Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Toad of choice ???

Would be interested to hear what all of y'all have to say about your favorite towing set up. Both vehicle and towing bar/assembly (I am new to this and do not know the correct terminology). We might be in the mountains in some snow at some point so I think I want a small 4wd pickup or suv, but really need to hear some thoughts from you folks.

Thanks for your help.
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I currently tow a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ using a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and base plate. I have recently made a decision to go to a Chevrolet Colorado 4WD crew cab and it is on order now. I decided that it was time for a new tow vehicle and I wanted something a little more comfortable now due to age and physical problems. With the Colorado you have to be sure to get the one that allows the transfer case to be placed in neutral.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I towed a chevy mailbu for 11 years and since last July have been towing a 2011 Jeep Liberty. I like the Liberty better because of the higher clearence. Several of my friends tow Dodge Decoda (sp) pickups and are very happy with them. What ever you chose, I recommend towing four wheels down. We all use Blue Ox tow bars and baseplates.
tbussche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Towed a Jeep Wrangler for 8 years, now have a Chevy HHR... 2 WD
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toad is a 2012 Chevy Equinox, automatic, front wheel drive but you can also tow the all wheel drive. Use a Blue Ox tow bar and are very happy with this setup. Equinox is very roomy and we have the 4 cyl. which gives very good milage.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #6

Whatever you decide on, you should seriously consider a TPMS for the RV and toad. Auxilary braking should also be on your list since you are doing some mountains as well. I currently have a 06 Saturn 5 spd manual with Blue OX tow bar and base plates. Easy hookup but wish I had a higher clearance and 4wd type toad.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I towed a Saturn Vue (hence s/n) for a few trouble-free years. However, I need 1 vehicle to be towed AND to tow a trailer. I went with a 4wd GMC Envoy. It's heavy @ 4600 lbs, but drives great & will tow a 6000lb trailer.

Blue OX & Brake Buddy Vantage, so far so good!
Rear Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Wrangler TJ, Roadmaster Falcon 2, and BrakeBuddy Vantage. Love Jeep but it's noisy
on road. We fold top back whenever we can Hardly know its there.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I currently tow a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ using a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and base plate. I have recently made a decision to go to a Chevrolet Colorado 4WD crew cab and it is on order now. I decided that it was time for a new tow vehicle and I wanted something a little more comfortable now due to age and physical problems. With the Colorado you have to be sure to get the one that allows the transfer case to be placed in neutral.
We also had a jeep and the same Blue ox tow equipment. We wanted mote room in our towed, so we purchased the Colorado 4x4, with auto transmission, love it no problems towing it, just plug and play. Very simple.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
You might get as many opinions here as there are cars. But if you want another, here's mine. I hear, but don't have a Honda CRV. Friends of mine tow one, the AWD model and they really like it. Lots folks tow them. Also lot's of people tow Saturn's. The Vue is real popular, but they don't make them anymore. We are going to tow our 94 Honda Accord because it's a manual and we still use it. I would love to sell it and get a CRV. (my dream)
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

We currently tow a Saturn Vue 4 down using a Reese Tow Bar and Brake Buddy auxillary brake system. We have used this arrangement for many years towing 3 Saturns and one Malibu one 3 different DPs. We have had no problems and are very happy with this arrangement.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Saturn Ion

Pull a 2005 Saturn Ion 4 down,Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar,Brake Buddy. Happy with everything and don't want to drive in the snow when camping,have to do that all winter long.Safe travels and happy camping. Jim
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

We recently purchased the 2012 Chevy Equinox v-6 and absolutely love the car. Blue Ox tow bar.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We pull an 04 Saturn Vue 4 down, with a Blue Ox tow system and a Brake Buddy. Pulls easy, only time I know its there is when I look at the rear monitor. I don't drive in the snow either, thats something else I prefer to see on the monitor.....a long way behind me
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad