Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We are real happy with our Fit toad.
Our other car is a Acura TL.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #16

I have a TL and a Fit also:-)

I purchased the auto Fit early this winter for a high mpg car and tow vehicle. I can't say enough good about the car. It is small and not sporty looking at all but get in and drive it and it does not matter anymore. The rear seats fold down flat and make tons of room for our dogs or what ever. It really drives awesome and is way more fun than it looks like it would be.
Mileage is very good, about 40 on the highway as long as your trying at all to be easy. 35 or so around back and forth to work 10 miles each way 5 highway, 5 city.

It is light and sits behind the Motorhome fine, honestly can't tell it is there. Used
Roadmaster base plate, tow bar, and light kit. Dropped in easy as 123.

I looked at the CRV and wanted one for the higher ground clearance and sporty look but the interrior room was way lacking for my needs. I do like them though.

The 65 MPH thing and Honda not allowing 4 wheel down towing anymore on anything other than the Fit is just liabilaty coverage. To many people pulling cars that are to heavy with tow vehicles that are to light and having control issues so Honda wants you to pull the lightest thing they have... or at least that is what they told me (off record-sort of).
One of my friends parrents (who full time) have an older Accord and forgot to slip it into neutral and towed it for 400 miles while left in 2nd gear. No worse for the wear.

I think you just need to figure out what car you like and that car will work fine as long as your tow vehicle is big enough and you follow the proper proceedure for cycling the transmission gearing to properly lube the gears.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #17

Gents,
We went from a 12-16 mpg Grand Cherokee Overland 2WD to the CRV for GOOD gas mileage, a smaller SUV, tow-ability, and practicality. I like that little car a lot. While up at the dealership getting ready to drive our new CRV away, I noticed a brand new FIT sitting in front of the show room. It was a gorgeous new color called "Rasberry Metallic". Man, that thing is pretty.

But, as I went over and sat in it, it's a tad more primitive than our new CRV. I didn't even inquire about how a Fit can be optioned out. If, it can be optioned out like our CRV, that is, NAV, BLUE TOOTH, AWD, LEATHER and a few other odds and ends of the higher end, I might think about it later. I most certainly like the higher gas mileage of the Fit. I hate sending oil execs great, great, great, great grand kids through college.

The wife is more prone to the "SUV" thing while I'm more interested in higher gas mileage, we compromised with the CRV. I certainly don't condemn any one for purchasing the Fit for any reason. Like stated, if it were just me, I'd have one sitting in the garage. But, I do like the CRV and, it did give us right at 30 mpg on the way home from the dealer, which, is a FAR CRY FROM 12-18 on the way up to the dealer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
But, as I went over and sat in it, it's a tad more primitive than our new CRV. I didn't even inquire about how a Fit can be optioned out. If, it can be optioned out like our CRV, that is, NAV, BLUE TOOTH, AWD, LEATHER and a few other odds and ends of the higher end, I might think about it later. I most certainly like the higher gas mileage of the Fit. I hate sending oil execs great, great, great, great grand kids through college.
That's why I made my initial post regarding comparing the Fit and the CRV. The Fit is much more primitive. My CRV came with 63 more HP, 5 speed AT, power heated leather seats, XM, moon roof, alloy wheels, four wheel disc brakes, automatic digital climate control and more. The Fit is a fine car and will give years of good service, but it's not fair to compare it to a CRV...it's an apples to oranges comparison.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
That's why I made my initial post regarding comparing the Fit and the CRV. The Fit is much more primitive. My CRV came with 63 more HP, 5 speed AT, power heated leather seats, XM, moon roof, alloy wheels, four wheel disc brakes, automatic digital climate control and more. The Fit is a fine car and will give years of good service, but it's not fair to compare it to a CRV...it's an apples to oranges comparison.
Yes I miss those things some on my Fit but the 40 mpg and the heated leather seat covers I installed for about $450 make up for it. Also it is the towed vehicle, when home I have my BMW and Ford Expedition Limited when I feel the need to be pampered. If I had only one vehicle it would still be the Fit because for me it is a good f--! As we all recognize -- different stokes for different folks.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am most appreciative of all of the great feedback from other posters -- this information has been thoroughly discussed with my DW who is as interested in this as I am. Tomorrow, assuming the 2012 CRV's hit the dealers as Honda has represented they will, we will test drive the new CRV along with the 2012 Fit Sport. Right now, we have open minds about both as the towing issue between the CRV and Fit seems to us to be able to resolved completely by good towing equipment.

I was intially worried about the potential problem in towing the Fit due to lower profile than CRV and I spent a lot of time on various tow bar web sites doing more research about this. I am now quite persuaded that the relative vehicle height is a non issue given the quality of the towing equipment currently available.

I will report back to this thread after having test driven both vehicles with our impressions.

I am now interested in knowing which towing equipment you all favor. All opinions are welcome. We are leaning toward the Blue Ox Alladin or Aventra along with Patriot brake for toad. Any thoughts on these for CRV or Fit?????

Thanks

Denis
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I am most appreciative of all of the great feedback from other posters -- this information has been thoroughly discussed with my DW who is as interested in this as I am. Tomorrow, assuming the 2012 CRV's hit the dealers as Honda has represented they will, we will test drive the new CRV along with the 2012 Fit Sport. Right now, we have open minds about both as the towing issue between the CRV and Fit seems to us to be able to resolved completely by good towing equipment.

I was intially worried about the potential problem in towing the Fit due to lower profile than CRV and I spent a lot of time on various tow bar web sites doing more research about this. I am now quite persuaded that the relative vehicle height is a non issue given the quality of the towing equipment currently available.

I will report back to this thread after having test driven both vehicles with our impressions.

I am now interested in knowing which towing equipment you all favor. All opinions are welcome. We are leaning toward the Blue Ox Alladin or Aventra along with Patriot brake for toad. Any thoughts on these for CRV or Fit?????

Thanks

Denis
I drag our CRV around with a Roadmaster Sterling. No muss no fuss. It is easy to hook up and stores nicely.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
After 50+ years of GM's we finally went with the CRV for our new Toad. I drove a CRV a few years ago and couldn't get it back to the dealer quick enough. No power and the road noise was horrible. Heard they improved performance and made it quieter so we took one for a test drive up I-80 out of SLC, UT. 5-7% grade. It was awesome, so we bought the 2011 EX-L. I argue with the gal in the dash a lot when she doesn't understand me but there isn't another Toad I would rather have. Love the duel heat/A/c system. The wife can have her hot temps and I can have my cool temps. I also like that it is easy to get in and out of. We just hit the 1000 mile mark while snowbirding in Yuma. Did I mention that I love this Toad.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
2012 crv

Tonight we were able to stop at our local Honda dealership to see the 2012 CRV AWD. The 2012's were "officially" released today, but in fact started to show up at some of the dealerships within the past two days. We had four new ones at our dealership, all AWD models.

Really a nice looking buggy! Though we were not able to drive the new CRV due to the lateness of our arrival, we did get to look over two models which were on the floor -- the EX and the EX-L.

Both very nice. Back up camera, sunroof, XM radio (EX-L) or Pandora (EX), a bit roomier inside than the '11 (something you can see and feel immediately upon getting into the car), nicely re-styled interior, outside facia and rear lights and tailgate. Great looking roof rack and cross bars are available -- a bit pricey, but probably worth it for our MH crowd when we want to put bikes on the toad bike rack on the roof or install an above-the-roof storage container (e.g. Thule or Yakima).

The new CRV is reported to get slightly better mileage than last year's model (30 highway for AWD model, 31 for 2WD) and is advertised as noticeably quieter inside (an observation confirmed twice by our salesman). The salesman, who owns a 2011 AWD CRV, told us that he had been out on three test drives with customers today in the '12 EX AWD and he wishes he had waited for the 2012 before buying his '11 because of the many nice changes he sees in the '12 (of course what salesman wanting to sell the newest model wouldn't say something like that??!!)

Honda had an opportunity -- which for some reason it decided to pass on -- to upgrade the CRV transmission from 5 speed to 6 speed and they are already being criticized for this in the reviews -- justifiably so IMO. Mileage has nonetheless improved in the '12 with other tweaks that Honda engineers made, most notably reduction in weight and a more refined AWD system (it apparently gives assist to rear wheels all the time instead of only giving power to the rears when compromised front wheel traction demanded it in previous models and is reported to operate a lot smoother and more seamlessly). With a new 6 speed, even the increased fuel economy in the '12 might well have been even better.

All in all, it looks like a lovely car -- and having been back and forth, back and forth on this issue with the Fit, we are now leaning a lot more in favor of the 2012 CRV EX AWD, no doubt about it. To us, it looks to be the right size, the right look, with more room and comfort and quieter than the Fit and, unless one simply chooses to outright ignore the many, many postings to this and other MH forums, the single most popular toad traveling behind the vast majority of American RV's.

There comes a point when you have to consider that where so many good recommendations are posted, it is a pretty good indication of the unvarnished truth that this is one really good toad. In our thinking, Honda took things up a significant notch with the 2012 CRV.

Naturally, we will need and want to know as soon as we can find the info, whether the 2012 CRV will have the same set up as the 2011 for use as a toad for our Ventana. I assume that the new model chassis has not changed at all so that the towing plate attached to the car frame will fit the same as it did previously -- and I assume that, with some minor surgery by a skilled tow equipment surgeon, installation of the tow plate will be able to be done while still preserving the good looks of the front of the CRV (and not look too obvious when the car is being used in day to day traffic on its own). Those things at present are unanswered questions which remain to be resolved. I am hopeful that there will, very soon, be info posted on how seamlessly the 2012 will be in terms of fit and finish of the towing apparatus -- hopefully as good as the 2011.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up We bought the 2012 CRV!!!

Yesterday we drove the 2012 CRV EX AWD and were very impressed. After having researched price and availability with six dealers within 50 miles, we bought exactly what we wanted 40 miles away and got the best deal. Car will be delivered with installed options late Monday or Tuesday.

Comes just in time for snow hitting our area!

New CRV is quiet and comfortable. Styling changes are nice -- we opted to get rear spoiler with third light -- spoiler looks cool and adds to the overall new styling of the car. We decided that the roof rails and cross bars -- at nearly $750.00 --- were too expensive. Installed trailer hitch for our bikes at $200.00 is a much better and more practical deal.

Will now be researching towing equipment for use as toad with MH.

Thanks again for all comments.
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #25

Deek,
Apparently, you've inquired about the ability to tow the 2012 CRV since you're out looking for tow equipment. We've all been wondering whether it is or not. I could not see Honda, taking away the ability to tow, one of the most popular tow vehicles in the country in a revamped model. But, that's how rumors get started. Did you look in the owners manual for confirmation or, simply ask a salesman? I'd have gone into something more concrete than taking a salesman's word.

Glad you got the '12. We came very close but were hesitant due to uncertainty of delivery date and whether or not we could get a base plate in time for our late January Quartzite trip. So, we went with the '11. Sometimes I wish we would have waited. But, there's always next year.
Scott
Old 12-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott --

Yes, we told the salesman that it was absolutely necessary that we have him confirm directly with Honda that the 2012 will be towable in the same way the 2011 is. We were advised that the frame is the same in all respects as the 2011 and that the big differences are improvement in the AWD system (which apparently gives regular assist to the rear wheels all the time to some degree and increases assist as needed as the front wheels need help with slightly better mileage from '11 -- as opposed to no assist to the rear wheels until needed in 2011 and earlier versions) -- and, of course, the styling changes -- front and rear appearance and interior. The 2012's come standard with back up camera which we like, Pandora and Bluetooth hook up which we love, a bit quieter ride with more sound deadening material and a bit more inside room (though an inch shorter from the '11).

Honda also kept the 5 speed transmission -- another reason we were told that the '12 will tow virtually identically to the '11 -- even thought I would have preferred a 6 speed like many others.

In short, all green lights from Honda as to towing -- and you bet our deal was contingent on this confirmation.

Last thing -- I agree with you 100% -- why would Honda make any change here with the SUV which is -- believe it or not -- the best selling SUV in America bar none, and the most preferred toad being hauled behind RV's on the road?
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #27

Deek,
Thanks for the confirmation. Sometimes I wish we would have waited but, we'll make our '11 work just fine. We really like it. We got 30.3 on the way home from the dealer so, coming from 12-18 mpg on average and going to 23-30 is way better and, although not the mileage of the FIT, it's more practical for us. And, for those times when we feel like venturing off on a dirt road, I'll feel at least a tad better know we have some form of four wheel drive. So, thanks again. Oh, by the way, just finished this afternoon, installing a base plate from Blue Ox. A bit of work but, certainly doable by about 99% of the RV drivers out there that have any capability at all.
Scott
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CRV is a great choice. Enjoy. Don't fret the five speed, Honda has it perfected. MPG will be as good as equal vehicle with a six.

Tags
toad