Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad protection when towing

I have just set up a 2012 Honda Fit with a Road Master base plate for towing behind our 2011 Sightseer 31e. What type of protection do you recommend? I was considering the RM Guardian stone shield. What are your thoughts and please give pros and cons of the different systems. Thanks for your help.

Moe and Jean
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use an UltraGuard that is mounted about 4" off the ground and spans the entire width of the motorhome. My motorhome also has mud flaps but I don't know if that makes much difference. Anyway, 5000 miles and no dings to our Fit.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Look at Protect a Tow. It works great on my CRV toad. The car and back of the MH stays clean. Not one chip in the CRV and just takes minutes to install.

Protect-a-Tow

Dave
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Look at Protect a Tow. It works great on my CRV toad. The car and back of the MH stays clean. Not one chip in the CRV and just takes minutes to install.

Protect-a-Tow

Dave
Looks like a great device but, if you have an exhaust that comes out the back, it will not work. I called the company to discuss and they would not even ship one to install with the rear exhaust outlet.
So as an alternative, I installed the equivelent from Road Master (same as the BlueOx KarGuard 2) and turned it upside down to make it work with the exhaust. See photos.
Problem now is that the mat is so low to the ground it can and does pick up bits of gravel and tosses it onto the front of the car.
So, I have replaced it with the Blue Ox KarGuard 1 that stands up off the tow bar next to the front of the car and provides better (in my mind) protection. Have not installed the new one yet so the jury is still out.
BTW, the Roadmaster is for sale if anyone is interested. Works great if you have a Side Exhaust rig. And cheap too. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Blue Ox - KarGard Protective Shield
Blue Ox - KarGard II
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Guard Under Tow Bar.JPG
Views:	1554
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	30212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the Exh Pipe.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	30213  

Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Thumbs up Made own Protection

Somewhere in this forum are plans for making your own based on the protecta idea. So I used these plans and went to local cavas shop with my diagram. They made one for me using the material that they use for covering dump trucks. This is really strong stuff that is extemely hard to rip and stops stones, etc from penatrating. I needed a longer version as I have to use a extension piece to lower hitch point for the Blue Ox towbars. They added reinforcing where this bar protrudes below the drawbar. Total cost was $100 including the PVC pipe to keep the cloth off the ground when turning. Went with this design/alternative as many owners complained that their mud flaps and skirts at the rear of M/H didn't do the job.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

blue OX, Etc vs protecta tow idea.

We all have our own druthers but what I liked about the protecta idea was that the stone guard material went from eyelets under the M/H bumper, under the tow bars and under the front of the toad to eyelets there. Looked like only dust would get by. MHO only.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Another thing about the Protect a Tow is it keeps the tow bar clean also.

Dave
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Portect-a-tow will work with rear exhaust if one takes the time to figure it out. I just turned my tip up a bit. My 1/2 flap across the back helps out with the rear exhaust issue as I went under the 1/2 flap with it. As in other posts I can't say enough about it.Coach is cleaner, jeep is way cleaner, and when traveling in the rain my camera stays clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06698.jpg
Views:	1590
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	30218  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would like to have gone with the Protect-a-tow but would be concerned that the Honda Fit is to low so very little clearance between it and the road could cause problems. Just using the RM Defender would allow rocks to get by and because it sets on top of the tow bar their would be no protection for the driving lights. I do not want to use the RM Guardian by its self as rocks may bounce off of it and damage the back of the MH. I would consider using both Defender and Guardian if the Guardian extended down far enough to protect the driving lights. Can anyone advise me on this?

Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejean View Post
I would like to have gone with the Protect-a-tow but would be concerned that the Honda Fit is to low so very little clearance between it and the road could cause problems. Just using the RM Defender would allow rocks to get by and because it sets on top of the tow bar their would be no protection for the driving lights. I do not want to use the RM Guardian by its self as rocks may bounce off of it and damage the back of the MH. I would consider using both Defender and Guardian if the Guardian extended down far enough to protect the driving lights. Can anyone advise me on this?

Moe
That is why I had to give up on the RockDefender with the height of my Taurus. So now I am going to try the BlueOx KarGuard. It can be trimmed such that it installs below the level of the tow bar. Hoping it will do the job. Take a look at the manual for the KarGuard on the Blue ox site.

Tags
toad, towing