Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stand corrected, the published curb weight is 1808. Hmm, I wonder where I got 1440? No, I've not weighed it. But it is probably the lightest car you'll be able to find now. Towed 4 down it isn't noticeable except when I first start out after hooking up as the tow arms are locking in. I usually put it in neutral if we're on flat ground and then I can push or pull it to get it where the tow arms will fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2014 Smarty Passion weighs 2k# with full gas tank. 1200# on rear axle, 800# on front axle.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #31

Thumbs up 2016 Itasca Navion/2017 Chevrolet Spark...

The Spark is a perfect fit (IMHO) for the Navion/Mercedes Sprinter. We had the Spark outfitted with Roadmaster towing products and had everything installed by Transwest RV in Frederick, CO. We got the basic Spark manual version for about 13-grand. Although there appears to be differing opinions about what is required to tow the Spark, our 2017 only requires that it be in neutral. The steering wheel does not lock so turning on the accessories has not been needed. We have taken some long trips with the Spark in tow; no keys in it...and there have been no problems. I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'11" and the seating and interior space has been comfortable. When towing it, we put a large YETI cooler on the back seat to extend our food carrying capacity. Driving the little Spark is a treat; the gear box is smooth (5-speeds) and though the Spark is low powered, it is has gotten us around Interstates and excels as a "city car." The electronics are more than you would expect for a "basic" model (even sports a backup camera.) As other posts indicate, the weight of the Spark is well below the Sprinter's capacity. We have several cars, but since getting the Spark we have taken to driving it as our "in town" rig; good gas mileage and fun to drive.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #32

We also towed a 2010 Smart car behind our 2010 Winnebago View for 40K miles and never had one issue. We had a scan guage installed and would watch the heat going over mountains. With the Smart, we never exceeded the 215 level. In our opinion, the lighter, the better in terms of the wear and tear on that engine. (and if you read the forums, the transmission)

Jan & Frank
happytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #33

Honda Fit

We towed a Honda Fit with Auto Transmission for the past three years. We needed a Toad that was light, good fuel economy and had an auto trans. The Honda Fit is an excellent toad and as a bonus has an unbelievable amount of space in the back when the back seats are folded down. When we travel in the RV, I load it with light, bulky items like bicycles, laundry baskets, etc. FYI: there is a procedure to prepare the Fit transmission for towing that must be followed exactly. If you do not prepare it properly, the transmission will suffer catastrophic failure. You must also change the transmission fluid every two years. Fits w/auto trans newer than 2013 cannot be towed due to the CVT transmission. If I were in the market for a Toad, I'd look for a low mileage 2012 or 2013 Honda Fit. Another bonus: It's a great second car. I installed the Blue Ox Base Plate because.it did not require cutting anything off the car. The other option required sawing some metal pieces off the frame or something near the frame. I didn't want to cut anything off the car.
pattaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, class c