Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad Light Problems

I am having problems with my toad lights. I have tail lights but I don't have turn signals or brake lights. I ran over a 5 gallon plastic bucket and cut my cord (not all the way through) from my motorhome to my toad. I have repaired the my cord, It blew the fuses for my coach's lights. I replaced the fuses and all the lights work on my coach. I have checked the hitch and all is good there. I plug in the cord and have RH turn signal at the end of the cord but my tail light turn signal still isn't working. I'm not getting the LH signal at the end of the cord. Any thoughts?? Could my ground be bad on my toad lights. BTW the toad lights are a separate system. Worst case I can rewire the toad

The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have checked the plug at the tail of the MH and all is good there, check the continuity of the wires not working (turn signals/brakes). Could be another broken wire internal to the insulation. So you would not be able to see the break like the one you fixed...........hope that helps..........ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
paz

Running over the 5 gal. bucket may not only have cut the wire, the strain may have pulled a wire out from inside the plug on either end of the wire. On our cable, the wires are fastened into the metal socket by a little set screw. The plugs should come apart so you can check the wires inside.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Also check the male pins of the plug. They may have crimped together interfering with the contact. Naturally check the continuity of the repair.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I appreciate the responses, it looks as though it is in the wiring to my 7 pin tow connector on the MH. I was troubleshooting it and was checking the connector on the MH but ran out of time. When I went to check on my lights I didn't have any tail lights on the MH. I found a fuse popped, it was the LH tail light fuse only even though neither tail light would work. Once I replaced the fuse the tail lights were fine on the MH. Have tail lights on the toad but still don't have turn signals or brake lights at the toad. Must be the wiring going to the hitch but still need to further troubleshoot.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad