Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Toad On Dolly Wiring Question

I am looking at either a Entegra Odyssey or Jayco Greyhawk. We will most likely be bringing our Toyota Highlander along for the ride using a Dolly. To keep hooking up easy as can be . Is there a electrical adapter that would allow the coach to be connected to the brake, tail, turn signals to my Highlander? Not thrilled about the magnetic stick on lights.

Would I be better off getting a short open car hauler that I would just drive the Highlander on to? I know that either the Odyssey or Grehawk could handle it with their true 7,500 lb tow rating.

We originally had considered a TT and newer P/U but having to mess with the hooking/unhooking, leveling, weight dist hitch, anti sway bars would all be too much. I'm a stroke survivor, had two holes in my heart repaired, knee replacement with extensions, ankle reconstruction, stenosis, scoliosis, two ruptured, one herniated disc...........other than that.........I'm okay.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

It would not be simple to hook into today's car lighting system with their solid state controllers for delayed lights and other functions. The magnetic lights are simple, quick, and work well so I wonder what your problem is with them.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

I just use the dolly lights.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Toad On Dolly Wiring Question

I rarely drive at night. I also don’t use car lights .. never have. Everything I know is it’s legal to just use the dolly lights. ( your the ret Leo .. right ? ) my bro in law also a ret Leo I’m sitting here with said dolly tows were legal with just the dolly lights They stick out far enough to be seen . When I did dolly tow a lot a few years ago I never had any issues.

If I was just concerned I’d tie into the dolly wires and use the magnetic ones or better yet the wireless model with a double plug adapter on the MH .
The whole purpose of the dolly to me is to use the car I want without modification to the car (KISS ) [emoji106]

Btw is the Highlander towable on a dolly ? I didn’t think it was
Old 10-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

I think a Highlander would be heavy for a Greyhawk. Although it might be listed as ok for 7,500#, I think it would be a lot. I use an American Dolly with the lights it came with, no additional lamps, no problem.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I rarely drive at night. I also don’t use car lights .. never have. Everything I know is it’s legal to just use the dolly lights. ( your the ret Leo .. right ? ) my bro in law also a ret Leo I’m sitting here with said dolly tows were legal with just the dolly lights They stick out far enough to be seen . When I did dolly tow a lot a few years ago I never had any issues.

If I was just concerned I’d tie into the dolly wires and use the magnetic ones or better yet the wireless model with a double plug adapter on the MH .
The whole purpose of the dolly to me is to use the car I want without modification to the car (KISS ) [emoji106]

Btw is the Highlander towable on a dolly ? I didn’t think it was
Hi Thanks for the response. The Base Highlander front wheel drive only is good to go on a dolly. All wheel drive isn't.
https://www.toyotaoflancasterav.com/...wing-guide.htm

As far as lights there is confusion on this but after checking if the towed vehicle sticks out past the lights on the Dolly by six feet lights are needed on the rear of the towed vehicle. I really don't think most LEO's would worry about it, even if they knew it. It would be most noticed if someone rear ended your toad. Probably a cranky DOT Officer might notice but I doubt they would write anyone up for it but might give a warning. As long as it's not involved in a accident.
I don't like the magnetic as most require batteries in the lights. I have read the reviews from buyers and it seems to be a common problem with them falling off.
I found these on Etrailer which looks interesting.
Thanks to all for the responses
https://www.etrailer.com/p-EZT20B.html
Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #7

No problem, it's a light weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
I think a Highlander would be heavy for a Greyhawk. Although it might be listed as ok for 7,500#, I think it would be a lot. I use an American Dolly with the lights it came with, no additional lamps, no problem.
Thanks for the response.
My base Highlander 4 cyl. weighs in at 3550 lbs. Lighter than I thought also. Even if I put it on a open car hauler at 2,000 lbs I would be around 5,500 lbs. I would be less than tow capacity by more than 20% which I think is a good safety margin. Tongue weight I don't know though.........another issue if I went with the car hauler.
I really am leaning towards a dolly.
Thanks for the response
Old 11-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I wired my toads for dolly towing, I installed a flat four under the hood. Its the same flat four that I would install in the rear of the car to use for trailer lights.

I wired the flat four to the front running lights and turn signals of the toad. The connector kind of was under the hood, out of the way.

I then made a "Y" cord for plugging in the dolly and toad into the MH. It has two flat fours, one for that the dolly plugs into and the other the toad plugs into. The other end of the Y then plugs into the MH.

I like having lights on the toad. I got startled a few years ago. It was night. A MH had just passed me and I was going to pull in behind him to pass a slow mover that I was overtaking quickly. Just as I was ready to swing in behind him, something caught my attention. It was a car with no lights on. It was a toad and he only had dolly lights.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I just use the dolly lights.
As do I. We seldom drive at night, but I've followed small cars on dollys at night, and they show up pretty well.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ret.Leo, after rereading your 3rd paragraph about disregarding a truck/TT, I think you will find a dolly to be just as difficult or more to manage. Latching down the auto often requires all types of squatting and contortions to strap it to the dolly. In many campgrounds you must disconnect the dolly from the RV and manually push it (500 pounds +) around. I've done both and found towing 4-down to be the easiest method for hooking up and breaking down. BTW, you can't back up (very far) with a car on a dolly, nor 4 down.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #11

I've never seen add on magnetic lights that had batteries in them. I can see why someone would do that light the cordless tow lights that tow trucks add to a vehicle. I just have not seen them. What I mostly see are the Harbor Freight magnet mounts that run off the lighting circuit provided by the tow vehicle.

I run the wiring inside the car and out the top of the rear hatch. That leaves less than a foot of wire outside to each light. If the magnet released for some reason I would just get a dangling light to put back. I have never had one come loose. You do need to make sure the magnet is clean before putting it down on the painted surface.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
When I wired my toads for dolly towing, I installed a flat four under the hood. Its the same flat four that I would install in the rear of the car to use for trailer lights.

I wired the flat four to the front running lights and turn signals of the toad. The connector kind of was under the hood, out of the way.

I then made a "Y" cord for plugging in the dolly and toad into the MH. It has two flat fours, one for that the dolly plugs into and the other the toad plugs into. The other end of the Y then plugs into the MH.

I like having lights on the toad. I got startled a few years ago. It was night. A MH had just passed me and I was going to pull in behind him to pass a slow mover that I was overtaking quickly. Just as I was ready to swing in behind him, something caught my attention. It was a car with no lights on. It was a toad and he only had dolly lights.
Thanks Waiter21
Great explanation! Exactly what I was hoping for. I understand and really like your method. My best friend is a long time mechanic and auto electrician. Now I know how to give him a way to do it as he is not a RV type guy.
Love this Forum!
Thanks again all!
Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Ret.Leo, after rereading your 3rd paragraph about disregarding a truck/TT, I think you will find a dolly to be just as difficult or more to manage. Latching down the auto often requires all types of squatting and contortions to strap it to the dolly. In many campgrounds you must disconnect the dolly from the RV and manually push it (500 pounds +) around. I've done both and found towing 4-down to be the easiest method for hooking up and breaking down. BTW, you can't back up (very far) with a car on a dolly, nor 4 down.
Thanks Rockwood27
I understand what you are saying completely (appreciate the concern and understanding)
Unfortunately my Highlander can't be towed 4 down even being front wheel drive only. Sure wish it could. I do real good at getting down on the ground (the return trip up can be a bear at times) Even with my problems I still get around pretty good (use it or lose it) PLUS a great wife who is a good old farm girl. Great understanding how things work and not afraid to help me or try to at least.
To take care of moving the dolly I'm thinking either a tongue jack on the dolly with a wheel on the bottom to push it around OR using the hitch on the Highlander to pull / backup the dolly. My plan of attack is to take the Highlander off the dolly, unhook the dolly from the coach, move the coach out of the way, hitch the dolly to the Highlander. go put it out of the way. I know dolly's are "next to impossible" to back. I spent years working for my Dad who had a livestock feed business. We had a New Holland portable grinder/mixer that we loaned to farmers that I delivered. It had a very short wheel base also. After Dad passed I started trucking. Last twelve years before going to the Academy I was a City Delivery Driver. Residential, tight docks, tight alleys with anything from a 26ft to 48ft trailer. Never put a scratch on a trailer.
Backing a dolly with the Highlander doesn't scare me: open the rear hatch for a full view while backing. I know a lot of people are intimidated backing a trailer but it doesn't bother me in the least..........in fact I love it. The secret to backing a short wheel base is get set up on your approach, make short, small adjustments while backing, right and left corrections, patience.
We actually wouldn't probably be hooking/unhooking every day except to get groceries, sight seeing. Boondocking is our main interest.

Second choice would be a open car hauler which would lessen having to bend over so much. But I hate the thought of pulling a additional 2,000 lbs

Third choice would be going to a tt and a ride over to Indiana to have a Big Foot Auto Leveling system installed which would help cut down on the work involved to setting up camp.

A Class C is still our favorite choice though with all the homelike amenities a foot behind the driver and passenger seats.

Love this Forum!
You'all are the best!
Thank you!
Rick
Old 11-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
i built my own set of wired magnetic LED toad lights for my wife's VW CC since there is no way to tie into the can-bus control module driven factory LED lights that it has. we did a nice 2 week, 3,000 mile trip during the summer from san diego all the way up to yellowstone, west glacier, all thru idaho and nevada and i didn't even bother putting the lights on the car. too much hassle, the LED lights on the dolly were more than sufficient and never had an issue from a LEO. heck, had one give me a thumbs up in montana when he passed me on the 90
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, toad, wiring