Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Smile Toad Hitch Suggestions for 8" Rise and Bike Rack

I want to run my toad (a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with lift, 3300#) as well as a blue ox tow bar and a yakima bike rack (2 bikes).

The hitch height of the RV is at 19.5" and the toad hookup point is at 27".

I plan on running a dual hitch connected to the rv and having the bike rack in the upper hitch and the tow bar in the lower hitch (via a 8" rise hitch). Is this the correct thing to do since I'm a newbie and any suggestions to other better setups? Better products etc?

Also, not sure as I will have to measure but may need a 2" extender to clear the bike rack for the riser... Not sure if anyone has a similar setup that can help. I do not want to run the bike rack on the toad since I want to avoid unloading the rack when unhooked up.

Thank you all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Anyone? I was planning on the following:

MaxxTow Dual Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 12" Long MaxxTow Hitch Accessories MT70070

and the

yakima:
Yakima Doubledown 4 Hitch Mount 4-Bike Rack (Universal) [8002424] | Accessories - AMain Performance Cycling - AMain Performance Cycling

Old 12-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinout View Post
I want to run my toad (a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with lift, 3300#) as well as a blue ox tow bar and a yakima bike rack (2 bikes).

The hitch height of the RV is at 19.5" and the toad hookup point is at 27".

I plan on running a dual hitch connected to the rv and having the bike rack in the upper hitch and the tow bar in the lower hitch (via a 8" rise hitch). Is this the correct thing to do since I'm a newbie and any suggestions to other better setups? Better products etc?

Also, not sure as I will have to measure but may need a 2" extender to clear the bike rack for the riser... Not sure if anyone has a similar setup that can help. I do not want to run the bike rack on the toad since I want to avoid unloading the rack when unhooked up.

Thank you all
Well Sir,
Your unwillingness to carry the bikes on the toad can cause a traffic jamb in the hitch area between the toad and coach. It can and has been done but, the logistics just make it a bit more complicated due to needed clearances for the bikes and rack, vs the front end of the Cherokee hood etc. I understand your reason for not wanting the bikes on the back of the toad.

However, depending on your outlook, it's really not a big deal. We've done it for years like that. And, there's been many times that while traveling, and had the need of the toad while stopped some place, like Walmart or, Home Depot etc., we just unhook the toad with bikes attached and, drive to where ever we need, with bikes attached.

But, again, it all depends on your outlook. If you really want the rack and bikes on the back of the coach, you'll just have to make sure that, when calculating the placement of everything, rack, bikes, tow bar, Jeep hood, etc., that when negotiating turns, drive ways, turns AND driveways, and any other place/situation that requires tight turns and possible dips, that no contact between the bikes/rack and the Jeeps hood will occur.

Since you asked: "Is this the right thing to do?", Well, there is NO right or wrong way of doing something like this. It all depends on everyone's unique situation and, how they want to handle it. I didn't see or read what kind of coach you have but, if it's diesel pusher, access to the engine/rear/radiator area while on the road, can be of importance so, blocking that area via the rack and bikes can cause some heartache.

But, if your coach is a gasser, then all of the above does not apply. Don't know if any of what I've stated helps but, good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If a diesel pusher, engine heat and exhaust are a consideration. It can get pretty warm at the rear if he coach, potentially damaging bikes carried there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rollinout-

Hmm. You say your RV hitch is 19.5" off the ground and the toad is 27" off the ground. You plan to use an 8" rise adapter to make the towbar level. Do you mean to hook it all up like this?:

Code:
                              ^ Bike Rack
                              |   
                   |---*------|
                   |
           |---*---|---*---|-------------------| Jeep
           |
RV hitch --|

Rise    Dual            Towbar
I wouldn't do it, if I had other options. I might consider it without the rise, but you need that for correct towing.

Random thoughts:

1) You'd want to use Quiet Hitches, for sure, to cut down the slop.

2) The Jeep lift means the bikes are farther off the ground than usual, no matter mounted in front or behind the Jeep.

3) I tried a dual hitch with a smaller rise (2-1/4"), and it was not enough to install the bike rack such that it would clear the towbar "stinger."

Mark
Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies and great ideas, I think I will have to revisit what I want to do based on your replies. I do have a diesel pusher with side radiator so it may get hotter there for the bikes, may pop a tire unless the height is high enough, not sure...

I have a 2000 MADP 4093 Diesel just bought so I'm jumping in head first with this setup and a toad!

It would simplify things with the bike rack on the toad and may do that... I would be lower cost too, not needing the dual hitch and another connenction, another set of quiet hitches and locking pins etc.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
rollinout-

Hmm. You say your RV hitch is 19.5" off the ground and the toad is 27" off the ground. You plan to use an 8" rise adapter to make the towbar level. Do you mean to hook it all up like this?:

Code:
                              ^ Bike Rack
                              |   
                   |---*------|
                   |
           |---*---|---*---|-------------------| Jeep
           |
RV hitch --|

Rise    Dual            Towbar
Exactly like your diagram! I was trying to do that graphically but gave up your diagram is perfect. I think I will throw the bike rack on the cherokee and elimiate the need to purchase the dual hitch and extender if needed. So would be the tow bar direct to jeep with some quiet hitches and locking pin. Then the bike rack on the Jeep with a locking pin and quiet hitch. I think that works...
Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinout View Post
Exactly like your diagram! I was trying to do that graphically but gave up your diagram is perfect. I think I will throw the bike rack on the cherokee and elimiate the need to purchase the dual hitch and extender if needed. So would be the tow bar direct to jeep with some quiet hitches and locking pin. Then the bike rack on the Jeep with a locking pin and quiet hitch. I think that works...
rollinout,
I think you'll be much happier in loading and off loading the bikes on and off the back of the toad, vs up higher on the back of the coach. However, you'll still have the approximate 8" difference between link heights. So, a riser would still be needed to get your tow bar relatively level. Then, you're good to go.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #9

Thank you and yes I am going with the back of the toad bike rack and my Yakima steel rack with hitch tighteners and locking pin.

Update: Just bought a roadmaster falcon tow bar, safety cables, baseplate (which I won't be using since I have steel Jeep bumpers), brakemaster and carry bag and a 3" riser for 300 bucks and it is barely used, still shiny! I got lucky! So I'll be using that setup and keeping the riser as a spare, perhaps on the bike rack on the jeep to elevate it somewhat.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

We were faced with a similar issue of needing a tow bar and a bicycle rack, but we chose to put the rack on the back of the motorhome, and it has worked well for us.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #11

I am searching for a rack and have noticed many bike rack manufacturers including Yakima and Hollywood say NO Trailer or Towed vehicle locations. I called Hollywood and they told me that the sway of side to side fatigues the metal and they have had several failures.

That said, I have got to use the receiver in my truck I'm towing. What racks have worked well for extensive use?

TIA,

John

Tags
bike rack, toad