Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
PPWorld

I tow a 2002 Jeep Liberty. THe manual says nothing about an electronic steering wheel or leaving the key in the ACC setting but on my first 2 tows after hitting a couple of bumps the front wheels locked up. Knew immediately something was wrong as Jeep was tracking against DP. Got out and finally got steering wheel unlocked and tires righted and took off only to have it do it again after hitting those holes in the road. This time put tranny in N and it did okay for rest of trip.

Drive safe - Richard
Jeep must have changed the manual for later Liberties.
The manual for my 2004 requires the transfer case be in neutral, the transmission in Park and the ignition switch in the unlocked off position. The steering is free to turn then.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Jeep must have changed the manual for later Liberties.
The manual for my 2004 requires the transfer case be in neutral, the transmission in Park and the ignition switch in the unlocked off position. The steering is free to turn then.
LandKO,
Your manual is correct. No matter how the manuals are worded, as long as your transfer case is in NEUTRAL and, an automatic is in PARK, and, the steering wheel is UNLOCKED, (if it's the kind that lock), you're good to go. Now, on some, there's electronic steering to deal with so, whatever's needed to take care of that situation. I'm just kind-a glad we've got "older" toads. A '15 Jeep JKUR and an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. Both are as easy as it gets for prep for towing. No locking steering on either one and no electronics to deal with.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #17

I flat tow a 2017 F 150 supercab with a 6.5' bed behind my 32' MH. Unlike my wife's Mazda CX 5 SUV that I towed on a tow dolly, it doesn't track inside the MH , when making turns. It's like towing a trailer, and I have to allow for it when turning. I just attribute it to the length of the truck.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #18

I guess the term "Tracking" means something a bit different to me than maybe others. Tracking, to me, means more or less, following the coach, in a somewhat logical STRAIGHT manor, as the coach is proceeding straight. CORNERING, to me, is a different animal. To me, unless you're actually driving a TRAIN, on a set of tracks, any toads gonna take the inside of a turn, it's a given. ALL TRAILERS CHEAT to some extent. When one says the toad is not following the coach in turns, to me, that's 100% natural.

It's not on rails, like a train, that HAS TO FOLLOW the car in front of it. Now, just how much a toad "cuts the corner" or "cheats" may be different for each toad, coach, tow bar, base plate install and maybe a couple of other variables.

Anyway, both of our toads, a '15 Jeep JKUR and an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 both "Track" straight behind the coach, when going straight. But, in turns, I expect them to take a different line in the turn but, not that much different. They're both narrower than the coach so, I don't think either one can cheat to the point they're actually running INSIDE the tire print of the outside rear dual, in a turn. Just my thoughts.
Scott
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
PPWorld

I tow a 2002 Jeep Liberty. THe manual says nothing about an electronic steering wheel or leaving the key in the ACC setting but on my first 2 tows after hitting a couple of bumps the front wheels locked up. Knew immediately something was wrong as Jeep was tracking against DP. Got out and finally got steering wheel unlocked and tires righted and took off only to have it do it again after hitting those holes in the road. This time put tranny in N and it did okay for rest of trip.
My dealer told me they recommend leaving the key in and starting it every couple hundred miles. I told him I didn't always stop that often and didn't want to run the battery down. He then shared his trick with his big Suburban - He said he hooks it up, locks 4 WD in neutral and leaves his engine idling as he drives from Northern IL to FL with no problems.
I was a little skeptical but tried it out on 200 mile drive over a couple of really bumpy spots and worked like a charm and only a couple of gals of gas.

Might try it and drive a couple of miles to check out your tracking.

Drive safe - Richard
Hilarious - once again, a dealer proves their worth! Leave the toad running for over 1,000 miles - LOL
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #20
RV LIFE Support Team

The OP has never come back!!!!

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a quick reply to LandKO's first post about his/her Falcon All-Terrain tow bar. I am a big fan of Roadmaster, Inc. tow bars. If your bar does not lock properly they are an easy rebuild and not very expensive to buy the parts. Roadmaster is great when it comes to customer service, even if you are not the original owner.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
This is a quick reply to LandKO's first post about his/her Falcon All-Terrain tow bar. I am a big fan of Roadmaster, Inc. tow bars. If your bar does not lock properly they are an easy rebuild and not very expensive to buy the parts. Roadmaster is great when it comes to customer service, even if you are not the original owner.
Thanks for the advice.
I did, in fact, install some new parts on my towbar. Roadmaster does have parts available and replacing worn parts is fairly simple. They also sent me a pdf manual for my specific towbar which was really helpful.
In my case, Getting the towbar to lock was not really an issue once I learned how to use it (initial operator error).
But getting the arm to unlock for stowing was another thing. I discovered that the unlock lever cam was worn and wouldn’t allow the latch on one side to release. Replaced both levers and it works great now.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
That happens quite often on here.
Scott
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #24
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The closest you will get to no off-track with a trailer is a stinger-steered pole trailer when it is set correctly.

This guy explains it far better than I can.
Stinger steering
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Don't expect him to either. He has 7 total posts. He started 7 threads and never replied to any of them.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad