Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
SUV which is -- believe it or not -- the best selling SUV in America bar none, ..
Not quite
Honda CR-V second best-selling SUV in the US

Top 10 Best-Selling SUVs In America - November 2011 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Best-Selling SUV/Crossover

#1 Ford Escape 21,823
#2 Honda CR-V 16,426
#3 Chevrolet Equinox 14,936
#4 Jeep Grand Cherokee 13,545
#5 Ford Explorer 12,888
#6 Toyota RAV4 11,330
#7 Nissan Rogue 10,845
#8 Honda Pilot 10,487
#9 Ford Edge 9685
#10 Kia Sorento 9669

Best Selling SUVs: November 2011
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Mike. I stand corrected. But ... you can't blame Honda for slipping at a time when the earthquake devastated Japan where many of the parts made for the CRV were in short -- or no -- supply for a while. That Honda recovered its position as strongly as they have by the end of this year is undeniably a testament to their reputation and how much people out there -- especially people with our RV interests -- buy the CRV's and Fit's.

Regardless, there are definitely bragging rights for the Top Dog and you can bet that Ford is happy to be making the grade on this one -- whatever tail wind behind them got them there.

Plenty good to say about both Ford and Honda. But remember who we are -- motorhomers. I see many more RV's towing CRV's and Fit's behind them than any other brand. How bout you? I am not normally a Honda guy myself, but I am a math guy and I always go with the percentages unless there is something really skewed about them that ought to make me pause to question things. After a lot of research, we ended up loving the features of the 2012 CRV and given the application, the number of them on the backs of RV's of all types and the favorable comments in the postings on this and other RV web sites, think we made a smart choice.

Happy Holidays!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
No way I would buy unless I read the owner manual about being towable 4 down, the salesman I bought my FIT from did not even know it was towable 4 down.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Demoon -- thanks for the comment. Having someone confirm your decision is always a comforting thing!!!

Scott, you made the right choice. The '11 is fabulous. A good friend of ours bought one a month ago like you -- and it is his fifth one over the years. He and his wife both have them and love them. His wife's CRV has 145,000 miles and still going very strong. Like my pal says, "I used to own Volvos but I got tired of paying what I had to to keep them in repair -- and the darn CRV's don't break!"

I would definitely like to know from you what kind of surgery you had to do to attach the base plate on yours. I am a fussy German tailor (inherited from my Dad) and I am thinking that if it's not too tough, I might be able to tackle the job myself. Let me know if you can what you had to do to make it work so that I can assess whether the skills my Dad left me with will be up to the job. Happy to hear from you by email if that's easier -- though I am sure others on this thread would love to hear what you did and how it went with you on the installation.

Thanks!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
.....How bout you? I am not normally a Honda guy myself, but I am a math guy and I always go with the percentages unless there is something really skewed about them that ought to make me pause to question things.
I am a TOTAL Honda guy..(Motorcycles that is) Been racing them since 1971!

1st 1969 (350 scrambler)
2nd 1973 (CR250)
3rd 1978 (CR250R)
4th 1984 (Car)
5th 1997 Lawnmower..(Still got it and it works perfectly)
6th 2003 (CR250R)
7th 2004 (CR500AF)
8th 2006 (CRF450R)
9th 2008 (CRF450R)
10th 2009 Powerwasher

AND a FORD Guy
1st 1967 Mustang (bought in 1988)
2nd 1990 Explorer
3rd 1999 Explorer
4th 2005 Explorer (current TOAD)
5th 2008 Volvo (actually a FORD)
6th 2010 Mazda (also a FORD)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Rream --

Just to be on the safe side, and for the good of the Order (and all who want to know this info directly from Honda), I insisted that the salesman check the 2012 CRV Owner's Manual to do exactly what you suggest -- determine what Honda represents as to towing on the 2012 CRV. The 2012 CRV Owner's Manual explicitly represents that it is safe for motorhome towing four down up to 65 mph. Same language, I am told, as in the 2011 CRV Owner's Manual.

In addition, I told the salesman that I wanted to have the dealer contact Honda directly to confirm that the 2012 has the same towing capability as the 2011 -- and that I wanted to confirm this from Honda before committing to the sale. Both the sales manager and the service manager called Honda directly and confirmed same to me.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Honda all the way?

Mike --

I understand -- we're kindred spirits! My first bike was a '65 Honda 305 Dream Machine, black. Bought it from a guy who worked with my Dad and after riding it a few years, he got tired of it and left it out in his yard in all weather -- the engine had seized up before I bought it for $200 in 1971. My Dad and I (mostly my Dad, the Magician) got it unseized, rewired, repaired, tuned and running like a top. I ran it for five years through and after college, sold it to a neighbor who had lusted over it for the five plus years -- for $400 -- he ran it for five years too and then sold it for $800. To my knowledge, the bike is still going strong!

That says something strong about Honda products IMO.

The Scrambler was my lust object. Outstanding design. Who didn't want one? Never was able to afford one when I most wanted it.

I owned a Honda Gold Wing 1992 to 1994 -- and loved it till I bought my first Harley. Have never been the same since! Now have three of them -- all 2011's -- Street Glide, Road Glide Ultra and Road King -- and DW has 2011 Road King!

This CRV will be the first Honda product I have owned since 1994. But I am a believer, just like you.

I recon that this thread being about Honda products and being started by me, we are okay with these comments and not formally "off topic".

Cheers!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive been a ford guy all my life and was going to buy a new Escape but ended up with a new CR-V because of no issues with tranny problems from towing and i do have to say i really like the CR-V very nice and comfortable to drive and ride in and very roomy for the smaller size
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought our CRV in November and set it up with Blue OX along with Evenbrake system. DW loves it. Plan to pull it to Yellowstone next year. Manual recommends Trans service at 15,000 if towed 4 down.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Demoon -- thanks for the comment. Having someone confirm your decision is always a comforting thing!!!

Scott, you made the right choice. The '11 is fabulous. A good friend of ours bought one a month ago like you -- and it is his fifth one over the years. He and his wife both have them and love them. His wife's CRV has 145,000 miles and still going very strong. Like my pal says, "I used to own Volvos but I got tired of paying what I had to to keep them in repair -- and the darn CRV's don't break!"

I would definitely like to know from you what kind of surgery you had to do to attach the base plate on yours. I am a fussy German tailor (inherited from my Dad) and I am thinking that if it's not too tough, I might be able to tackle the job myself. Let me know if you can what you had to do to make it work so that I can assess whether the skills my Dad left me with will be up to the job. Happy to hear from you by email if that's easier -- though I am sure others on this thread would love to hear what you did and how it went with you on the installation.

Thanks!

Deek
Deek,
My son and I did the "tear down" in prep for installing the base plate. What I mean by tear down is, you have to remove the plastic radiator/engine cover, about 6 or 8 plastic push in-removable rivets. Then, 6 screws along with more push-in removeable rivets for the entire front plastic grill/fender fronts. And finally, the under skin, plastic gravel shield, with more push-in removeable plastic rivets.

I should have taken pictures of what was needed in metal modification because I just about knew that you or someone else might be interested in this procedure. What a bone head. Anyway, it wasn't very bad at all. The D/W was horrified when she came out and I had a sawzall in my hand and, the entire front end was off the car. I must say, that with any experience at all, you can have that entire front set of plastics off, in about 6-8 minutes.

Now, for the metal cutting. I used the Blue Ox base plate, the one that's the most popular bought, #2246 in the etrailer.com site. It came with instructions that were, for the most part, fairly easy to follow. The cutting, does nothing to the integrity of the structural strength of the front end. You're simply cutting a tad bit of "webbing" and an "ear" off the front bumper, on each side which, is under the plastic anyway. You have to re-locate a bracket for the power steering cooling lines but, that's well covered in the instructions.

In the end, as far as cutting the plastic/grill for the base plate tabs to protrude through, it was very minimal. Yes, you can see the base plate tabs, but primarily if you really look for them. Other wise, they're barely noticeable. I'd recommend doing it yourself to anyone who's got any talents of mechanics what so ever. Now, the wiring, that's a different story. I'm not exactly sure of what I'm going to do in that category. You see, I want the amber turn signals to work on the CRV but, our '04 Itasca Horizon only has a two filament system so, that my be a problem. I'm working on solution as we speak. Hope this helps some. If you'd like some particular info regarding this operation, surely feel free to PM me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #39

Deek,
Sorry for the late reply. Been a bit busy with junk around the house. I got the pics for you and they're included here. As you can see, there was no "butchering" of any type. It was some tiny, basic surgery. Piece of cake. See what you think.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
CRV Tow plate / installation pictures

Scott -

Great pics - thanks very much. You did an excellent job. Outstanding work. I am researching to see how soon the tow manus will post info about installation for the '12 CRV - which, incidentally, we really, really like.

I didn't by any means start out thinking we would be buying Honda or a CRV but as time passed and we looked and followed all the discussion boards, Honda and CRV kept coming up favorably.

We are both very happy with our decision to go for the CRV and to have it now (3-5" of snow forecast here tonight and I think it's gonna arrive on schedule).

I appreciate your comments and especially the pictures.

Happy New Year!!!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
We bought ours in mid Nov and I couldn't be happier. Wish I could put the Honda GPS in my MH, it is great. Been a long time since I got this excited about a vehicle.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #42

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a question...

In reading all the reports, I keep seeing AWD, not 2WD.

Here is my problem, I can tow flat down, but I also have a trailer that can carry the golf cart and the tow vehicle on a dolly. What problems will this present with a AWD? Is the two wheel drive, front wheel drive? If so I don't think I will have a problem.

Your thoughts?
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad