Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Toad monitoring with audio and wireless camera.

I thought I would share what I have done with my 40 foot Tiffin QDP and the toad. I have a Verizon LTE Modem/Phone router located in the coach for my internet access. Now here is the good part. The LTE has a WPS key which allows you to pair the wireless Trendnet Camera I own, to the router and its password. Then I also pair the wireless Samsung tablet to the router. You connect these devices one time and they remember the codes forever. I downloaded the app for the Trendnet camera to the tablet and now I can monitor the toad with a camera and an audio feed from a microphone on the camera. The camera runs on 12 volts and I mounted the camera inside the toad. Now, I can see and hear what is going on inside the toad. I can also rotate the camera 360 degrees. All of this, and I do not use any data from Verizon because I have basically installed a local area network. The LAN does not use any data. Here is the link to the camera. I purchased the Samsung tablet from Walmart and the router from Verizon. By the way it cost only $10 more a month than my current plan and I get to share the data on the router. This device takes the place of the Verizon Jetpack. The camera works when I travel to areas that do not have Verizon reception because it is a LAN and the signal goes through the router not Verizon. If I have a flat tire or hear screeching because the steering wheel locked up, I know it immediately. Great peace of mind for a few bucks. Thought you would enjoy. If you have questions contact me on the web.

Here is a bonus I just thought about. You can also mount an additional camera on the roof of your MH to see if you have clearance above so you won't hit anything on the roof. Also you can keep an ear out for anyone messing with your toad at night.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0921161522 (1).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	140863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Novatel_home_phone_connect_4g_lte_novt1114v (1).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	140866  

billdreamlv is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
As an update. I was doing research as to the best brake management system to get for the toad and all of them talk about the need for a dash mounted light so you know when the brakes are on. Because I can have multiple wireless cameras hooked up to my Verizon router, I can see and hear the brake pedal actually operate and determine if the pressure on the brake is excessive. This technology is easy to set up. I am not selling anything, I just believe that cameras can be an integral part of the safety of the system just as your rear and side cameras are. The difficult part of wiring a camera to the toad has been overcome with this technology. I believe that in the future all RVers will have cameras in their toads to monitor the safety of their vehicles. Total cost for camera and Tablet: $180.00

Old 10-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Beautiful... thanks for sharing.

I haven't got that far yet, but I did put in a wireless brake system monitor made up of a $5 transmitter/receiver purchased from Ebay and a $6 led motorcycle light assembly that I mounted under the dash. Works like a charm.

I like your project and you may have inspired me to give it a go. Right now we're just using the smart phone hot spot for the Internet, but a LAN in the motor home vicinity should be useful for cameras and monitors.
2016 Leisure Travel Vans - Serenty
Toad - 2009 RAV4, 2WD with Remco Lube pump
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Thanks. If you are already on a data plan, this device is only $10 more a month and it allows you to do so much more than the hot spot. The initial cost was about $90 with a 2 year contract. But now I can hook anything wireless including and alarm system. There are also wireless temp monitors that can be viewed by your smart phone. This is my next project. I am very fearful of the AC going out while the dog is in the MH and I am unaware. With this WIFI I can use the Temp monitor to email me if there is a problem or a freeze. My guess is that high end MH builders are going to make the LAN a standard for the "Smart MotorHome".

toad, audio, camera