Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Toad guards

I notice that when towing, there is seldom a guard on the vehicle.
What are the pros and cons on having one on the toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Some friends of ours did not have a road guard on their MH and 2011 Subaru while they were in the lower 48 for the winter. When they got back to Alaska the front of the vehicle was a mess. Cost them $1400 to have it repaired. On our last trip to the lower 48 and back we towed our 1999 Dodge Durango. Along with the attachments to tow the vehicle, I purchased a Kar Kard II to protect the Durango. It did just fine and worked as it should. We did not have any damage to the front of the vehicle and no broken/cracked windshield.
We have seen many MH's that do not have anything to protect the TOAD and I guess that works for them. I am happy to spend the extra money and protest the TOAD.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a Protect A Tow and a yoga mat that I used on my trip to Alaska. Don't really use them in the lower 48. I haven't really seen the need.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Some say they have towed tens of thousands of miles without any problems to the towed auto, I towed for a short period of time and recieved signs of damage so this is what works for me Meridian 42E Mud Guard, click on the photo in post #2 to blow it up for viewing.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #5

Mud flaps right behind the RV duallies the width of the duallies 4 to 6 inches off the ground and something like an UltraGuard full width of the RV on the back of the RV 6 to 8 inches off the ground will eliminate 99%? of rocks kicked up by the RV. Slow down to address the other 1% and rocks kicked up by other vehicles on the road.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

It depends on the dynamics of your rig and toad.

You may want to post on the Entegra forum for more relative info.

I have just standard mudflaps behind the dual wheels and have had no chips on my Wrangler in over 25,000 miles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced the mud flaps behind all the wheels except the front right.(haven't found a way to attach it.I stopped at a truck stop to get the big flaps and then cut them down to correct size. NAPA has solid rubber ones $19.99 but I had already bought the other type. I also went to Fleet Farm and bought a bar type that you attach to the hitch (2 nuts and a ubolt) and the flaps that come with the unit so you have full width of toad covered. Looks nice too top 1/2 is aluminum x marks(I can't remember what its called) i think its call diamond something. Any way it works and was around $130.00
I'd really like to install ones like the big new units have that hang from chains, but was pushed for time . Next time I will do it like that.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
140,000 miles towing 100k with gas and 42 with DP ... never any damage to toads. The toads were pickups & Jeeps, nothing really low to the ground. Never used any additional guards.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I think some of what may be going on here is one's level of tolerance for "damage." I'm the kind of person who can tell you each and every time after a trip where the new chips and digs are on our toad . . . also on our motorhome. I'm also the kind of person who parks out on the fringe of parking lots to avoid the inconsideration of those who park next to me.

So, I've gone the route of bigger mud flaps on the motorhome, a Roadmaster Tow Guard on the front of the toad, even added mud flaps on the bottom edge of the Tow Guard. Can't have too much protection

Yep, obsessive! Hate chips and dings.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After your toad gets dinged it's too late for protection, the damage is already done. We use the Protect A Tow, it's relatively inexpensive, easy to install and remove, and does a great job protecting our toad and the tow bar, cables, and cords connecting our toad to the motorhome.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

I'm with Warren on this one. I tow a 2002 Saturn sc2. It's like a skate board on wheels. Light though. I have a road master rock guard and like Warren, I cut a mud flap down and attached it to the lower part of the rock guard. I went to North Carolina a year ago and went through a construction zone and heard the rocks hitting the underside. On my toad, The lower mud flap protects the radiator. Its about 6 inches of the ground. Have a good day. David..
Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #12

Used a Roadmaster Guardian for about 10 years with both a Grand Cherokee and a C-RV. Our previous coach had a large compartment I could store it in. Our current coach doesn't. I opted to install an UltraGuard on this motorhome and not use the Guardian. One thing I kept reminding myself was that I had towed boats far more miles than a dinghy with no protection for them at all. And no damage. It's been over a year and 10,000 miles without the Guardian. No damage to the car and it is one less thing to deal with both when hooking/unhooking the car.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Warren. Well it's nice to find a person with similar ideas on caring for their "stuff". I have just ordered the Guardian Rock Shield and Storage bracket for my MH and toad. I will be pulling a 2013 Chevy Equinox and was wondering how and where you attached the additional mudflaps to your rock shield if that is where you attached it too. Also I read somewhere where the rock shield reduces the cooling to the transmission on the toad when towing. Personally I can't see that as a problem. I hope this setup provides decent protection as I want to reduce rock chips as much as possible.
Regards, Moe
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejean View Post
Hello Warren. Well it's nice to find a person with similar ideas on caring for their "stuff". I have just ordered the Guardian Rock Shield and Storage bracket for my MH and toad. I will be pulling a 2013 Chevy Equinox and was wondering how and where you attached the additional mudflaps to your rock shield if that is where you attached it too. Also I read somewhere where the rock shield reduces the cooling to the transmission on the toad when towing. Personally I can't see that as a problem. I hope this setup provides decent protection as I want to reduce rock chips as much as possible. Regards, Moe
Your MH and toad are the same stature as my MH (33 ft front engine) and Wrangler. Perhaps you want to tow it a short while first to see if the investment is warranted? My previous post explains my setup.
I previously towed a Saturn SL2, low and sleek. Same outcome.
Not trying to sway you. Just providing a thought.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad