Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
Member
 
G-Man562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 71
Toad protection

Just set up our 12 jeep wrangler jk to tow behind our 16 gas tiffin. I have mud flaps from the factory but that is it. I am curious the percentage of folks use or don't use some type of protection for the jeep...thanks....btw we have the Ready brute elite tow bar,,,,,haven't had it behind the motorhome on a trip yet...thanks
__________________

__________________
2016 Allegro 32SA--2012 4dr Jeep Rubicon
Greg&Laurie Ziggy, Jhonny, RIP Lola 2-17-16
G-Man562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 815
After a lot of research we installed the Ready Brute Elite also. Have towed for 6,000 miles and love it. Along with the tow bar research I did "protection" research. Ended up buying a Protect-A-Tow and it has worked great. I would highly recommend. Warning: Based on the NSA website we bought the larger version and it was too long. They exchanged it for the regular size with no problem.
__________________

__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
homeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: http://binged.it/1KdDqKO
Posts: 2,317
Blog Entries: 1
Pull it up on a dolly and you will have no issues with rock strikes.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Pete & Linda's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakemurray,SC
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Pull it up on a dolly and you will have no issues with rock strikes.

Thanks but I would rather have the rocks.
__________________
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
Member
 
G-Man562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
After a lot of research we installed the Ready Brute Elite also. Have towed for 6,000 miles and love it. Along with the tow bar research I did "protection" research. Ended up buying a Protect-A-Tow and it has worked great. I would highly recommend. Warning: Based on the NSA website we bought the larger version and it was too long. They exchanged it for the regular size with no problem.
thanks will look into that option
__________________
2016 Allegro 32SA--2012 4dr Jeep Rubicon
Greg&Laurie Ziggy, Jhonny, RIP Lola 2-17-16
G-Man562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man562 View Post
Just set up our 12 jeep wrangler jk to tow behind our 16 gas tiffin. I have mud flaps from the factory but that is it. I am curious the percentage of folks use or don't use some type of protection for the jeep...thanks....btw we have the Ready brute elite tow bar,,,,,haven't had it behind the motorhome on a trip yet...thanks
I have the Tiffin rear mud flap and added extensions to the mud flaps behind the rear wheels so they are about 6" above the ground. Other than that, I have not needed anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Pull it up on a dolly and you will have no issues with rock strikes.
You can't put a Jeep on a dolly without disconnecting the rear driveshaft. They can only be towed four down or on a trailer.
__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
There's a LOT of debate about using a large flap across the rear of the MH. Some say it throws up debris on the toad. I think they are mounting them too low to the ground. I use one with the bottom about 6" from the ground. I also use the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I believe that combination gives you me best possible protection! I have never had a chip on my toad!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Pete & Linda's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakemurray,SC
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
There's a LOT of debate about using a large flap across the rear of the MH. Some say it throws up debris on the toad. I think they are mounting them too low to the ground. I use one with the bottom about 6" from the ground. I also use the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I believe that combination gives you me best possible protection! I have never had a chip on my toad!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

How much of that stays on the toad?
__________________
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
How much of that stays on the toad?

None of it! The front of the toad is very clean when not towing! I'll post a pic for you later today!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,940
Check out Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products We've been using their covers since 2005--on 3 Class A's and 2 toads. This includes annual trips to Arizona and 6 trips to Alaska. We probably run about 100 miles a year on dirt and gravel roads. I've had NO, repeat NO, paint damage due to these covers despite a lot of nervous Nellie's voiced concerns.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 815
We like the Protect-A-Tow because it sits under all the cables and protects them as well.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Not a Clue's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Check out Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products We've been using their covers since 2005--on 3 Class A's and 2 toads. This includes annual trips to Arizona and 6 trips to Alaska. We probably run about 100 miles a year on dirt and gravel roads. I've had NO, repeat NO, paint damage due to these covers despite a lot of nervous Nellie's voiced concerns.
This is what we use, no damage. Just make sure the hood is clean and free of dirt before putting it on.
__________________
Linda, Robin & Buddee(Cavalier)
09 Fleetwood Fiesta 29', 08 Vue Demco/UBS
http://thetravelsoflindarobin.blogspot.com/
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Pull it up on a dolly and you will have no issues with rock strikes.
Now there's a real helpful post.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
How much of that stays on the toad?

This is what it looks like!

__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Protection For Toad alw Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 19 06-02-2010 05:36 PM
Toad Protection Question donie Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 06-11-2009 06:40 PM
Trident Protection Systems paint protection AFChap MH-General Discussions & Problems 2 09-26-2008 10:28 AM
Protection needed for Dollyed toad? EasyDoesIt Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 08-20-2008 01:12 PM
Toad Protection rvskipper Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 02-06-2006 09:01 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.