Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Toad Lighting at Night

Newbie here. Have a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar set up. Have only towed the car during daylight so far. Do I need to turn on the lights on the toad when towing at night or will the toad lights turn on if I turn on the motorhome lights? How does this work? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #2

If properly wired, the "maker lights" on the coach will also power up the corresponding lights on the toad. We always do a complete check on the lights when hooking up the toad before leaving: turn signals, 4-way flashers, brakes, and marker lights should all work on the toad when activated from the coach.

jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

Easiest way to find out , is to turn on the lights on the coach with the toad hooked up ( park , signal and brake lights ) and do a walk around .

JMHO: This should be done every time you hook up the wiring, to the toad.

EDIT: and I see Jim posted the same info while I was typing. Boy I type slow.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the information gentlemen! Makes perfect sense and I will make sure i add it to our checklists.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Demco might make a specific wiring harness for your toad, depending on the model.
That is what I used and it works great.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You don't need all of your lights to come on when towing. It's just like a trailer, you just need the rear of the car to be visible. As an example, it would be cool for the front running lights to come on, but not necessary.

You need rear brake lights, rear turn signals and I'm guessing in some states, the license plate light should illuminate, but I would doubt that you would be stopped for that.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You don't need all of your lights to come on when towing. It's just like a trailer, you just need the rear of the car to be visible. As an example, it would be cool for the front running lights to come on, but not necessary.

You need rear brake lights, rear turn signals and I'm guessing in some states, the license plate light should illuminate, but I would doubt that you would be stopped for that.
All states require a license plate light but you are unlikely to be stopped. ... but it is required.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, here in WA they can't stop you for a license plate violation but it could be secondary to what ever else they see. We have lots or out of state licenses with no year sticker on them and the LEO's can't do anything about it!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Last year, while traveling a stretch of rural highway late one evening - I pulled off the road and stopped in the parking lot of a closed business to make a quick pit stop. While stopped, I did my usual "walk around" the coach. The coach was running and all the exterior coach lights were on. It was a heavily overcast night and we were very much out in the sticks - so it was pretty dark and there was little ambient light other than that emanating from the rig lights themselves. The back end of the coach was well lit - as was the back of our toad (a black 2012 Jeep Liberty). However, when looking at the rig from the side - there was zero light visible from the side for the length of the 20 or so feet stretch occupied by the jeep and tow bar.

I could easily envision another driver coming out of a driveway or side street not realizing that the Jeep was back there because there's nothing really visible from the side. Without the Jeep headlights and just the running lights on the rear of the Jeep on - it's damn hard to see from the side if you're out in real darkness (no moon, no ambient lighting, etc.)
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
All states require a license plate light but you are unlikely to be stopped. ... but it is required.
Yeah that may be true, however I don't think I've ever seen one wired and or be lit on a Toad before.
I know mine isn't.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Last year, while traveling a stretch of rural highway late one evening - I pulled off the road and stopped in the parking lot of a closed business to make a quick pit stop. While stopped, I did my usual "walk around" the coach. The coach was running and all the exterior coach lights were on. It was a heavily overcast night and we were very much out in the sticks - so it was pretty dark and there was little ambient light other than that emanating from the rig lights themselves. The back end of the coach was well lit - as was the back of our toad (a black 2012 Jeep Liberty). However, when looking at the rig from the side - there was zero light visible from the side for the length of the 20 or so feet stretch occupied by the jeep and tow bar.

I could easily envision another driver coming out of a driveway or side street not realizing that the Jeep was back there because there's nothing really visible from the side. Without the Jeep headlights and just the running lights on the rear of the Jeep on - it's damn hard to see from the side if you're out in real darkness (no moon, no ambient lighting, etc.)
Yes this is true and I have thought about this same thing but just haven't had enough time in the day to wire up a set of clearance(yellow) lights to come on with the Tow setup near the front A pillars of the Toad yet.
Actually I want them to powered off the MH and connected to the turn signals also. This way when you put on the turn signals someone traveling in that area can see your intensions much earlier.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Yes this is true and I have thought about this same thing but just haven't had enough time in the day to wire up a set of clearance(yellow) lights to come on with the Tow setup near the front A pillars of the Toad yet.
Actually I want them to powered off the MH and connected to the turn signals also. This way when you put on the turn signals someone traveling in that area can see your intensions much earlier.
That's a good idea. It's another thing on the "one of these days ..." list. For the time being though, I'm taking an easier approach - and just avoiding driving at night! That time of day I should either be asleep ... or at least have a glass of bourbon in my hand!!!

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, toad