Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
My pins always work to the outward side which would put them always working against the Clip/pin. I put pins in from the inside out which makes them harder to remove (knuckles like to hit licenses plate!). This puts the Clip/pin on the outside easier to see but I could drive all day without the Clip/pin and never know the difference!
Not that I'm going to try it!
I noticed that too. One time my wife left the R clip off, and the only thing that saved us was the pin was put in from that direction. Man was I ever thankful. We always double check each other’s work now😰 A mistake like that would certainly mess up a vacation.
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2008 View Post
Until your car catches fire and you can't get it unlocked fast enough to get it away from motorhome. We now do not lock but check Everytime we stop to make sure no tampering.
I use the locking pins from Blue Ox. If the car were to burn because I couldn't get it unlocked in time Progressive would have two claims to deal with and not just one.

But if someone was that worried that they would not be able to get loose before it burned wouldn't it make sense to unlock the draw bar and just have one pin to deal with. It is going to take more time to undo the safety chains, air line and wire harness than the two locking pin. The Blue Ox pins have round keys so they go in easily. My guess is that I could have the car free in less than a minute by just dumping everything on the ground if need be.

Now the real question. 1. Have more cars come loose from their tow bars, no matter what the reason, or 2. have more burned behind the motor home because they could not be freed up in time? I'm going with number 1 at about 1000 to 1 odds. Until this post I had never heard of one burning up but of plenty coming loose.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When using Linch pins on your hitch pins, make sure you install them correctly. see picture. Also make sure the loop on the Linch pin is on the opposite side from your safety cables, especially if you use the curly cue type of safety cables.

I used to lock the hitch pins, but I found them just too cumbersome to use especially in ice and snow conditions.

Lastly, I use the following hitch pin. It makes pulling the pin so much easier.
In part of my industrial sales career I sold industrial safety & ergonomic solutions. I came across a company that towed a lot of trailers & equipment, using your type of pin with the retainer clip. They lost several trailers because the retainer clip had become sprung & vibrated out of the pin. Consequently they 1) regularly inspected the retainer clips to make sure they fit snugly & 2) started using small chains on the pins to make sure that the pin remained oriented with the open end of the retainer clip pointing down so that if had become sprung, it couldn't vibrate out.
DNHOFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #46

Spartan Chassis
Toad passing

My blue ox came loose on drivers side, at the toad (pins) and did $6,200.00 of damage to the rear cap. Had to use the coach to stop F-150 as I had just started down a hill.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #47

Bought the Blue ox tow bar at the factory in Sept 2017. Going through San Antonio a month later (having travels 100 miles that day) one of the pins came out. Thought it was strange seeing my Jeep in my rear view mirror. Did little damage luckily. Have used locking pins every since.
dispr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #48

The other lesson learned: do a "pre-trip" inspection every time you get ready to hit the road. Get in a routine: Check fluids, Start engine, turn on all lights and 4 ways, get out and walk your vehicles, not just looking but feeling.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benalee View Post
My rear view mirror showed someone trying to overtake and pass me very closely. On third look it was my Toad. One side of Blue Ox tow bar had become disconnected, allowing the toad to swing from side to side at 65 mph. All other traffic did not dare to pass while this was happening. This was 2018 new Blue Ox setup. Credit to Blue Ox due to the remaining bar remaining under control. The circle clip on the attachment point to the Toad had left the premises, whether voluntarily or with someones help is undetermined. Lesson learned: I now Positively lock anything that may vibrate or bounce loose or be helped loose by another.
With all these stories of toads coming loose, just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like that with a dolly tow system.
DNHOFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNHOFFMAN View Post
With all these stories of toads coming loose, just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like that with a dolly tow system.
If the car slid off the dolly, it should come to a skidding stop. Its in park.

If it un-coupled, the breakaway, that should be used, should lock the dolly brakes.

If the tongue snapped, off it goes, down the road.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #51

Thanks for all the helpful replys to passing toad. Benalee
Benalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #52

I check tires and towbar at every gas or rest stop, and recheck the chains and clips before we drive away, but this discussion begs the question; whats with all of the toad fires? Is that caused by the auxiliary brake's failure to release the toad brakes?
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard horror stories of toads that let loose while they are being pulled at highway speeds.

There are many reasons. Cotter keys wear and slip out. Pins not improperly. Even malicious people pulling pins when you are stoped somewhere.

A long time ago, I bought some Blue Ox BX88101 two 1/2 locks and one 5/8 Lock Kit on Amazon. Have really given me peace of mind and security. It is also very convenient that they all use the same key and there are multiple keys.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DMFOQY..._h4PcCb7N91MBE
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Whenever I travel with my motorcycle on the back of the coach I have the rear view camera on to monitor.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #55

Toad coming loose

Similar thing happened to me, but I think the problem was mine.....not securing the bolt into the car. Although...the circle pin was, also, not around. Luckily I was on a local road and the car went to the right out of traffic. Now I double check all connections constantly!
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benalee View Post
My rear view mirror showed someone trying to overtake and pass me very closely. On third look it was my Toad. One side of Blue Ox tow bar had become disconnected, allowing the toad to swing from side to side at 65 mph. All other traffic did not dare to pass while this was happening. This was 2018 new Blue Ox setup. Credit to Blue Ox due to the remaining bar remaining under control. The circle clip on the attachment point to the Toad had left the premises, whether voluntarily or with someones help is undetermined. Lesson learned: I now Positively lock anything that may vibrate or bounce loose or be helped loose by another.
I’m somewhat relieved to see this post. I experienced a similar issue with my Blue Ox towbar. While stopping for a break, I did a walk around and discovered the lynchpin was missing on driver’s side. The pin had started to work its way out but was only partially out. I now install the pins with the loops facing out and the lynchpins on the inside of the mount facing each other. I use a bright orange nylon rope connected to two snap hooks. I connect the snap hooks to the loops on the pins that are facing out. This way if a lynch pin disappears for any reason I have the rope pulling the two pins together preventing them from coming out. The bright orange nylon rope helps me see it in the camera so I can make sure it is still in place. The clips are easy to remove. It has been working fine for me.
vgolec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad