Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Jeep Liberty 4 wheels down with a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Half the time I don't even know it's back there. I've even been known to go around a corner, look back in the mirror and wonder who the heck is that moron with the red Jeep is that's right on my butt.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #16

We love our 2008 Jeep Liberty 4 X 4. We have a Blue Ox Tow bar and Roadmaster Even Brake. Without the camera I would not know it was there. The camera really is important. I noticed the Jeep was following closer than it should on a recent trip. Fortunately I was able to keep slowing down and stop on the shoulder. I failed to put in one of the pins. One of the tow bars became disconnected and allowed the Jeep to push up against the rear of the the coach. The set up prevented any damage to either vehicle. A spare pin and a prayer of thanks was all that was needed to allow us to go on down the road.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
ditto on the Liberty and setup. Works great. I also use the Patriot braking system.
tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tow an 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited using Blue Ox base plate, and Readybrute Elite towbar (with integrated surge brake). Works like a dream and was the most cost effective and simple setup I could find. Did all the installation myself.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #19

Just wanted to say "THANKS" to all of you folks that took the time to give me some pointers on the toads---I have learned a bunch!!!

Thank you
iquailhunter
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #20

Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. 92 mpg...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #21

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster sterling towbar, M&G brake system. Very happy with the set up. Have towed over 30k mile without a problem.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a clean '08 CRV that comes with the Blue Ox aluminum tow bar and the plates are installed.

Interested?
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #23

Currently tow a Chev Tracker Z02 which is a GM version of the Suzuki. We use a Sterling tow bar which stays with the coach and the brakets mount on the Tracker. It has a transfer case so its just put the tranny in neutral, slip the transfer case into neutral put it in park and drive away.

I bought a new Silverado 1500 which we will tow in the future. There is a procedure for putting it in a towable mode, but it is in the op manual and towing is ok with GM. I need to buy a brake system for it. I do not want to use one that presses the brake pedal, we have airbrakes on the coach and I want to tap into them.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I bought a new Silverado 1500 which we will tow in the future. There is a procedure for putting it in a towable mode, but it is in the op manual and towing is ok with GM. I need to buy a brake system for it. I do not want to use one that presses the brake pedal, we have airbrakes on the coach and I want to tap into them.
If you're looking for an air-operated proportional brake system, I recommend the SMI Air Force One.

joe
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda Fit on a Blue Ox towbar with Brakebuddy. Had to install an 8 inch drop hitch to get the towbar level, so system is now rated at 6000 pounds, but the Fit only weighs 2650 so still plenty of capacity. One accessory I would absolutely recommend is the wireless remote for the Brakebuddy. It gives positive confirmation the the brake unit is working, and allows me to adjust pressure and sensitivity from up front.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog
I have a clean '08 CRV that comes with the Blue Ox aluminum tow bar and the plates are installed.

Interested?
Do you still have it? How many miles and how much? I am currently dallying Toyota Solara but cannot tow 4 down
Dlhenry51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2011 Honda CR-V SMI Stay-N-Play duo braking system awesome toad
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We are towing our 2nd Smart Car. We towed our 08 and now have traded for a 2012. Use Blue Ox Baseplate and towbar. You do not even know it is behind you and has lots of room for 2 people and goodies. Now if I could get the 45 mpg that we get with it to somehow transfer to the MH atleast in part.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad