. Both full size Chevy and Dodge 4x4's are towable without modification. So are the Dodge Dakota and Chevy Colorado 4x4's.

I first towed an 07 Dodge Dakota, very simple to do and it was pretty peppy with a small block V-8, but very hard on fuel. I later bought I bought a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4x4 and added a driveshaft disconnect. I just bought a 2012 Chev Silverado 4x4. It tows well too.

You can buy a full size truck to tow and then put a Razor ATV in the bed and really have a hot off road setup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
You can buy a full size truck to tow and then put a Razor ATV in the bed and really have a hot off road setup.
Now yer talkin!!

But you better have some serious towing power to pull that rig. That weight would be getting right up there...

Tags
toad