Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Toad protector

have a 40 ft DP just got a toad Jeep Wrangler. D o you recommend a toad protector of some kind ? I,ve seen the screens that lie on the tow bar and also the shields that attach to the front of the toad. Any thoughts pro and con?

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
have a 40 ft DP just got a toad Jeep Wrangler. D o you recommend a toad protector of some kind ? I,ve seen the screens that lie on the tow bar and also the shields that attach to the front of the toad. Any thoughts pro and con?

Jim
The Protect-a-Tow has done a very good job for me. But there are heat related issues if you have a rear exhaust. This is covered on the web site. Mine is a side exhaust and I have no problems from the exhaust. It is easy to attach and take off and stows in a small bag.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

+1 on Protect A Tow
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a Protect-A-Tow for a couple of years. It worked good for toad protection, but I got tired of handling it when it was slimed from traveling in the rain.

Opted then for the Roadmaster Guardian Tow Shield. Works great.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

My toad is a Wrangler. If your mud flaps are not too low (scaring up pebbles) you need nothing. Wranglers are taller.

I have 26,000 miles. No toad chips. Have only flaps behind the dualies. A full rear flap needs to be 4 inches off the pavement at ride height.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #6

I have the blue ox kargard.
I got it after a tire carcass took out the front of my toad. I was pretty happy with it. It is easy to put on and take off and folds in half. However, on my way to Texas a giant hole developed in the middle of one of the guards. If something hit it in that location it would have had to have hit a bicycle and would have damaged the car. Blue ox was not interested in my story or the damaged panel. I had to buy a new one. When it is time to replace my tow bar I will not have a blue ox system.

It works for keeping road debris off the car but should last for more that 2 years.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

toad protector

thanks for the responses since I have a rear exhaust I guess I better go with the toad mounted vertical guard
Jim
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

We have the Blue Ox Karguard, been in use for 4 years now. It took a direct bird hit (still don't know how), made me glade I didn't have to clean that mess off the front of the toad.

It also stopped our rock chipping problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
thanks for the responses since I have a rear exhaust I guess I better go with the toad mounted vertical guard
Jim
Jim..... I actually use both. I have a Roadmaster Rock Shield that I bought from the previous owner of my DS. A while later I read about the Protect-a-Tow, and felt that was a more effective method. I bought the PaT planning to sell the Rock Shield, but have not gotten around to it. Now I'm thinking I'll keep both, as there is very little inconvenience involved, and the shield does provide a degree of protection from the front-side.

Regarding "heat issues" with the PaT: This can be true. The screen is a pvc coated mesh, and can melt if within a half an inch or so of the exhaust pipe or in direct line of the exhaust. I checked with the PaT folks, and they are well aware of several owners who have developed simple workarounds. I find this a minor problem. I wanted to try it, so I fabricated a standoff frame of aluminum bar stock. (see pics) It has no negative effect, works fine, no issues for the last 5000 miles.

I think the position and geometry of the PaT are a more effective protectant than a vertical shield, plus the mesh will fold into a small bag for storage. Something to think about.
Attached Images

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the KarGuard II. Our MH has a rear exhaust. I put on an exhaust extension and directed more down to the side. You have a choice now of several different companies making a screen style. One mounts over the tow bars, another mounts under the bars. so you should be able to get one that fits your car and MH the best. Had one of the RoadMaster solid panel that stood upright in front of the toad. It was OK, but my preference is for the screen style. Blue Ox makes one, NASA, READY Brute and another company Protect-A-Tow. Look them all over and measure. They get dirty when unhooking after some miles, that dirt is on the tow guard, not the toad so they must work. Safe travels...ed

Tags
toad