Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Check with a local auto shop. I started to try to install our plates on our 2005 Pilot (same drive train as the odyssey) but realized I was in over my head. They only charged about $200 for the install (in everything-is-overpriced Northern California.) So it's probably cheaper everywhere else. As for wiring you could always just get a set of magnetic tow lights and install/remove as needed. I did at first, but eventually replaced it with permanently installed that included a battery charge line.

As for weight, our Pilot is 4500lbs with 4 kids bikes and 1/2 tank of fuel. I believe the Odyssey is similar in weight. Newer years up to 2012 or 2013 can be towed 4 down, also. The weight hasn't changed that much to make difference. As long as your hitch and motorhome are rated at least 5000lbs, you'll be fine. Our class A is rated at 5000 and we can feel the Pilot behind us, but it handles it well. Hope this helps! Let us know if you need the 4 down tow procedure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #16

Much appreciated. I am frustrated though. I think a medium size SUV would be the best bet for us, but, I am worried about the weight. I could get a Kia Soul, the cheapest option.... will look at Subaru's.... actually wondering if I should revisit the dolly idea. Thanks

Old 08-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #17

Hit The Rhod, don't know where you got info about late model Subie's/manual trans not being toable, and not going to get into a pissing match over it.
2013 Subi XV owners manual, XV with manual can be towed 4 down.
Motor Home Tow Guide, Subie's with manual tranny can be towed 4 down.
Engineer at Subi, Indiana, Subie's with manual tranny can be towed 4 down.
Only manual tranny Subie's they advise against towing 4 down, even with a manual trans are the BRZ, and the WRX.
Grumpy
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Hit The Rhod, don't know where you got info about late model Subie's/manual trans not being toable, and not going to get into a pissing match over it.
2013 Subi XV owners manual, XV with manual can be towed 4 down.
Motor Home Tow Guide, Subie's with manual tranny can be towed 4 down.
Engineer at Subi, Indiana, Subie's with manual tranny can be towed 4 down.
Only manual tranny Subie's they advise against towing 4 down, even with a manual trans are the BRZ, and the WRX.
Grumpy

Grumpy,

Quantrell Subaru, Lexington, Kentucky, Service Manager, 2015, 2014 owners manuals, plus a service/warranty bulletin that referenced refusing warranty work on late model Subaru's that had transmission problems, and base plates were installed. Didn't get service bulletin#, so not sure if it covered 2013 or not. I just looked at the owners manuals and figured I'd have an uphill battle in court trying to get Subaru to honor a warranty for usage that is prohibited in the owners manual that was supplied with the car! If they were wrong in that, I'd like to see it in writing as it may open up another possibility for a new toad!

I've been wrong before, and my wife has a list of times . . . it's rather a LONG list, but when hit between the eyes hard enough with written facts, I'll admit it . . . most of the time!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #19

Oh, and by the way, Remco and other sources will tell you all day long that certain vehicles can be safely towed using their lube pumps, but check out the verbiage in the following excerpt from Remco found in their FAQ section:

"Remco has tried to get an answer from Honda as to whether or not their Automatic Transmission vehicles can be flat towed. We still have not been able to get confirmation. Remco states that these vehicles can be flat towed, because in our experience they can be flat towed without modification. Officially, from both Honda and Remco, Honda’s Automatic Transmission vehicles cannot be flat towed behind a Motor Home. There are a few exceptions where Honda does make it clear in the Owner’s Manual that a vehicle can be flat towed (i.e. 2009-2012 Honda CR-V’s), but by and large they will state that it cannot be flat towed except in an emergency."

Interesting, they state that you can tow a Honda, and in some cases sell lube pumps that with paperwork that states it will allow you to tow it safely, with no transmission damage, but go on to tell you that "Officially" from BOTH Honda AND Remco the they cannot be flat towed.

That's like saying, "People have survived going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, so "It is SAFE to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel!"
Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #20

Look at the new Jeep Renegade. The Trailhawk automatic model can be towed 4 down. It is a light weight vehicle, trail capable and smooth ride.

I just bought an older Chevy Tracker 4fwd automatic that uses a transfer case and can be towed. Cheap reliable vehicle that you won't mind banging around the woods.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #21

Folks: I went to CarMax today and checked out some of the choices. I then went to the Kia Dealership. I think the Soul is a good choice for my needs and considering $/value. We'll see, but for $15k for a car with a 5-year/60k warrantee, it seems hard to beat.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a bit late posting but some Ford Focus models CAN be towed 4 down. I have towed our 2013 Focus for several thousand miles with no problems. I just follow the procedure in the owners manual and disconnect the battery. Very easy. We have just purchased a Honda CRV and plan to sell the Focus. Back seat access in the Focus is a kids only zone so you would be ok there.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #23

Thanks, the Ford Focus would be a solid choice. I really wanted the ST3 model, but apparently, that's the one you CAN'T flat tow.

Also, if anyone is following this, the Kia Soul is not covered by warrantee if flat towed. This is per our local dealer in writing.... sucks.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #24

Even though no longer sold in U.S., you may want to consider a used Suzuki Grand Vitara/Chevy Tracker. We have a 2002 with manual transfer case. Easy to set up to tow. Just need to run engine at each stop.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some Ford Edge models work but you have to be sure you get the right one.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #26

DONE - Kia Soul

Guys: I decided to get a Kia Soul, 2015 in White. Where's why... the weight is around 2700 pounds and it gets 31 MPG. BUT, the big factor was price! They were blowing them out at a dealer clearance "show" and I got it for around $14,600 OTD brand spanking new. That includes the tax, registration, etc. everything!

I would rather have a Jeep, Ford, etc., but this will also be my daily driver and I have to park on a University campus intermingled with students and especially foreign students with minimal driving experience. At under $15k with a 100k/10year warrantee and FREE OIL CHANGES FOR LIFE, I am not too worried about this ride. Also, I have to admit, I kinda like it

To the comment on buy USA, I agree, but I have done my part. My other car(s) include a 2011 Shelby GT500, a 1962 Ford Tbird Convertible, and a 1930 Model A streetrod... oh yeah, and a 2007 F53 Ford Chassis motorhome
Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Guys: I decided to get a Kia Soul, 2015 in White. Where's why... the weight is around 2700 pounds and it gets 31 MPG. BUT, the big factor was price! They were blowing them out at a dealer clearance "show" and I got it for around $14,600 OTD brand spanking new. That includes the tax, registration, etc. everything!

I would rather have a Jeep, Ford, etc., but this will also be my daily driver and I have to park on a University campus intermingled with students and especially foreign students with minimal driving experience. At under $15k with a 100k/10year warrantee and FREE OIL CHANGES FOR LIFE, I am not too worried about this ride. Also, I have to admit, I kinda like it

To the comment on buy USA, I agree, but I have done my part. My other car(s) include a 2011 Shelby GT500, a 1962 Ford Tbird Convertible, and a 1930 Model A streetrod... oh yeah, and a 2007 F53 Ford Chassis motorhome
You might consider asking the dealership to write a letter, on company letterhead, signed by an officer of the dealership, to you stating that they are aware that your reason for purchasing this particular vehicle is that you will intend on using to 4 wheel tow behind a motor home and that doing so will not damage the vehicle, or void any warranty. Regardless of what it says in the owners manual, this will give you legal protection in case Kia gets snippy later on down the road if transmission repairs are needed for whatever reason. I doesn't hurt, and it may potentially save you some headache.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Guys: I decided to get a Kia Soul, 2015 in White. Where's why... the weight is around 2700 pounds and it gets 31 MPG. BUT, the big factor was price! They were blowing them out at a dealer clearance "show" and I got it for around $14,600 OTD brand spanking new. That includes the taOu

Wow, that seems like a great price! Our local dealer wants 14.999 + tax, title and reg . . . Enjoy it!

Tags
ford, toad, v10