Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Would suggest you investigate the Jeep Grand Cherokee VERY thoroughly before buying. I've got a Cherokee - not the Grand - and am having substantial problems with it. I don't considered it to be a tow vehicle and am trying to get it bought back by Chrysler.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker048 View Post
Would suggest you investigate the Jeep Grand Cherokee VERY thoroughly before buying. I've got a Cherokee - not the Grand - and am having substantial problems with it. I don't considered it to be a tow vehicle and am trying to get it bought back by Chrysler.
A year old thread? Really?

The only thing the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee have in common is (part of) the name. The Grand Cherokee is a very popular toad.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
So you tow a Grand Cherokee? Please tell me a little about it - like the year, any problems, curb weight, etc. Also what do you pull it with - Model and hp. As I said in my new post I am looking at a 4000# to 4700# tow vehicle pulled by a 2006 Winnebago Journey with a 300hp Cummins. I don't know it that is enough hp?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #18

I towed a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4wd, with a 2014 f-450 6.8l v10 through the Colorado Rockies. I now pull it with a 2016 Renegade Verona with a Cummins ISL 8.9L, 350HP 1000 ft. lbs torque. The Jeep weighs 5070# with a full gas tank. It's not the horsepower as much as the torque needed. It pulls nicely and is very easy to setup. I've had no issues pulling it. We cruise between 65 and 70. The 15 Grand Cherokee has a simple transfer case and standard parking brake, which won't give you the possible issues a Cherokee does.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
So you tow a Grand Cherokee? Please tell me a little about it - like the year, any problems, curb weight, etc. Also what do you pull it with - Model and hp. As I said in my new post I am looking at a 4000# to 4700# tow vehicle pulled by a 2006 Winnebago Journey with a 300hp Cummins. I don't know it that is enough hp?
Read my signature line.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
TG Dameron: I assume your 2014 f450 6.8L V10 pulled your Grand Cherokee nicely?Your 8.9L engine delivers about 50% more torque than my 5.5L - as best as I can figure. My torque is 620LB-FT compared to (I think) yours at 950-1120LB-FT. So I'm still in doubt if I could reasonably tow the 5000# Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ford V-10 gas does'nt put out anywhere near those torque numbers !
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
TG Dameron: I assume your 2014 f450 6.8L V10 pulled your Grand Cherokee nicely?Your 8.9L engine delivers about 50% more torque than my 5.5L - as best as I can figure. My torque is 620LB-FT compared to (I think) yours at 950-1120LB-FT. So I'm still in doubt if I could reasonably tow the 5000# Grand Cherokee.
6.8L Triton® V10 Gasoline 305 HP / 420 Lbs.-Ft. Torque

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was he texting or yacking.. Both are dangerous, Thousands of hours of TV commercials and such advising us those actions are dangerous.. Road signs advertising the dangers.

Ask a good dog bite attorney if you can charge him with "Reckless Endangerment" and once you get the settlement.. Buy the towed of your choce. caus Sir,, You should be able to afford it. He could have KILLED you after all.. (They often do).

Side note.. Though not so much nere in S.E. Ga, as in other parts of the country but I have both cell phone and 2-way radio in the car.. The cell is mostly ignored.. Oh, I can answer it but the conservation is short (Sorry busy, driving will call you back, later (or Don't call again). Text messages are saved for a wide spot in the road (Shoulder, parking lot) as are E-mails, And then only if I have the time or am expecting an important one.

But I do talk on the radios.. But I've noticed something... My mental state when using the radios is 100% different from when I'm using the phone.

Applies to computers too.. I was sitting at work in front of a teletype terminal (looks a lot like a computer... IS in fact Teletype Model 43) and was chatting with a fellow ham at another branch office.

I noticed even my posture was different than what it was if chatting via teletype with a NON ham.. It was the posture encouraged by the chair at my Model 15 and Klienschmidt TT4/C at home Not the "Work" posture (Better chair). Likewise the attitude was different.

(Chatting = Official communications by the way, Confirming data stored in the computer files by having the other operator check the paper files, that kind of thing).

Tags
toad, tow