Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
mre

Toad Maintenance

While I am not new to RVing, I am new to Motorhoming. We should be getting our new motorhome and toad sometime in February.
I have a couple of questions about toad service.
One question I have is toad tire rotation. Normal tire rotations usually call for rotation somewhere between 6k-7.5k – basically when I have the oil changed. That is pretty much what I have done with all my vehicles over the years. My understanding is that tire rotation is done to keep relatively even tire wear on all tires. As I understand it, steering, drive wheels, turning, and weight on the tires wears them differently.
It would seem to me that if one is towing a toad, wear on all four wheels should be about the same since none of the wheels are propelling the vehicle, turning is reduced to a minimum, and maneuvering while towing is very different than driving it. Weight would be the only exception
Do towing miles wear tires less that driving miles on a toad? If so, can one decrease the tire rotation interval?

Fluid changed in drive train components. When towing a toad, it seem to me that the fluids are not “working” as hard and not heating up as much. Can this be factored in to fluid change intervals?
What do you guys do?
Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good questions. On all my low mileage/use per year stuff (jeep, old truck, Motorhome, generators, lawn tractor) I change oil annually in my birthday month. Tire rotations, if applicable, also annually.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

ed rzepka
I have always maintained my Saturn toads no differently than I would if they were not being towed.
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles, (117k towing)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I believe you are over-thinking the question. I doubt if towing miles are significantly different than driven miles, as far as tire wear is concerned. They still roll, and the front wheels still steer in the turns, and the brakes still get applied occasionally. Differences, if any, will be tiny.

Since you feel that tire rotation should be based on mileage, I see no reason to discount towing mileage in any way.

Personally, I do not rotate tires unless there is some unusual wear situation that causes some tires to wear different or faster than the others. I've had a few cars or trucks that needed it, but many more that did not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only think the Pre 2015 Honda CRVs require to be done different is this.

If you tow your vehicle behind a motorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

I think that suggests the transmission fluid is "working".

Of course, starting in 2015 you can no longer flat tow a CRV because of the new transmission.

Otherwise, we stick with the normal service schedule which calls for tire rotation with each oil change anyway.

Regarding tires:

We did find that we needed to replace the tires sooner. Miles on the tires from driving the car was about 48K and they had at least 20K when in tow. You could reasonably argue we had 68K on the tires when we replaced them a few months ago. If we weren't getting ready for putting on a big south east run for the winter we would have run the tires a little longer but we really didn't want to deal with new tires while traveling so we pulled the trigger a little early but not crazy so.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with normal maintenance with the exception of the transmission. The fluid is not being circulated through the cooler when being towed and can run a little warmer that when being driven. For that reason I recommend changing the transmission fluid more often than when just being driven. Oil changes are much more affordable than rebuilds. JMO
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I agree with normal maintenance with the exception of the transmission. The fluid is not being circulated through the cooler when being towed and can run a little warmer that when being driven. For that reason I recommend changing the transmission fluid more often than when just being driven. Oil changes are much more affordable than rebuilds. JMO

How many miles do you have on your Flex towing and not towing. When have you changed transmission fluid. We have only towed ours 6000 miles so far. Total miles on car 21,000.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
How many miles do you have on your Flex towing and not towing. When have you changed transmission fluid. We have only towed ours 6000 miles so far. Total miles on car 21,000.
Hi Dave, we have about 88k miles on our 09 Flex and of that we have towed it approx. 16,000. I have the trans. fluid and filter (screen) changed every year. Have done this for 2 years now. I use Amsoil synthetic trans. fluid and my mechanic says he thinks its a good idea as the fluid is starting to brown a little. Might be overkill, but that's how I roll.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
Hi Dave, we have about 88k miles on our 09 Flex and of that we have towed it approx. 16,000. I have the trans. fluid and filter (screen) changed every year. Have done this for 2 years now. I use Amsoil synthetic trans. fluid and my mechanic says he thinks its a good idea as the fluid is starting to brown a little. Might be overkill, but that's how I roll.
I am a firm believer in what some would call overkill since a transmission starts at something like $3000 beside the inconvenience.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
I am a firm believer in what some would call overkill since a transmission starts at something like $3000 beside the inconvenience.
Yep, the Oil companies make a killing off of me and my waste. But I also haven't ever purchased a transmission or an engine either. It's like that old Fram commercial when the mechanic pulls the drain plug and nothing comes out. He says, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later." I believe in paying now. Randy

Tags
maintenance, toad