Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
I had my toad lights wired on my 2000 Honda Odyssey when the Blue Ox base plate was installed in Virginia in August 2004. I am assuming a Blue Ox toad wiring kit was used. Recently we noticed the right brake light was not working on the Honda (when not hooked up to the MH). All lights worked normally when connected to the MH. After some trouble-shooting I have found that there is a diode block installed behind each rear light housing. The diode blocks were simply spliced into the existing wiring. It appears that everything is working correctly except for no power flowing through the right-side diode block for the brake light. That light DOES work as taillight ...different wire.) I removed the block from the circuit on that light only, and the brake light works when the brake pedal is depressed.

The motorhome has separate brake and turn signals, and so does the Honda. HOWEVER, the Honda was wired so that the motorhome turn signal uses the same bulb for turn signal on the Honda as it does for brake light.

I have not hooked the Honda to the motorhome to see what it will do since I removed the diode block from that circuit, but based on the markings on the diode block, I suspect I will have no right side turn signal OR brake light on the toad from the exhaust brake. BUT, when I press the brake pedal and trigger the Brakemaster toad brake, I will have all brake lights on the toad.

I plan to call the installing location to explore possible problems with them, but cannot reach them until Monday.

In the meantime, do the diode blocks fail? If I need a new one, would pretty much any one work or will it have to be "matched" to the other(s) in the vehicle? Do I need to get a part number for the diode and find a Blue Ox dealer?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I had my toad lights wired on my 2000 Honda Odyssey when the Blue Ox base plate was installed in Virginia in August 2004. I am assuming a Blue Ox toad wiring kit was used. Recently we noticed the right brake light was not working on the Honda (when not hooked up to the MH). All lights worked normally when connected to the MH. After some trouble-shooting I have found that there is a diode block installed behind each rear light housing. The diode blocks were simply spliced into the existing wiring. It appears that everything is working correctly except for no power flowing through the right-side diode block for the brake light. That light DOES work as taillight ...different wire.) I removed the block from the circuit on that light only, and the brake light works when the brake pedal is depressed.

The motorhome has separate brake and turn signals, and so does the Honda. HOWEVER, the Honda was wired so that the motorhome turn signal uses the same bulb for turn signal on the Honda as it does for brake light.

I have not hooked the Honda to the motorhome to see what it will do since I removed the diode block from that circuit, but based on the markings on the diode block, I suspect I will have no right side turn signal OR brake light on the toad from the exhaust brake. BUT, when I press the brake pedal and trigger the Brakemaster toad brake, I will have all brake lights on the toad.

I plan to call the installing location to explore possible problems with them, but cannot reach them until Monday.

In the meantime, do the diode blocks fail? If I need a new one, would pretty much any one work or will it have to be "matched" to the other(s) in the vehicle? Do I need to get a part number for the diode and find a Blue Ox dealer?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Paul,

It is probably a bad diode block.

Here is the link for the Blue Ox light kit with part numbers:

http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BX8811.PDF

They also have a replacement diode for the kit:

BX8863
9 Terminal Diode Block Pack – 4 Amp
Replacement diode for BX8811 wiring kit, contains six 4-amp diodes, self-tapping screws eliminate wire stripping, and molded and sealed to keep moisture out.

Good luck,
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I found that diode block on their website, but that isn't what is in my setup. I have two diode blocks, one at each taillight fixture. They are totally sealed plastic boxes with wires out two sides. One side is marked "in" and one side is marked "out", and wires are marked tail, turn, etc.

To add to the confusion, the paperwork I have from the original installation shows the base plate installation, and on the bottom of that sheet shows how to install a third bulb in my Odyssey taillights! ...but no third bulb was installed.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
paz

You should be able to replace the diode with one of a different make as long as it is rated to carry the amperage of the load. I always use the Roadmaster diodes available from Camping World and many RV dealers because they seem to be easier to use than the bigger diode blocks that Blue Ox sells. The Roadamaster diodes are rated for 85 amps and have aluminum housings for better heat dissipation.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I talked to the installer and he agrees the diode block is likely bad, and tells me the diode block should be available anywhere that sells Reese or Drawtight hitches. I stopped by a local dealer this morning on the way back from the dentist, and all I found was a single Roadmaster diode with 1 out terminal and 2 in terminals. I thought maybe I could just use a diode like that on the right turn/brake lead, but the markings between the two different diodes are confusing. On the diode block I have, "In" is the side where power leads from the car go. "Out" goes to the car bulbs and RV. But on the Roadmaster diode, "In" has two terminals and "Out" has only one. To use the Roadmaster diode, I would be connecting the car power to "Out" and car bulb and RV to "In," which is opposite how the existing block is connected. Does anyone have any clue if it makes any difference which way it is connected??
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remco diodes have two IN terminals, one in from the harness from the MH wiring, one IN for the wires in the car going to the taillights, and the One OUT going to the vehicles light/lights.
Blue Ox should be the same way also.
It would make a difference as diodes are one way "valves" The idea is to stop electricity from back feeding from the motorhome to the car or the car to the motorhome and insure it just goes to the lights.
You have two labeled OUT terminals on the diode?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 AM   #8

Paul, using the diode block you describe with 2-in's and 1-out, do the following:

Attach the line TO the tail light to the OUT, and attach the motorhome wiring to one of the IN connections, and the car wiring to the other IN connection. Doesn't matter which IN you use, but the wire to the tail light needs to be connected to the OUT.

Hope this helps.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
The diode block apparently is not Blue Ox, but some generic brand the Blue Ox installer used. The block has 2 wires on one side, and 4 on the other. The 2-wire side is marked "IN" and the 4 wire side is marked "OUT." The 2 in wires are marked tail & turn signal. The outside wires on the out side are marked tail & turn signal, and the inside wires are both marked RV. (one I presume for RV tail and one for RV turn/brake.)

Whatever, this morning I bought one Roadmaster diode (all the dealer had on hand) with the intention to use it for the turn/brake connection. That should cure my problem for now, and later I can maybe replace both diode blocks (one on each side) with the individual Roadmaster diodes.