Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Toad lock pins won't come out

When unhooking my blueox the pins are so tight I have been driving them out with a hammer and smaller dia. Pin. I see with the newer blueox set ups there is a release lever. My old falcon 5200 has buttons to do that but they are to tight to press in. Has anyone dealt with this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

The Falcon comes with a release lever to press the buttons. It's separate from the tow bar. That said, the pins on my Falcon are often difficult to remove if there's the slightest bind or tension in the system.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Mine won't come out either if the weight of the toad is pulling or pushing against the pins. Try releasing the load...
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
When unhooking my blueox the pins are so tight I have been driving them out with a hammer and smaller dia. Pin. I see with the newer blueox set ups there is a release lever. My old falcon 5200 has buttons to do that but they are to tight to press in. Has anyone dealt with this?
I keep a hammer and drift pin in the trunk. Unless I'm really level I have to drive them out, pain in the A$$$$$.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
just like with any hookup, pull up or back a bit to relieve pressure and don't hammer it, may deform pins and make it even harder

obviously you've tried some lubricant to clean up the pins and holes of any rust, etc ?
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

Same thing with mine. I usually release tow bar tension then move my car forward or back to release tensions they always come out without any problem.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I used to use the hammer until I realized a much simpler and safer process...turn on the ignition to the toad (to power up the steering) and then turn the steering wheel right or left. One way will make it looser and those pins will come right out. It's a torque issue.

Also--any incline or decline will torque the pins too so you need to be level.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Oh--and Tom is absolutely correct in releasing the arms of the tow bar itself. Anything that releases torque...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never have a problem getting the pins out with my Aventa II. Usually, one locking handle will be easy to release and one side will be hard. 1) put the toad in gear or set the parking brake, 2) release the lever that has the least binding and loop your safety cable or a bungee over it to hold it down, 3) release the other side and hold it down the same way, 4) start the toad and move it ahead a couple of inches, 5) pull the pins without hammering.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Just in case you didn't know, Blue Ox will inspect and recondition your tow bar for $35, or at rallies will do it for free. If the bar needs major parts they will charge extra for them. Or like for mine, the technician took mine apart, called me and came over to my campsite and showed me dangerously elongated holes he found in the bar and gave me an option of repairing my existing bar or $200 off the price of a new one.

Also Blue Ox has a nice campground with full hookups at their manufacturing facilities in Pender, Nebraska. This campground is free if you are getting any work done on any Blue Ox products. They also give factory tours.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
Droberts9747
I don't know about the Blue Ox tow bars but my Roadmaster Falcon "All-Terrain" towbar has "release levers".
Back when I had a Roadmaster "Falcon 2 5200" tow bar I smacked the "release buttons" with a rubber hammer if/when the bars/pins "bound up".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

Dont know about abating rust but dont think Blue Ox advocates lubricating the pins. Most lubs tend to collect dust and grit which adds to the normal wear factors....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Aventa LX and I just push the release arms and it solves the problem. If not start the toad and and use the engine to take the tension off. The pins will slide right out.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
99% of the time releasing the lock levers will allow me to pull the pins. Once in a blue moon I may have to move the Jeep an inch forward or back, depending on the incline I might be on. I've never had to resort to a hammer.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad