Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, all. I just finished wiring our 2005 Saturn Vue and have run into a minor problem.

All the lights work fine and just as expected...until I try to put the flashers on with the running lights on. Then, the running lights start to blink opposite of the flashers. The differential of the "flash" isn't that great. Based on my experience with boat trailers, this is a ground problem. Or more precisely, a lack of ground between the towing vehicle and "trailer".

I've got a really solid ground point on the Vue where I tied in the harness from the MH. I used #12 wire from the connection point back to the taillights on the Vue. I suspect that the new coiled connection wire that I bought from RV Upgrades is #14 on the ground lead and that that is just not enough of a solid ground back to the MH frame to run all of those lights at once. BTW, one of the reasons that I went to the 6 lead coiled connection cable is because I split the brake and turn signals coming from the MH. That is the way that the Vue taillights were set up and I thought I'd take advantage of it.

When I've had this problem with boat trailers in the past, I ran a special, heavy wire between the towing vehicle and the boat trailer for the ground. That seemed to clear things up. I'd like to avoid having to do that here.

Does anyone have any different thoughts?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After I posted this thread yesterday, I got to thinking about what problem I'm really trying to solve. I believe it to be the size of the ground path back to the MH. Grounding to the Vue's chassis, even though I'm sure that it is good and solid, doesn't help with that. I started to wonder what might happen if I tried to ground on the baseplate, too. That might give me a ground path back via the tow bar.

We are in the middle of an ice storm and it will last a couple of days. Afterwards, I might slip out and measure the resistance from the baseplate back to the MH with only the tow bar connected, not the light wire. If that measures out with low resistance, I can try splitting the toad harness ground wire and making a connection to the the baseplate.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
KIX

Try a jumper cable to prove or disprove your theory. The cable should be a heavy enough gauge.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Sounds like a classic grounding problem. KIX's advice is good. Try a jumper ground wire to see if this solves your problem.

Always look for the simplest things first. You might have a bad bulb which is shorting between running lights and turn signals as well. Check your bulbs while not connected to the MH. May be a wild goose chase, but....
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote