Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Toad question

We have a fleetwood storm that is rated to tow 5000 lbs. we have never towed a car behind an rv so the question is can we really tow 5000 lbs and still have enough power to drive 65 mph or should we scale back the weight and tow something lighter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Phil14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My coach is also rated for 5000# But I didn't want to be at the top of what the rating is. I pull a Subaru Forester with a dry weight of 3500# .. I have no trouble going 70 MPH. Just not on climbing a steep hills. Did take it over the Big Horn mountains last year with no trouble.

Howard
seadragonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Towing recommendations have a lot more to due with the strength of the frame than the power to pull any given toad. Remember, these are recommendations that are from the legal department as well as engineering department. Just my opinion, the engine size and the torque gets you over the mountains.

Tim Brunkow
2003 Monaco Executive 40PBT
2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ Toad.
griztim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil14 View Post
We have a fleetwood storm that is rated to tow 5000 lbs. we have never towed a car behind an rv so the question is can we really tow 5000 lbs and still have enough power to drive 65 mph or should we scale back the weight and tow something lighter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Phil14
If as you say, the coach is "rated to tow 5000 lbs" it can tow 5000 lbs.
If you want to tow less tow less, (I happen to tow a 2900 lb Saturn ION).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, you have a HITCH that is rated to 5000 pounds. Your actual tow rating is the lesser of 5,000 pounds and the combined gross vehicle weight rating of your motor home LESS the actuall gross weight of the Motorhome itself.

Example: My RV has a max GCVW of 26,000 actuall weight (GVW) of 22,000, Thus my tow rating is the lesser of 5000 pounds (Hitch rating same as yours) and 4000 pounds (Difference between those two numbers) or 4000 pounds, or a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV

NOTE: use of a drop hitch, or hitch extension reduces that 5K big time. (Has very little effect on the 4K figure, perhaps 25 to 50 pounds (Weight of adapter)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
wa8yxm is correct that the actual available tow weight is the gross weight rating less the actual gross weight of your motorhome, including fuel, clothes, food, tools, people, and anything else you take with you. It's best to get your motorhome weighed on a scale fully loaded and ready to go in order to get an accurate idea of just how much your motorhome weighs and how much room you have left for towing. That being said your motorhome's hitch is probably rated for 5000lbs and you can probably assume that's the Maximum weight you'd want to try to pull on a regular basis with your motorhome. Anything you can do to lessen the load for your motorhome will help with it's performance and mileage. When you start towing a car with your motorhome you will have to go through an adjustment with your driving habits. Your motorhome will not be able to pass slower vehicles like you are no doubt used to without towing a car. When towing a car we only pass if there is a passing lane unless there is a very long stretch of clear oncoming lane to use (and I mean a VERY LONG CLEAR ONCOMING LANE) which there hardly ever is, as when you put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal you'll hear the engine making a lot more noise but notice the speedometer isn't really doing much. At highway speeds your rig will maintain speeds ok going up hills with an extra down shift or 2 but gaining speed is a whole different animal while towing. That's why we spent time thinking about what kind of vehicle we really wanted to tow behind our motorhome. Weight, 4 doors, and room for 4 people were the most important determining factors for us. We're happy with our choice and I know there are many other choices that would serve you just as well.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Great Info.. Thanks everyone. Before you decided to tow did anyone rent a car once you reached your destination? If so, how did that work out for you? Still trying to decide if buying another car and setting it up for towing is worth the expense.. We are not full timers and will only be taking one or two long trips per year.
Phil14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMHO, 1 or 2 trips per year is a lot of taxis or car rentals vs purchasing a vehicle and at least $1,500 for tow bar, lights etc. Get a small electric bike for short emergency beer or milk runs.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad