Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #29

Both Motorhome Magazine and the FMCA magazine offer towing guides for years 2015 and back. If you are an FMCA member you can access the guide on line. Sadly I believe none of your first choices offer a towable automatic. All or at least most GM products are towable 4 down ( Equinox is a nice SUV) and most Fords are towable 4 down with auto transmissions. I currently tow a 2005 Saturn Vue, (about the same as the Equinox) and it fits 2 car seats (6 year old twin grandboys) and one small adult in the back seat. Not recommended for very long drives but good for basic touring. With a small SUV you will be looking at 3700 lbs approx. which is a comfortable tow with a gas motorhome. Our last was an Adventurer with the Workhorse 8.1 and the Saturn towed easily. I'm now looking at a Ford Flex, but at 4,400 to 4,700lbs it would be a challenge for a gas RV (just my humble non-professional opinion). It will be at the upper edge or slightly above for my diesel.
Enjoy, and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #30

Definitely a good price that I could not resist. Check with your Kia dealers now if interested, the 2016's are about to arrive and they are trying to clear the 2015's from stock. That, and I think my sales guy made a mistake in my favor
Old 08-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #31

Wow, check this out. Kia is now ranked #2 in initial quality after Porsche. Within Kia, the Soul was #1.

Japan auto quality sinks below industry average

Let's hope for my sake the quality persists! I am very impressed so far!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
You are going to tow a Kia Soul 4 down?
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmoto View Post
You are going to tow a Kia Soul 4 down?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
According to Subaru (last week, and they showed me in writing) even stick shifts if after 2009 model year, will void warranty if towed 4 down, AND will burn up either the transaxle, or transmission. (I can't remember which they said). We have a 2014 outback, but cannot tow that 4 down, we are currently using a 2004 Honda Element, but we were interested in getting a Forester we could tow 4 down. No luck, unless you go with a much older model.
i am getting ready to buy a 2016 WRX Manual as a driver and toad. I sent a e-mail to Subaru regarding towing 4 wheels down and was told no problem at all in nutural manual trans.
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #35

2015 Subaru outback

it looks like starting this year you can no longer buy a Subaru outback with a manual transmission.

U.S. buyers get left out again with this 2015 Subaru Outback feature - Torque News
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #36

My first four-down was been mostly successful! Love how the Kia pulls along like nothing's even there. Easy, the Kia does not require any wiring alterations, you can run redundant wires to the rear of the car and install lights where the dummy reflectors were located. Steering does not lock if you do not remove the key, yet electronics are all off.

I think it is the perfect toad for the $$$. Very hard to beat. So far so good. My only challenge was trying to get it disconnected after pulling nose first into a tight campsite. Definitely unhook BEFORE you pull in and end up wiht the car at an angle. What a mess.

Good night from the Soul Train....
Old 10-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
According to Subaru (last week, and they showed me in writing) even stick shifts if after 2009 model year, will void warranty if towed 4 down, AND will burn up either the transaxle, or transmission. (I can't remember which they said). We have a 2014 outback, but cannot tow that 4 down, we are currently using a 2004 Honda Element, but we were interested in getting a Forester we could tow 4 down. No luck, unless you go with a much older model.
This is interesting. I was looking for a car that I can tow 4 down and use as my daily driver. I wanted a Subaru WRX. Looked in the owners manual on line and it said with a manual transmission you can tow it 4 wheels on the ground. Before I purchased the car I sent an e-mail to Subaru and specifically told them what I wanted to do with the car and that before I purchase a 2016 WRX I want to make sure it can be tow 4 down. Subaru corporate said that a Subaru with a manual transmission can be tow 4 down all day long. I hope this is true as I picked up a 2016 WRX yesterday.
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad, v10